Is the GT version tire REALLY necessary???

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hi Dave, 6 clicks out , near factory on the the screwdriver. I was able to monitor tire pressure this trip. Cold psi varied with temperature, call it 43. What do you think a normal temperature range while riding should be?
I'm not certain the tire temperatures my external sensor TPMS displays are that accurate but I see 15-25 F greater than ambient air temperatures on hot summer days. That's on the Goldwing's rear tire. The front about half that. These vary with the motorcycle a lot. The NC barely heats up the front tire and the rear about 12-20. The RT is closer to the Wing but the rear doesn't get as hot.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
I see 15-25 F greater than ambient air temperatures on hot summer days
68 and on the ST1300 the rear got up to 93 F

When my rear brake was still dragging, it was definitely at the higher end of that range. I was unsure how hot it should get, and when the tarmac is 140 F, seeing 120 F wasn't out of range. I will be looking more often now. I had a graph available but the memory is expired:rolleyes:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Will,

There is no correlation between rear tire heat and brake drag. The brake disc and caliper assembly would have more heat when the brake drags, not the tire. Engine thrust overcomes any incidental brake drag present and the tire just applies the force necessary to move the bike forward.

6 clicks out I don’t understand. Preload is added by turning the adjuster clockwise and there are 36 clicks available. 0 clicks is fully out, 36 clicks is fully in. This assumes the mechanism works properly and begins adding preload with the first click. Maybe it’s set at 6 clicks in?

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When my rear brake was still dragging, it was definitely at the higher end of that range. I was unsure how hot it should get, and when the tarmac is 140 F, seeing 120 F wasn't out of range. I will be looking more often now. I had a graph available but the memory is expired:rolleyes:
I can’t measure tarmac temp but I can see ambient air temp and tire temperature as reported by the valve mounted sensor. If the air temp is 90 degrees then 115 on the TPMS could expected when running highway speeds.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
There is no correlation between rear tire heat and brake drag. The brake disc and caliper assembly would have more heat when the brake drags, not the tire. Engine thrust overcomes any incidental brake drag present and the tire just applies the force necessary to move the bike forward.
I tend to agree.
The more resistance there is to the motorcycle moving forward, regardless of the source of that resistance, the more engine power there is required to move the motorcycle forward. That increased power is translated in to forward motion by applying more force to get, and maintain, the rear wheel turning. In the case of a dragging rear brake, the required additional force is being applied to the mechanism that turns the rear wheel, not where the tire is in contact with the road. Because of that, I would think that increased final drive temperatures would be a far better indicator of a dragging brake than tire temperatures.

The question is, how much brake drag is required before that temperature increase can be measured with the rudimentary tools that most of us would be using to measure it? I suspect that most of us would notice a rear brake problem from other symptoms long before we would notice an increase in final drive temperature and make the connection between that and a dragging rear brake, most notably the increased temperature of the rear brake rotor due to the brakes not releasing.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
For sure, @Andrew Shadow .
The resistance to backing it out of the garage, or for that matter even pushing it a few feet, was my first heads-up / what's-up.
Then, the feel of the clutch feathering required to move from a stop, and THEN... damn!
That left rear disk is fricking HOT!!
"Houston, we have a problem..."

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Here's my gadget measuring temps about 20 minutes after a ride in 91 F. The TPMS showed 104 degrees max. My gadget is maybe 25 years old now but still works great.

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2256.jpg

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
I have had Michelin Road 6 on the rear of my ST1300 for about a year and 6000 miles. Seems to me as stable as any so far and am happy enough with it. Speeds of up to 120mph seem fine so will go with the same again in another 3k miles or so. My front is currently Road 5 GT and I will replace both with Road 6 in due course.

Dex

Bike
ST1300A
Highest pressure on the rear I have seen is 55 psi and temperature 60c whilst cruising around 120mph on a hot summers day (32c) on a German autobahn. TPMS systems turns you into one of the worried well!

STOC #
I think you need the GT version for the rear. Had a non gt version before and in the twistiest and on ramps I got sidewall flex when pushing it, which is not a pleasant feeling. First time it happened I thought I got a flat coming down 219 in PA. Really took some of the fun out of twistiest as was worried after that.

I own a Concours and a ST1300 and just going by a seat of the pants feeling that is definitely not a highly skilled expert comparison. I felt the GTs loved the Connie but not the St. Kinda felt like the tire was squirmy in the corners on the ST. Mileage wise I think my wrist gets spasms when riding which ruins my distance. One thing I did have on the Concours is I wear out the shoulders on the front a lot faster then the rear. The wear is in the normal area but I think my riding style is a little throttle heavy exiting. Got about 13,000 on the GTs with the concours and 11 to 12,000 with the non GTs on the ST. Still like the neutral steering on the michellins.

then why can I get 18 k out of a non GT bias ply tire ? Radial Tires are suppose to generate less heat. I don't think that the flex difference would cause a significant change in tire heat. Then why don't they bump up the load range on the GT or lower the Load range on the non gt . The tire may last slightly longer but certainly not 2x longer
What bias-ply tire are you using to get 18k...?? And is this on the front, or back, or both...?? Is your 18 k in km, or miles.

I find it hard to believe that anyone gets 18k km out of any tire on the st1300... I'm lucky to get more than 7500km...

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I find it hard to believe that anyone gets 18k km out of any tire on the st1300... I'm lucky to get more than 7500km...
That's always been a mystery to me too, just swapped out a completely worn BT31 GT after 5km mile and my last RP4 GT tire did a little better at 6.5k miles, never seen better from any rear GT tire in my hands on our ST1300 two up with luggage

Last edited:

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
That's always been a mystery to me too
I think there is a direct relationship between your right wrist and tire life, on my RT the rear tire seems to average around 12,000 km and the front still seems to have 50% of it’s life left.

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
I think there is a direct relationship between your right wrist and tire life, on my RT the rear tire seems to average around 12,000 km and the front still seems to have 50% of it’s life left.
No doubt, that and load, we also wear out one front tire to two rears. I do consider myself to be a smooth and consistent rider, maybe a little quicker than some but not that I think that would make such a difference, so to me it remains a mystery

Bike
R1200rt
What bias-ply tire are you using to get 18k...?? And is this on the front, or back, or both...?? Is your 18 k in km, or miles.

bridgestone h50, its a cruzer tire but so is the michelin comander 2 which a few riders here have used at got 20k on them in miles. I had them on a st1100. I ran a 130/70 18 on the front and used a 180/60 on the rear. This was a few years back when the prices were a hundred dollars less. this is a review from revzilla take it with a grain of salt. I drove them in all conditions and don't have anything bad to say about them.
"This tires are awesome, best tire I've had so far through all bike. Grip and handling That I've never seen on any other tire yet.
First time using them, hopefully they will last like the other reviews are saying 20,000 miles. Looking forward for that."

TPadden

Tom Padden
I think you need the GT version for the rear.
Silly question deserves a silly answer. That particular silly answer takes no other variables into account. Simply ditching a passenger changes everything by a LOT. The correct answer depends ONLY upon what weight oil you are using :rofl1:

Tom

Top Bottom