In need of another TPMS system

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
FWIW...

Ole FoBo warned me today on my iPhone that the front tire is down 5psi from Saturday. So I guess its paying its keep. But now i have to figure out how i have a leak when i dont see any punctures. Time to stick the wheel in a big bucket and look for bubbles or brush watery soap on it? Whats the trick way these days?

4DB08A10-388C-460D-BE10-2726BB8570D3.png

Arrr!
:hijacked:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
In this circumstance I'd inspect the tire very closely looking for any possible foreign object or cut/slit/damage that might be a problem. Spray Windex on anything you may find. Don't forget the valve stem or FOBO if the tire reveals nothing.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thank u DD
PS. At my weight and usual lack of cargo I used to run 38 psi on the front, especially with Michelin tires. It was in their fitment guides for first gen PRs and PR2s. IIRC Michelin used to recommend 36-38 F and 38-40 R with Pilot Roads. The lawyers fixed that.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Since Doran is out of the TPMS business (the chips for the sensors are no longer available and it's such a small market for them they've decided not to pursue finding another vendor) I'm looking for another system.

This has been a great thread and I'm now focused on the HawksHead Moto Track Cruiser 2 system. One question I haven't been able to answer from the input here . . . will the wheel sensors mount on any valve stem (like my Ariete 90 degree stems) or are the valve stems from HH integral to their TPMS system?

Standing by,
Shuey

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Shuey - No they are not. Just a note - Amazon has a sort of 'knock off' -

The brain appears to be the same brain as the Hawkshead (which I have 3 of) but the caps on the Rupse are a little larger.
I bought one when they were $80 just to see if they were identical and as a spare.
I plan on running the Rupse on my new ST1100 to see if there are any issues.
That being said, the Hawkshead have worked great for me over many miles.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Shuey, that exact unit is available cheaper under brand name Rupse... good system, I had one.
Mounting the sensors on Ariete's on an FJR is touch and go, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll have to rotate the front stem in toward the center of the front wheel to avoid contact with the brake calipers, if the Ariete's low profile will let you. Optional T-stem is best, allows sensor up the center of the wheel and to add/remove air without removing the sensor and losing air. T-stems available cheaper from Fobo. Other suppliers include Wingstuff and Cyclemax Ohio.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The Rupse/Hawkshead display unit stays charged for several months... it originally came with a random pick of two or three sensor types, mainly differing in size and battery. I think they have settled in on the one with the biggest battery.
I am currently testing a Steelmate TP-90 which has a wired remote. Tracks pressure and temperature (which I'm not concerned about), and has a voltmeter... will warn of low voltage to the parameters you set. Downside, does not display current pressure until you are moving (I have further testing to do), whereas Rupse will (after a couple of minutes) if you wake up the sensors by moving the bike or kicking the tires.
I also have Garmin sensors for my Zumo 590, which displays after the sensors are woken up.
Fobo (perhaps other BT to phone types) display instantly as the sensors don't go to sleep.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I took my motorhome on the Blueridge between Asheville and Boone last week. I had a sticky left caliper. Before I left I installed a TPMS that had the temperature feature. The temperature shot up to 190 and the alarm went off. I knew something was wrong because the brake pedal rose an inch. I pulled over and let it cool off for 45 minutes and all was OK. I had the pins lubed and new high performance brake fluid done last year.

I guess it is time for new calipers on the front.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I have the FoBo TPMS and like it. The HawksHead and clone display appeals to me mainly 'cuz I like displays. If it wakes up just kicking the tires a switch could be in order. It would be nice if one set of sensors worked simultaneously with both the FoBo app and HawksHead brain.

A plus with the FoBo is getting an audible alert via my Sena if something's afoot. How noticeable is the HH/R in the daylight and underway? Any ST1300s using the HawksHead/Rupse TPMSs? If so where did you mount the display?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I How noticeable is the HH/R in the daylight and underway? Any ST1300s using the HawksHead/Rupse TPMSs? If so where did you mount the display?
The Hawkshead/Rupse is very readable in the daylight and also has a backlight that comes on in the dark.
On the ST1100, I velcro mine right to the handlebar cover so I can easily see it at a glance.
It comes with a handlebar attachment/clamp.

Top Bottom