Install for darkside rides

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
What was the problem with the Nomar? I plan to use mine as soon as I get a tire ordered. Sidewalls too stiff?

John
We struggled for almost an hour trying to get the second bead on the rim, we had 3 official NoMar tire irons, and one of the little yellow "knuckle" clamps to try to keep the bead from sliding around as we levered it on. It was difficult keeping the tire in the drop center of the rim, also. We had four hands working, as well as the fork-looking bar pivoting around the NoMar adjustable arm that drops down in the middle, if you know what I mean. We tried large C-clamps, as well, but it still wouldn't keep the bead in the drop center.
The sidewalls did not act like they were too stiff, as we used all kinds of mechanical leverage on it. We did NOT try the several-zip-tie routine.
It must have been like watching the proverbial monkey with the football. We really struggled, until the Mexican tire shop put the second bead on, seated it and aired it to 30lbs all in under 10 minutes.
Proper tool for the proper job, and my good friend Kerry is no stranger to changing tires on his NoMar, including (as I may have said) those nasty, contrary Harley rear tires which are horrendously stiff.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Yes, it's on the trailer isolation relay. I tuck that ugly wiring behind the right saddlebag, until I route it through the pocket under the passenger seat. May have to drill a bigger hole.
I plan to (there's THAT word again) rewire the plug, hide the wires under and inside the rear fender and enclose it all in a wiring loom, as you say.
Hey, I'm just a work in progress.
EDIT: and the turn signals were working all the way home from Jacksonville FL (9hr ride), and continued to work until I added the quartet harness for my GPS.
I ain't seen 'em since.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
We struggled for almost an hour trying to get the second bead on the rim, we had 3 official NoMar tire irons, and one of the little yellow "knuckle" clamps to try to keep the bead from sliding around as we levered it on. It was difficult keeping the tire in the drop center of the rim, also. We had four hands working, as well as the fork-looking bar pivoting around the NoMar adjustable arm that drops down in the middle, if you know what I mean. We tried large C-clamps, as well, but it still wouldn't keep the bead in the drop center.
The sidewalls did not act like they were too stiff, as we used all kinds of mechanical leverage on it. We did NOT try the several-zip-tie routine.
It must have been like watching the proverbial monkey with the football. We really struggled, until the Mexican tire shop put the second bead on, seated it and aired it to 30lbs all in under 10 minutes.
Proper tool for the proper job, and my good friend Kerry is no stranger to changing tires on his NoMar, including (as I may have said) those nasty, contrary Harley rear tires which are horrendously stiff.
I don't understand why you had so much trouble trying to mount a car tire on a motorcycle rim that was not designed to fit on it :rofl1:
While I don't buy into the Darkside mentality, I did mount one (in an emergency) for a guy traveling through, on my Moose portable dirt bike tire stand, using four eight inch motion pro tire spoons and a small C clamp, and Hunters tire paste.
If you were struggling that much with your NoMar, I question if your technique could be improved upon.
;)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Those NoMar extra hand clips look kinda cool, I may have to add one of those to my garage.
Thanks for posting this.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Those NoMar extra hand clips look kinda cool, I may have to add one of those to my garage.
Thanks for posting this.
I use 3 on the bottom, to hold the bead up into the drop center. Another one on the top, along with the yellow “Thing” would make it too easy, although Raymond mounted one at my RTE, on the floor using just 2 spoons.

John

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If you were struggling that much with your NoMar, I question if your technique could be improved upon.
;)
It's not MY NoMar, but regardless...
The answer to your question is YES.
(There's always room for improvement, it's the greatest room in the world.)

OP
OP
sirbike

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
@Sadlsor You got it on, that’s great. $10 bill was an excellent disposable tool.

After 1500 miles of freeway riding I was feeling pretty comfortable. Slow maneuvering still felt weird, especially turning right out of driveway.
Now at 2300 miles that has become easy.
One situation that requires close attention is paddling around on rough ground and getting one edge of the tire on high ground, or an unseen rock in the grass. The weight will shift towards side of the tire that is off the ground much more than with an mc tire.

