INNOVV K2 Review

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Even under the seat can get warm, but not like the hot pockets in the fairings.

I think I read that the K2 DVR runs cooler than the K1. Still... no reason to cook the thing unnecessarily.

And @cjames431 point about having to disconnect every time the fairings come off is right on target. Add to that the fact that you'd need to unthread and then reinsert the cables through whatever holes you had to make, and to seal those holes each time...

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My only disconnect when removing the fairing will be to remove the screw the front camera is attached with and let the thing dangle down until I put the fairing back on. With the K2, there is no reason to have immediate access to the DVR, except to plug in a USB cord to it to run it without turning the bike on when downloading the videos you want to. If you plan on removing the chip and copy ALL your videos, then that could be an issue I guess.

Otherwise, bury it behind the rear saddle and forget about it. :cool:

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Just received a K2 from my loving family for my Bday! Got it working well on the bench, and the quality of its build and video is impressive! Can't compare to the M1 which might be better for the price, but not going to look a gifthorse in the mouth! lol ...
Free is always good. :D Can't complain about that at all.

I feel I should clarify something though. I think there's a feeling that the Halocam M1 must be inferior in some way to the INNOVV K2 because it costs less. The M1 isn't just a better deal for the price, it is in every way that I can see equivalent to the K2. It just costs half what the K2 does. Obviously, I would not take back a K2 to buy the M1. The K2 is a great camera and the money is spent. But if you're sitting on the fence trying to decide which to get, I'd look closely at the M1 too. If you compare specs and the video results, I think you'll find they are identical.

And just to be clear...I have no financial interest in Halocam. I just like passing on good deals when I find them.

Chris

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Now that I have missed the chance to get a K2 at less than retail, I am planning to get the Halo if / when I ditch or retire the K1. I agree that it appears to do everything the K1 does, for much less money.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
If I plug the dvr into a wall charger would I do any damage?
If you're talking about a USB 5v charger, no it won't. I use a USB battery type charger to plug into my K2, so I can download what videos I want to without having to turn the bike on to do the same.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If I plug the dvr into a wall charger would I do any damage?
As long it supplies 5VDC at 2A you should be fine. An OEM phone or tablet charger or a USB power bank that meets that spec might work depending on the connectors used on the DVR.

ibike2havefun said:
Now that I have missed the chance to get a K2 at less than retail, I am planning to get the Halo if / when I ditch or retire the K1. I agree that it appears to do everything the K1 does, for much less money.
The price difference is considerable. But two things about the K2 (owning neither camera system) that appeal to me are the 120º field of view and the option of 720p/60fps.

The M1 has a 155ºfov which means images are smaller at the same distance as would be seen on a K2. This would likely impact my main reason for a bike cam — reading license plates.

Playing with resolutions on my iPhone (though I don't have a 720p/60fps setting) FPS can be a big if not bigger factor in resolving a plate than resolution alone. But that comes at a price obviously. So it's a matter of personal preference to me.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks guys! Under the pillion it is. Didn't think about the continuous PITA to pull the sides off... FYI, I do have a hole drilled in the back corner of the right pocket that runs the GPS power from a dealer installed accessory outlet. Never had any water come in there, and if it did it would drain back out. This side serves as my "charging station" for phone and SENA during stops.

It looks like a difference between the K1/M1 vs. K2 is the former have a built in battery. This allows the units to "cycle out" and close the current vid file once power is cut to the unit. The K2 has an external power supply that senses when the ignition is off and then cycles out the DVR. My bench testing shows a 6-10ma draw (no park mode) when in standby, and ~30ma with park enabled. Once battery voltage drops below 12.5 this is reduced to 6ma.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
After looking at the M1, comparing it to this "Other (Noname)" MC F/B recording system I bought, the M1 is sort of similar (at least the cases are) to this Camera system, I bought for $35. There are some major differences I see (besides the $200+ price tag), the front camera is 140 degree, where as the rear is 100 degree. Also, it does not come with the WiFi, GPS nor the "15 second record button" that the M1 comes with. I doubt if the quality would be the same either. It just makes me wonder if the same manufacturer is making a bunch of versions of these cameras.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So one thing I have found with this I don't like is that it likes the battery! :mad:

I let the 2010 sit for a week (just one week) and when I went to start it up the following week, the battery was dead! My brand new Shorai! So I yanked it out and put it on life support (the Shorai battery charger - which looks like it revived it) and plunked back in the cheap eBay battery that I had fixed (loose connection) and recharged and the bike came back alive!

