INNOVV K2 Review

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
To start off with, I have a INNOVV K1 that I really liked, except it would quit recording and you would hear "Recording Stopped" over and over again, until you pulled the battery out of the unit, so I was a little skeptical on picking up a INNOVV K2.

But when I went to the SoCal Motorcycle show in Long Beach, the INNOVV guys were there with a deal I couldn't resist! The normal price of the unit is $340 from the company. The show price was $300. And when I told them I had a the K1 model and experienced what most did about the recording stopped issue, they told me since I was a previous customer, they would sell me the K2 for $260.

Okay, for $260, I would give it a shot.

INNOVV-K2.jpg

Hooking up the the unit is much easier than the old unit, there is less to it, plus they changed from the mini usb to type C usb connectors and they have thumb screws to secure them to the DVR. Also, you now have a App on you cell phone to setup and view the DVR. The old DVR had a small screen on it, the new one does not.

When hooking up the unit to the bike, you need one hot wire going to the battery (on all the time) and then one to a "switch on", which I connected to my fuseblock. Of course there is a ground wire to attach. You then need to mount the GPS antenna and the two cameras. These cameras are round, instead of the K1 which were cubes. I found that there was plenty of cable coming from each camera (almost too much) to reach from under the right front headlight and the rear left reflector. I mounted each attached to screws and not mounting tape.

I'll provide pictures of my mounts later.

I have been riding around with them now for several weeks. I put a 128GB micro SD chip in the unit (be careful putting the chip in, the first time I did I missed the mount and had to open up the unit to retrieve it!) Currently I have it set for 5 minutes for each file. I think I'll change that to 10 minutes, since trying to download to your phone takes too long anyway (which you can do through the App, but that requires you to have the bike on to do so. to me, that's one draw back.) I pulled the chip out and viewed several of the segments through my computer, and I think they look pretty good. I didn't notice any bouncing or anything but clear video (just clean the front lens once in a while.)

Overall I'm quit pleased with this unit. While still a little pricey, it is much better than the original K1 unit and with being able to view it from your cell phone app, means you don't have to dig for the DVR out of the tail section of your bike.

There are a number of features that this unit has, but I'll refer you to their website for that. INNOVV K2

I'll throw some of my video on to Youtube and provide a link, later...

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Okay, for $260, I would give it a shot.
Such a deal! I'd be tempted to go to the next SoCal show to attempt to work that price!

I'm a little torn between using segmented loops and a long uninterrupted one. I'm fully aware of the advantages of both, and for commuting, the loops are an obvious choice. What options does the K2 have in this respect? Could you have a long segment- 30min or more? Would a collision or manual 'bookmark' save a 30s segment? I like that it plays nice with a 128G card. Looking forward to your vids and pics.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Such a deal! I'd be tempted to go to the next SoCal show to attempt to work that price!

I'm a little torn between using segmented loops and a long uninterrupted one. I'm fully aware of the advantages of both, and for commuting, the loops are an obvious choice. What options does the K2 have in this respect? Could you have a long segment- 30min or more? Would a collision or manual 'bookmark' save a 30s segment? I like that it plays nice with a 128G card. Looking forward to your vids and pics.
With a 125GB chip it should be able to record just over 10 hours.

And it does support up to 256GB chip. So double the recording time.

The longest segment is 10 minutes that it will do. You can do shorter, like 1 minute, but that would create a lot of files!

I guess I should have said that it connects to your cell phone through WiFi and not Bluetooth.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Thanks for the review Bob. As you know, I've been disappointed in my K1 for the same reasons you reported here, and have been casting about for alternatives.

If INNOVV are at the DC show in early Feb, I will look into a K2 and hope for the same deal. Might even take my K1 DVR as proof of ownership...

Looking forward to further updates as your experiences grow.

Happy New Year.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
And it does support up to 256GB chip. So double the recording time...

it connects to your cell phone through WiFi and not Bluetooth
Wow. 256G support is outstanding especially if they were to eventually support 60fps. And about the WiFi— does it do an ad hoc connection or does it need to connect to a regular WiFi network and then accessed by your phone?