After 2000 darkside miles I rode my ‘09. On one hand it felt so much better, on the other getting back on the dark bike didn’t feel bad. It’s good to have both.

I am liking that I will have 2700 miles on this set of tires and have no concern about changing them for an 8000 mile ride.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Installed, not nearly as scary or tough as I had feared.
The NoMar couldn't handle it, so I had it mounted for 10 bucks (!!) at a used tire shop.
About $130 shipped from Tirerack.

205/50R-17 VREDESTEIN HYPERTRAC ALL SEASON 2020 PRODUCTION, ORIGINAL COMP XL

20230801_072542.jpg20230801_072528.jpg20230801_072500.jpg
So, this may be a non issue, but check the rotation direction on the tire if it has one.

I see you have yours installed the opposite of @970mike. He has his squigglys on the right and lines on the left.

I was also reading a review that states although the tire is 9" wide, as it's rounded normally there's only 4" on the road. This could be why it feels more like a MC tire.
It's tread is thicker in the center and thinner to the sides. If so, as it wears in the center it should become more square-ish.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
So, this may be a non issue, but check the rotation direction on the tire if it has one.

I see you have yours installed the opposite of @970mike. He has his squigglys on the right and lines on the left.

I was also reading a review that states although the tire is 9" wide, as it's rounded normally there's only 4" on the road. This could be why it feels more like a MC tire.
It's tread is thicker in the center and thinner to the sides. If so, as it wears in the center it should become more square-ish.
I wondered whether directionality would be an issue, but saw no such aid or indicator on the sidewall. And I saw no answer to this question that I posted somewhere around here, this thread or another... so it was a "what-the-heck-just-install-it" kind of battlefield decision.
But as I think about it, if we rotate car tires on a car, they flip from side to side (left to right and vice versa) so they roll both ways, eventually.
Most of my overall riding is interstate, town to town and burger shop to burger shop, which is a large factor in my decision to go Dark. Well, that AND the effects of dragging a trailer most of the time. In fact, on the outgoing-now-cord-showing-changed-too-late Dunlop Roadsmart rear, I had been noticing the widening flat spot on the rear. (Note to self: I still need to review my journal to see when that last tire was installed.)
Egotistically, I secretly pride myself on tire wear to the outside and no discernible chicken strip. Guess it's no secret, no more. But the reality is most of my riding is commuting and working, and not a whole lot of traveling on my favorite twisty bits or vacationing. So flat spots will sadly be an obvious billboard for the world to see, as to my general riding style.
That said, I was pleased to note the deep, deep tread on the tire as compared to the pricier bike-specific rubber.
Last note here, I inflated it to 28lbs, and on the sidestand it is noticeably squished down on the left side with the bike's weight on it. Looked at it when I got 100 miles up the road last night, but as it was dark (the nighttime ambient lighting, not the tire) I didn't bother to take a picture. It wasn't "fat" looking, but definitely a bit pudgy.
Just another observation to ponder and consider as I put on more miles and watch the wear duration. It seems it wouldn't hurt to put another pound, or two in the tire and carefully pay attention to the look of it and the seat-of-the-pants feel of it.

Reactions: Obo

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

This tire has an inside and outside on the tire no directional arrows, I chose to mount mine with the outside to the right side of the bike. I don't think it will matter which direction it is mounted.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
Last note here, I inflated it to 28lbs, and on the sidestand it is noticeably squished down on the left side with the bike's weight on it. Looked at it when I got 100 miles up the road last night, but as it was dark (the nighttime ambient lighting, not the tire) I didn't bother to take a picture. It wasn't "fat" looking, but definitely a bit pudgy.
I see that lots of darksiders here like to go with 28 psi. Of course that turns into 32+ on the road. I found that pressure results in a squishy ride especially in corners. I usually put mine at 36-38 psi in the garage which is 40-42 travelling. Maybe I just like a firm ass?

Top Bottom