Again, this last weekend I was sick and didn't ride for 3 days. The 2010 started, but there was a little hesitation before it did!

So if you have the K2 in your bike, don't let it sit without the charger attached, or don't connect that (required) hot wire to your battery!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
SupraSabre said:
So if you have the K2 in your bike, don't let it sit without the charger attached, or don't connect that (required) hot wire to your battery!
My 'Wing buddy is considering getting K2s for his BMW and 'Wing. The 'hot wire' is to power the whole system? Is the Parking feature a separate lead? And not the parasitic draw?

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My 'Wing buddy is considering getting K2s for his BMW and 'Wing. The 'hot wire' is to power the whole system? Is the Parking feature a separate lead? And not the parasitic draw?
It's so there is power to the unit to finish recording when power is cut. But I would like to know why it's draining my battery in such a short period of time?

Attachments

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
So one thing I have found with this I don't like is that it likes the battery! :mad:

I let the 2010 sit for a week (just one week) and when I went to start it up the following week, the battery was dead! My brand new Shorai! So I yanked it out and put it on life support (the Shorai battery charger - which looks like it revived it) and plunked back in the cheap eBay battery that I had fixed (loose connection) and recharged and the bike came back alive!

Again, this last weekend I was sick and didn't ride for 3 days. The 2010 started, but there was a little hesitation before it did!

So, the K2s are a battery killer. Glad you got your Shorai back to life.
So, keep your bike on a battery charger if you run the K2s or do not connect it straight to your battery.
Word to the wise.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, the K2s are a battery killer. Glad you got your Shorai back to life.
So, keep your bike on a battery charger if you run the K2s or do not connect it straight to your battery.
Word to the wise.
Need some sort of timer to kill that connection after the bike is shut off.

Anybody got any ideas?

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Anybody got any ideas?

Something like that, job jobbed.

EDIT: in truth, I'd probably run an RPi, and home brew the software, then find other things the Pi could do for me (like a mobile media centre). If that's of interest to you, post back - the software would probably take all of an hour to write...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #

Something like that, job jobbed.

EDIT: in truth, I'd probably run an RPi, and home brew the software, then find other things the Pi could do for me (like a mobile media centre). If that's of interest to you, post back - the software would probably take all of an hour to write...

It looks like it's Function 10 would do the trick!

I have a hard enough time with electronics, so i have no idea what a RPi and then home brew the software even is.... :rolleyes:

Just trying to set up this switch would be a challenge! o_O

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Yup, function 10 would do the trick for you.

I won't confuse the subject by going into detail, just buy the above, when it arrives, if the setup isn't clear, drop me a PM (or see UK RAN list for more contact options).

Edit: see 14.5 for the wiring diagram I would opt for. And either function mode 10 or 12 (programming is described in section 8).

Last edited:
OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yup, function 10 would do the trick for you.

I won't confuse the subject by going into detail, just buy the above, when it arrives, if the setup isn't clear, drop me a PM (or see UK RAN list for more contact options).

Edit: see 14.5 for the wiring diagram I would opt for. And either function mode 10 or 12 (programming is described in section 8).
Excellent, it's been ordered! I'll let you know if I need help! :D

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
While I don't have a dash cam on my ST... yet, I do have one in my car and use this product. It allows you to set a voltage at which the camera will be shut off. I never had a problem starting my car after any length of time. So after the ignition is shut off, the camera loses power when the battery voltage gets lower than a pre-programned level. If/when I install my bike dash cam, I'll be looking at this unit if I start having battery issues.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
While I don't have a dash cam on my ST... yet, I do have one in my car and use this product. It allows you to set a voltage at which the camera will be shut off. I never had a problem starting my car after any length of time. So after the ignition is shut off, the camera loses power when the battery voltage gets lower than a pre-programned level. If/when I install my bike dash cam, I'll be looking at this unit if I start having battery issues.

Okay, I haven't seen that option, I'll have to check for it, but with the ST1300, it doesn't take much to drain the battery!

Top Bottom