INNOVV K2 Review

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I think a Raspberry Pi would be overkill and a wasted of tech for Supe's needs. It could be had pretty cheap though if DIY were an option.

The Power Magic Pro is neat but the Mini Timer looks tough to beat.

SupraSabre said:
Excellent, it's been ordered!
Supe - have you contacted Tech Support to see if this is typical or trouble? (Well I guess it's trouble either way.)

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I think a Raspberry Pi would be overkill and a wasted of tech for Supe's needs. It could be had pretty cheap though if DIY were an option.
I agree, I only really thought of it as I have 3 or them gathering dust at the moment, and already have the needed wires & resistors etc. Though, not everyone is quite as geeky as me.

For this situation, the programmable mini timer is more than sufficient (they can be a faff to setup, but the instructions are clear enough).

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
I did some current draw measurements when I got mine and posted in the Innovv forum, but it got buried by some abuse:
On the newer power supplies, looks like the drain is minimal if parking mode is NOT enabled. No mods necessary.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I did some current draw measurements when I got mine and posted in the Innovv forum, but it got buried by some abuse:
On the newer power supplies, looks like the drain is minimal if parking mode is NOT enabled. No mods necessary.
Then what use is the parking mode option? It shouldn't drain your battery, I expected it to shut off by itself.

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Then what use is the parking mode option? It shouldn't drain your battery, I expected it to shut off by itself.
My understanding was that park mode really just saves memory. So it will only record (or store) what happens just before someone bumps your bike until after. So the unit is always on and running otherwise it would have to power itself on and start recording AFTER your bike was bumped which would, likely, be too late. The one I have on my car senses vibration and/or motion then it starts recording.

As I don't have one of these yet, maybe someone who actually has one can confirm or deny this.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My understanding was that park mode really just saves memory. So it will only record (or store) what happens just before someone bumps your bike until after. So the unit is always on and running otherwise it would have to power itself on and start recording AFTER your bike was bumped which would, likely, be too late. The one I have on my car senses vibration and/or motion then it starts recording.

As I don't have one of these yet, maybe someone who actually has one can confirm or deny this.
Well, after all of these comments (and that on the INNOVV site) even with this switch I bought, once I use it, the parking mode will be off, since there won't be any power to the unit.

Sheesh, I think INNOVV needs to rethink their power unit!

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Sheesh, I think INNOVV needs to rethink their power unit!
The NextBase unit in my car will power on if there's a significant impact detected, record for 10mins, then shutdown again.

That's sufficient for parked scenario's IMO.

I've left that confidently parked in airport car parks with my Bluetooth ODBII connected & powered for weeks with no I'll effects.

All units should work this way, in my opinion. Otherwise, they don't get trusted with a permanent power supply.

Graceful shutdown is good, it allows the end of the video to be transcoded properly to avoid corruption, continually running just in the hopes of capturing something, is madness.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Bob, do you have an ampmeter to measure the actual draw of the unit in parking mode??

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, do you have an ampmeter to measure the actual draw of the unit in parking mode??
The answer is, yes....just not sure how..like I said, electrical and I don't do well.

Is this something that would require to disconnect the hot wire, hook up the amp meter and then turn it back on/off? or something like that...

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
Is this something that would require to disconnect the hot wire, hook up the amp meter and then turn it back on/off? or something like that...
Yup.

Using a multi-meter, set to 30A or similar, disconnect the hot wire & connect to the meter. Connect the other end of the meter where the hot wire was removed from & let the camera go into parking mode.

If the meter reads 0, step the current measurement down. Going as low as 1A should give you a number.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Based on glancing the comments at the INNOVV forum I saw a draw of 40ma mentioned. It seems doubtful that it would exceed 1A when off. One poster measured 10ma. That still seems a little high at least for longer parking. Don't our clocks draw around 2ma?