Looking forward to further updates as your experiences grow.
+1

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And about the WiFi— does it do an ad hoc connection or does it need to connect to a regular WiFi network and then accessed by your phone?
It connects directly to your phone's WiFi. Once you can turn the unit on, just go to your phone's WiFi settings, I think a password is required...12345678 (I think) and then it just connects anytime you turn your bike on. It does take a couple of minutes though.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I just posted an update on my HaloCam on a BMW forum. I'll toss in one of the pictures I posted for comparison when the K2 pictures are posted.

After about 4 months of ownership, I'm really pleased. It has been truly an install and forget camera. No hiccups with it after the initial swap of a defective unit. The cost is about $100 less than the INNOVV K2, but seems to be the same quality.

Chris

Attachments

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I just posted an update on my HaloCam on a BMW forum. I'll toss in one of the pictures I posted for comparison when the K2 pictures are posted.

After about 4 months of ownership, I'm really pleased. It has been truly an install and forget camera. No hiccups with it after the initial swap of a defective unit. The cost is about $100 less than the INNOVV K2, but seems to be the same quality.

Chris

Huh? It's 5:35 pm on New Year's Eve 2018 in the Eastern Time Zone. How'd it get to be 39 minutes after midnight on 1/1/2019 in Seattle already? And why is it still so light out? :)

Thanks for the update on your experience.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Some of us on the wet coast are pretty speedy. :D Also, we are pretty high up in latitude. The land of the midnight sun and all that... ;)

I think I need to check the settings for time and date.

Chris

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Got one! Here is my first published video from my INNOVV K2

You will see my headlight modulating on the rear of the cages in front of me and a Balloon off in the distance coming down, which makes the road even better for riding a motorcycle...NOT! :eek:

It's only 5 minutes...

Trip Home 1-4-2019

So far, I'm very pleased with the results. The cameras seems to be clear and the App is pretty easy to use. It took about 3 to 4 minutes to download this to my phone through the app. I then "Shared" the video to YouTube. Very easy!

Last edited:

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Got one! Here is my first published video from my INNOVV K2

You will see my headlight modulating on the rear of the cages in front of me and a Balloon off in the distance coming down, which makes the road even better for riding a motorcycle...NOT! :eek:

It's only 5 minutes...

Trip Home 1-4-2019

So far, I'm very pleased with the results. The cameras seems to be clear and the App is pretty easy to use. It took about 3 to 4 minutes to download this to my phone through the app. I then "Shared" the video to YouTube. Very easy!
Looks good Bob. I expect to see many videos in the near future.
Don't forget to record your many lane splitting days going and coming to work.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Looks good Bob. I expect to see many videos in the near future.
Don't forget to record your many lane splitting days going and coming to work.
Jim, they are getting recorded, but don't expect too many on YouTube, there's lots better to watch than me Lane Splitting...

But, I'll try to remember to post one of me Lane Splitting in the dark! o_O

Bike
2010 ST1300
But, I'll try to remember to post one of me Lane Splitting in the dark! o_O

How about in rain and darkness!!

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
How about during during earthquakes then?
I would say that riding on Kalifornia roads would give you about the same jerking around, (you can see my front fender bouncing up and down) and this camera is staying pretty smooth, so I doubt if Earthquakes would be much different!:rofl1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last edited:

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Hi Bob-

Thanks for the review and the sample videos. They look good, though I noticed that license tags are not readable in the low light conditions. Still, it's good to have as much evidence as possible in the event of a dispute or if forensic analysis is required.

Two questions about your install:

1: both front and rear fields of view are significantly tilted. Does the mount enable you to rotate the cameras to correct for that? Or is it necessary to actually bend the bracket to get the image level?

2: on your front camera I noticed a small spacer (see photo). Did you add that yourself? I assume it required finding and using a longer screw than the stock item, to add the required length? What's the purpose of the spacer?

InnovvK2Front.png

Top Bottom