In helmet audio

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Go with a Sena 30k and S-plugs and you won’t be disappointed. Been using S-plugs for 5 years now and they are the best for putting a helmet on or off.
Just realized we were talking about the same site!

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Cardo Packtalk and S-Plugs. Fantastic stereo at any speed. Protect your hearing. Skip the helmet speakers altogether.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think good IEMs will provide the best audio, but they may not work for everybody.

The first problem is – there are no quiet helmets. Some are less noisy than others. So helmet speakers no matter how good or correctly located will always have to overcome ambient helmet noise. As speed increases helmet noise increases. As noise increases the rider has to increase speaker volume. Long exposure to moderately loud volume levels can be damaging over time.

I have a Sena 20S and use the helmet speakers. I've added the various pads to bring the speakers closer to my ears for better sounding audio. However I notice whenever exiting the freeway and slowing down the music gets much louder. o_O Obviously that's not correct. As speed decreases so does helmet noise. Suddenly I'm hearing how loud the music has been.

I'll be trying IEMs at some point. A tad less convenient than helmet speakers maybe but better sound overall when on the road.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
While definitely out of fashion, whenever possible I still use wired earplugs (preferably Etymotics), but fewer and fewer of my devices now even have a dang headphone jack.
My Etymotics are rarely, if ever, dislodged (unless I'm truly slamming my helmet on), and are all-day comfortable to wear while riding. Wish I could use them forever, for their fit, comfort, AND audio quality.
This.
I plug the Etymotic buds into my Sena 50S. They kill the road noise (lessens fatigue) and have great sound.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
I think good IEMs will provide the best audio, but they may not work for everybody.

The first problem is – there are no quiet helmets. Some are less noisy than others. So helmet speakers no matter how good or correctly located will always have to overcome ambient helmet noise. As speed increases helmet noise increases. As noise increases the rider has to increase speaker volume. Long exposure to moderately loud volume levels can be damaging over time.

I have a Sena 20S and use the helmet speakers. I've added the various pads to bring the speakers closer to my ears for better sounding audio. However I notice whenever exiting the freeway and slowing down the music gets much louder. o_O Obviously that's not correct. As speed decreases so does helmet noise. Suddenly I'm hearing how loud the music has been.

I'll be trying IEMs at some point. A tad less convenient than helmet speakers maybe but better sound overall when on the road.
Wouldn't those interfere with the helmet though, do you have any iem's in mind

Bike
2006 ST1300
Wouldn't those interfere with the helmet though, do you have any iem's in mind
Someone on here turned me onto Plugfones brand IEM's, and they have changed the way I ride. I can now ride all day with earplugs in, with no pain, and great noise attenuation. Sound quality is good, and the price is very reasonable.

OP
OP
john_needs_a_bike
Someone on here turned me onto Plugfones brand IEM's, and they have changed the way I ride. I can now ride all day with earplugs in, with no pain, and great noise attenuation. Sound quality is good, and the price is very reasonable.
Are those the wired ones, and also an earplug?

Bike
2000 ST1100
The Cardo Packtalk has an auto volume feature, similar to that found in many cars today, that raises or lowers the volume depending on ambient noise. However, I had to that off because the volume would not get loud enough at higher speeds. I read that tip after searching for low volume problems with the Cardo. If I were to get a quieter helmet I might try the feature again.

Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
The faster I go, the less I want audio distractions. I'm wearing a run-of-the mill fullface helmet but it's not the quietest. Using a BlueTooth knock-off generic system and can hear phone and GPS well enough under 80kph/50 mph. Don't know it it will mesh with Sena and/or Cardio but will find out this summer. I can't afford to get the perfect audio in the helmet anyway lol.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
I ride with a Nolan N100/5 modular and just bought the B902L-R Bluetooth kit for it. Made for Nolan by Sena, this is my first set since my N91 with the Nolan proprietary Bluetooth kit that didn’t work worth beans. It integrates beautifully into the helmet and took less than 10 minutes to install.

I can ride at 140kph and have a call with someone and they never comment on the call quality. A few times I’ve had the chin bar up and on one occasion the mic was below the bar. No one noticed a change in the sound quality.

Streamed music sounds great at any speed, bar up or down.

It connects to my cell phone every time with no issues. I can easily manage it from an app on my PC or iPhone.

So from a telephone, Bluetooth, sound quality perspective, it’s all aces.

The only spot it falls flat is the integrated FM tuner: think pure 1970’s AMC Pacer FM radio with a broken antenna performance and you’re in the zone. Truly awful.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I agree that the prices are outrageous - but it does make the riding experience much more fun with music, radio, podcasts and blabbing with riding buddies.

Everything you know is in these two videos (and I favour the Fortnine test as RyanF9 has a long track record of independence). I have the CARDO PackTalk Bold and the sound really is good.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's just so weird, being the same age as old people, y'know?
Not to steal a thread, but I visited a mc buddy* who lives in a retirement community. Couldn't get over the fact that all the people there were...OLD. (I've got 10 years on you, Mark.)
*Same age as I am.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
This.
I plug the Etymotic buds into my Sena 50S. They kill the road noise (lessens fatigue) and have great sound.
Even the helmet-mounted Sena (and similar offerings) have begun dropping the speaker jack for wired earpieces, following the trend of today's phones.
It limits which models I can choose, and while I haven't sprung for one yet, it will be the top feature I must have. I'll likely have to get one of the older models.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Are these the correct ones
Yes, those are the ones. I have used them for about 2 years now, and could not be more pleased with them. I use them for more than riding- mowing the lawn, woodworking, anything that I normally wear hearing protection. At my age, tinnitus is a problem, I don’t want it to get worse.
I find that the noise attenuation makes riding even more relaxing, and I’m fresher when I finally do stop.
I normally use it with a Bluetooth adaptor, streaming music ( and/or GPS directions) from my phone.

STOC #
I use the Cardo Freecom 2 with the upgrade JBL speakers in my Arai Quantum and couldn't be happier. Plenty of volume no matter the speed, never have a problem hearing the navigation and being an old audiophile, the music sound quality is really good. So good that on more than one occasion I've worn my helmet into the house when an especially good song comes on.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Cardo Freecom 4+. iasus speakers, iasus amplifier. Plenty of volume and more than enough battery power. 12Hours+. I've never run either Cardo or Amp down on battery.

xsound3-large-1.jpghelmet-amplifer-music.jpg

Top Bottom