My understanding was that park mode really just saves memory. So it will only record (or store) what happens just before someone bumps your bike until after.
It looks to me like there is one lead that still supplies juice for a few seconds when the bike is switched off to save the memory. Then it shuts down too. The video is written / file closed and power is no longer needed. With Parking Mode engaged the DVR probably starts recording only after a sufficient impact an not before. It would either need to be constantly recording and save a segment on impact, or have a optical motion detector to start recording before impact.

I don't know if the one comment regarding a 10ma drain was with Parking Mode engaged and the new power unit that's going out now. I'll be interested in how this shakes out.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Based on glancing the comments at the INNOVV forum I saw a draw of 40ma mentioned. It seems doubtful that it would exceed 1A when off. One poster measured 10ma. That still seems a little high at least for longer parking. Don't our clocks draw around 2ma?

It looks to me like there is one lead that still supplies juice for a few seconds when the bike is switched off to save the memory. Then it shuts down too. The video is written / file closed and power is no longer needed. With Parking Mode engaged the DVR probably starts recording only after a sufficient impact an not before. It would either need to be constantly recording and save a segment on impact, or have a optical motion detector to start recording before impact.

I don't know if the one comment regarding a 10ma drain was with Parking Mode engaged and the new power unit that's going out now. I'll be interested in how this shakes out.

Somewhere's there was mention of the GPS drawing power... I'll try to play with it this weekend and see if I can figure out where the power draw is at and how much.

I have allowed my bikes to sit for weeks without starting them in the past. I could still get them to start. After having the INNOVV K2 mounted, the battery didn't hold up for a week. There is a power draw someplace in it! :well1:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
A little update on the INNOVV K2:

I haven't set up the auto-cut-power switch yet. I have it, just haven't gotten to it...But since I've been riding the bike, the battery is not an issue right now.

I did want to say that I haven't touched the unit for a couple of months, I've just let it do it's thing. I did download a couple of 5 minute videos last night and the unit keeps on working properly, unlike the K1 which would have been screaming "Recording Stopped" over and over again....driving me nuts!

So I still say this is a great unit, so far (except for the battery drain) it's doing great!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have had my INNOVV K2 installed and running now for a few months. I am very happy with the steady footage that it obtains. I'm not sure why but the FWD camera view gives the appearance of being a right hand driving country. My biggest gripe though is the inability to see the sad looks on some of the dogs sitting in the back seat or boot of some vehicles. I passed one vehicle with a dog who was loving life by hanging half way out of the window barking at everything going by and then I passed a sad golden retriever that looked like he was on the way to see the vet.

I am happy to report though that I have not had any battery issues. I don't have multiple bikes to choose from unfortunately, like Bob. Who I hear has recently acquired another :biggrin:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I took a week long vacation and so the bike sat from Friday afternoon, 28JUN until Sunday evening, 07JUL. I wanted to get gas before my Monday morning commute and to make sure the bike didn’t need a battery charge. The old girl fired right up so I rode her around for 30min before stopping for gas.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cjames431 said:
I'm not sure why but the FWD camera view gives the appearance of being a right hand driving country.
Can you read something in the FWD camera's view and is text backwards?

Bike
2010 ST1300
Can you read something in the FWD camera's view and is text backwards?
I was able to go into the settings on the camera and un-sellect "camera mirroring" and that fixed the issue. When I initially installed the kit I don't remember if it was a default setting or if I selected it not knowing what the effect would be. Now when I view or download video it's upside down.:rolleyes:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cjames431 said:
I was able to go into the settings on the camera and un-sellect "camera mirroring"
Thought that might be the case. Sounds like all you need to do is rotate the camera 180º in the mount. Unless that turns the image inside-out. Or there's a setting for that too.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
..... Now when I view or download video it's upside down.:rolleyes:
So, when viewing, just stand on your head! :doh1:

I would go along with what ST Gui said... Mine were slightly titled, so I moved them just a little and now I think they are alright...:cool:

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thought that might be the case. Sounds like all you need to do is rotate the camera 180º in the mount. Unless that turns the image inside-out. Or there's a setting for that too.
I are am edumucated college gradute please make no funny of me

Top Bottom