In need of another TPMS system

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
Here's what appears to be the Hawkshead under a different name on Amazon
So it's either a Chinese knock-off or the same manufacturer sells to Hawkshead and RUPSE. That's a tempting price. Unc - how far do you have to move your bike to get a reading for both tires?

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Here is a link to the "new" HawksHead. Motion acivated so it doesn't have to be turned off and on. I'm going to get one before the season starts. It also says you can move it from bike to bike. I don't know how that would work unless it lets you program in 4 sensors. I don't think reprogramming it and switching the sensors from bike to bike would be popular.

https://www.tpms.ca/motorcycle-cruiser-2.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8ha_UB38dDcn791GKpMUE29GRiYJ_zzO5zv9KF5F6DIw9Gzoday6j0aAk7oEALw_wcB
it might be a great unit, but:

$ 179 and then they have the nerve to charge you $15 more for shipping.

Call me cheap, but seeing that really ticks me off......

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
So it's either a Chinese knock-off or the same manufacturer sells to Hawkshead and RUPSE. That's a tempting price. Unc - how far do you have to move your bike to get a reading for both tires?
I've turned mine on and seen it 'wake up' while sitting there. At worse, it's reading before I leave the driveway.
My usual routine is start the ST1100, go get my gear on, then come back. Sometimes I have a reading then, sometimes I don't.
But once you get moving, they come 'on' pretty quickly.
When I get the 'RUPSE', I'll do a real good look at it to see if it is the 'Hawkshead' incognito since I have the real deal to compare to! ;)
Someone told me (but I haven't verified) that the Hawkshead sensors are the same ones that the Garmin TPMS uses.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here is a link to the "new" HawksHead. Motion acivated so it doesn't have to be turned off and on. I'm going to get one before the season starts. It also says you can move it from bike to bike. I don't know how that would work unless it lets you program in 4 sensors. I don't think reprogramming it and switching the sensors from bike to bike would be popular.

https://www.tpms.ca/motorcycle-cruiser-2.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtP_iBRDGARIsAEWJA8ha_UB38dDcn791GKpMUE29GRiYJ_zzO5zv9KF5F6DIw9Gzoday6j0aAk7oEALw_wcB
Unless they've changed, the only way you could do that is to reset the unit for the other sensors on the other bike. The unit has the 'bluetooth' address of the two sensors which is unique to each sensor cap. If your cap goes 'south', you have to reseq the new sensor to the 'brain'.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
it might be a great unit, but:
$ 179 and then they have the nerve to charge you $15 more for shipping.
Call me cheap, but seeing that really ticks me off......
Why - because they paid for the R&D and are trying to make it back? The Chinese are notorious for taking a company's plans and designs and manufacturing a product for them, then setting up another factory down the street to make the same product and sell it cheaper.
Just a way of life for them. And Hawkshead are shipping from Canada to the USA which can be very expensive in my experience.

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
Hmmm... not sure how shipping costs figure into the selling price of a item or into R&D cost recovery.

Let’s build a $112,000 CDN Cadillac Escalade. Comes fully equipped with a delivery charge of $2,100 CDN plus, in my area, a 13% sales tax, for a total of $2,373 CDN. That’s a lot for a trip of 1466ish miles. And, depending on sales volume, a lot for “R&D” recovery. Yup, I’m not sure there’s a lot of anything new on this vehicle.

The reality is that the $179 probably covers R&D, production, marketing and sales costs. Not to mention profit. For most small businesses, that will be in the single digits, between 6 and 8%.

Might just be my opinion but I’d say thanks and here’s my order, assuming it meets your needs.

G

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have the Hawks Head system that purchased as a group buy a couple years ago, maybe longer . Mine started giving me trouble last year. One unit leaked air slowly, 1.5 pounds a week, the other would send a signal to the head unit as if I was experiencing a fast leak. Changed batteries problem still exists. I need to contact them and send them back for repair or buy a new set. I've put this off for a while need to take care of that ASAP!

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
ASAP indeed! There’s only a few thousand hours of snow, ice and cold to go...

Wait, you’re in Tennessee... never mind :)

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fali - What I found is you can 'roach' the sensor and make it leak if you put it on too tight (don't ask me how I know thato_O).
But I've found Hawkshead to be good with their support in the times that I have contacted them.
You can buy just the sensors (since I presume you've checked the charge on the brain).

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The Rupse and Hawkshead are the same, as well as unbranded. All made in the same place, IMHO freely available if they don't have an exclusive supply agreement. I have used the unbranded, search ebay, currently can get for $75. Wireless monitor unit is waterproof and battery charge lasts for months, maybe the whole riding season. Sensors go into sleep mode, so when you prepare to ride next day, either move the bike (best) or bump the tires to wake them up. If you left the display on, reading will display last reading before sleep mode, but a few minutes later will update after you wake them up.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the Hawkshead unit I have used mine for a few years now with no issues and like Phil said it only needs to be charged once or twice a year. And if you have multiple bikes its easy to move from one to the other.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
FWIW, I've had the HawksHead TPMS for a few years and really like it... waterproof, long battery life in the display (recharge every few weeks with daily use) and very small sensors with easily replaceable batteries.

Wow, that's less than 1/2 of the HawksHead!!

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I looked at these but then thought they were out of business as you can't add to cart?
Yeah, I see that. I've emailed Gordon, the proprietor, to see what the story is. Meanwhile, just googling Orange Electronics TPMS shows they have a newer motorcycle system (M207) with right angle valve stems and different looking display. The still list RRRToolsolutions.com as an authorized dealer.

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
Double check on the Tireguard - the last time I looked at them the brain was not waterproof which was a big drawback for me.
Well here is the official response to my e-mail inquiry:
Thanks for asking. The factory does not claim these to be waterproof. They list them as water resistant. They do come with the waterproof cover that should protect it under most circumstances. I have had one on my bike for the last six years. I never use the cover and the unit is still working fine. But, technically, the answer is no, they are not waterproof.

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
I have a Tiregard system on my ST that works well, I moved this from my GL1500 to my Virago. The sensors have button batteries that are replaceable and a battery powered meter that can be mounted most anywhere. It shows tire pressure and temperature
Have you been caught in the rain with this system?
Did it survive or did you remove it before being drenched?

The company is not claiming water proof but water resistant.

Top Bottom