In need of another TPMS system

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Uncle Phil said:
The Hawkshead/Rupse is very readable in the daylight and also has a backlight that comes on in the dark.
I assumed it would be. My question goes to the effectiveness of the visual alert- any gauge/display is only useful if you look at it. Should the HH/R units give you an alert is it easily 'caught' in daylight?

On the ST1100, I velcro mine right to the handlebar cover so I can easily see it at a glance.
It comes with a handlebar attachment/clamp.
Hm. I have a Helibar riser with a DIN/powerlet plug and RAM ball. There may not be any room for a display (unless the RAM ball is modded/replaced. The 1300 doesn't have standard 7/8" handlebars like the 1100 so a traditional clamp won't work. Still not necessarily a deal breaker.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
OK, ordering the HawksHead Moto Track Cruiser 2 TPMS. Why? It was mentioned that the sensor cap was slightly smaller than the Rupse one. Size might make a difference so, even though more expensive . . . we'll see.

I've got over 300k miles on Ariete valve stems and never had one fail. They're beefier than steel ones I've seen and I am aware of failures (See Post #65 for example). I've never heard of an Ariete failing. I'll stick with what I know . . . for now. The only question remaining will the sensor installed on the front wheel clear the brake calipers?

The Doran sensor is tapered at the bottom allowing it to be mounted closer to the center of the rim. Don't know how different the caliper arrangement might be between an ST1100 and my FJR, but thanks DeanR for your input. It's encouraging.

I'll post back after I get to take a look.

Shuey

PS: I like the display screens of the HawksHead and Rupse much better than the Doran. When pressure got low the Doran lit up the windshield and entire dash area a really bright red that demanded attention. How about the HawksHead?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Shuey - A small flashing red light in the lower right corner and the display flashes (IIRC).
Supposedly, the Hawkshead sensors are the smallest out there.
Someone told me they looked like the same ones that Garmin uses, but I've not verified it.
One nice think about the Hawkshead, is you can purchase the individual pieces if something goes south without buying the whole unit.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Shuey said:
Size might make a difference so, even though more expensive . . . we'll see.
That's what sh... Uh never mind. Somebody mentioned something about battery size. It wasn't difficult at all to change the batteries in the FoBo units. I forgot what batteries they use. The HH and R sensors are probably just as easy.

If battery life isn't too short then a smaller sensor is more insurance the sensor won't hit a caliper. Good to know about the Ariete stems' reliability.

When pressure got low the Doran lit up the windshield and entire dash area a really bright red that demanded attention. How about the HawksHead?
That could be annoying at night but a life saver in the daytime.

Last edited:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I assumed it would be. My question goes to the effectiveness of the visual alert- any gauge/display is only useful if you look at it. Should the HH/R units give you an alert is it easily 'caught' in daylight?
Flashing red light in the lower right corner (see my response to Shuey). ;)

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
you might not hear it.
Make that .. will not hear it.
Mine was beeping at one point for some reason (not a pressure alarm, maybe low batteries? but was not consistent) Had no clue until stopped and helmet off. Earplugs and no music.
Has not happened since replacing the sensor batteries.

OP
OP
ST-Traveler
Bike
2007 ST1300
FWIW:
I have now put over 3500 miles on with my new Tiregard TPMS. So far it has performed flawlessly. I am pleased. I have even got water on the brains (during this last trip) and no problem. The sensors are very accurate with my pressure gauge.

ardykay54

Russ "NeonMan" Knock
Bike
22 Kaw Z900rs 50 ann
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use the HH from the group buy. On the ST1300 I velcroed it on the small blank space to the right of the 0 mph part of the speedometer face....on the CTX I use the handlebar mount.....still works well. Russ.

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Received my HH Moto Track Cruiser 2 TPMS and . . . man, the sensors are only half as big as the Doran ones! Very easy fit on my Ariete angled valve stems and I'm sure will work fine on ST1300s as well as other FJRs.

Thanks all here for the recommendation. I look forward to seeing someone with the FOBO sensors to see the difference between it and the HH ones.

Shuey

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I think the only place to get the HH is here at the HH website. The Rupse one on Amazon appears to be the exact same device at a much lower cost... $103 vs $194 shipped.

I've had the HH for several years and it works really well, but if I were purchasing again, I'd give the Rupse a try to save $90.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Wow, here's another HH type TPMS for $60. Looks to be the exact same one, just like the Rupse. You could buy three of these for the cost of the HH.

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
As a side note, lately I've read reviews on Amazon listed products that have nothing to do with the product itself. As an example, the TPMS link I listed above has reviews for products other than that TPMS. I've seen this before on other products and found this article on Business Insider that discusses these mixed up reviews. Seems to be a common thing, making me not trust the Star rating without digging into the reviews. Frustrating that no matter where I go, people are trying to scam me. :mad:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Just a note - The Rupse (and I assume other copies) sensors are bigger than the Hawkshead.
That may or may not matter to users.
I have both and plan to install the Rupse on my newest ST1100 just to compare how it works versus the Hawkshead.
Interesting, it looks like the Rupse sensors are the size of the old HH model sensors. I had the old HH model first, and switched to the new model when I wrecked my ST11 a few years ago.

FWIW, the larger sensors worked just fine on my angled metal valve stems.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Interesting, it looks like the Rupse sensors are the size of the old HH model sensors. I had the old HH model first, and switched to the new model when I wrecked my ST11 a few years ago.

FWIW, the larger sensors worked just fine on my angled metal valve stems.
I didn't see as a problem unless the angled stems are 'close' to the rim or the caliper.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
paulcb said:
As a side note, lately I've read reviews on Amazon listed products that have nothing to do with the product itself.
This has been a long time problem with Amazon. They're crap at assigning a review to it's correct product.

That's probably a function of the way Amazon lists products in the first place especially if there are different product options under one listing.

Sometimes a reviewer will list the exact product name in the description as well as offer a product link so you know what's what but the star ratings are still skew by Amazon not getting things properly sorted.

Top Bottom