Is the GT version tire REALLY necessary???

On my Kawasaki Concours My front tire the shoulders wear off and the rear has a little left on it, I did run into a front tire used with some extra left on it and used it to run out the rear. I gave up testing different tires because about the time the tires are worn out, the manufacturer has upgraded.
I was a metzeler fan but changed over to michelins. The 5 and 6 GTs are awesome on the Connie, to me the old 4s felt best on the ST. I am thinking too different ends of the sport-touring class.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I agree re: Michelin 5 and 6.
Very confidence- inspiring leaning in dry or wet.
Haven't got the verdict on tire life though, because I punctured a nearly-new rear with a 4in long nail (WTH!!), and all I could find was a Pirelli of that size, needed it quick.
Still gonna repair the rear 5, and add RideOn in there.

bridgestone h50, its a cruzer tire but so is the michelin comander 2 which a few riders here have used at got 20k on them in miles. I had them on a st1100. I ran a 130/70 18 on the front and used a 180/60 on the rear. This was a few years back when the prices were a hundred dollars less. this is a review from revzilla take it with a grain of salt. I drove them in all conditions and don't have anything bad to say about them.
"This tires are awesome, best tire I've had so far through all bike. Grip and handling That I've never seen on any other tire yet.
First time using them, hopefully they will last like the other reviews are saying 20,000 miles. Looking forward for that."
Wow... That's pretty cool! There's a front tire that fits the Suzuki Boulevard that is same size as the ST1300 front. But it's not a "sport touring" tire!!! I presently am running a Bridgestone Exedra on my rear. Seems to be holding up well so far, and it rides nice. I don't corner like the moto GP guys, but I do like to corner low. I'm putting an Angel GT (Pirelli of course) on the front this week. I'll see how well they mix and match. I don't buy the "gotta have the same tire changed at the same time front and back" thought. Front tires and back tires work differently, and even with the same brand/style tire on the front and back, the front and back tires are still gonna act differently. (Unless anyone has figured out a way to make the back tire counter-steer the same way as the front tire does... lol) Anyhow, I'll report back my results. If the Exedra lasts well, I'll keep it for my back tire choice. The Pirelli Angel GT (original, not the Angel GT 2) sounds interesting to me, and might fit my riding style. So I'll try it once, twice or more if I like it. If it doesn't last well, I'll likely try the Boulevard tire.

I agree re: Michelin 5 and 6.
Very confidence- inspiring leaning in dry or wet.
Haven't got the verdict on tire life though, because I punctured a nearly-new rear with a 4in long nail (WTH!!), and all I could find was a Pirelli of that size, needed it quick.
Still gonna repair the rear 5, and add RideOn in there.
RideOn is a spray/foam/goop is it not...?? If so, it'll leave a nice mess on the rim for the subsequent tire changer...

No doubt, that and load, we also wear out one front tire to two rears. I do consider myself to be a smooth and consistent rider, maybe a little quicker than some but not that I think that would make such a difference, so to me it remains a mystery
Braking while already leaning will wear the sides of the tire a lot. Certain tires as you likely already know have multi-compound constuction - stiffer (and hence more resistant to wear) in the centres, and softer on the edges for cornering grip.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
RideOn is a spray/foam/goop is it not...?? If so, it'll leave a nice mess on the rim for the subsequent tire changer...
You may call it a "goop", but it doesn't foul the valve stem as others do. I hear Slime can be a mess.
Larry recommends it highly, and I've never used it.
It's like a thick liquid, and you can giggle it for more info, or call the WCP to ask Da Man himself.

You may call it a "goop", but it doesn't foul the valve stem as others do. I hear Slime can be a mess.
Larry recommends it highly, and I've never used it.
It's like a thick liquid, and you can giggle it for more info, or call the WCP to ask Da Man himself.
It all still falls in the realm of "goop" to me (and likely to others). If it works, use it. If it doesn't, don't. No judgement from me. I was just trying to remind you of the *possible* mess inside the rim for subsequent tire changes. These goop products are usually meant to be inserted, then driven. The centrifugal (centripedal... 2 different but similar forces and I never remember exactly the difference - the engineers will be angry if I use the wrong term) force of the spinning tire presses the goop to the tire and away from the rim, helping avoid the valve stems from getting clogged, spreading and balancing the weight of the goop along the full circle of the inside tire surface, and with luck also spreads goop around the puncture, and minimizes the goop on the rim. I don't particularly care if other people's rims get gross with goop causing a nuisance for a tire change, and I don't know enough about the different brands of goop and which are kinder and less kind to the rim. There might be some goop cans that tire-techs don't hate... But the word on the street that I have heard is techs don't like goop much. That's all... YMMV If it works, that's good! Ride safe!

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have always treated a puncture in my tire as a tire replacement asap. Wonder what puncture does to belts in tire during cornering?
I feel the same. Luckily I haven't had the pleasure of getting a motorcycle tire puncture. (Knock on wood)
I would not feel very good riding along at 60-100 mph knowing that. Getting old I think.
55 is old right? Lol

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
My tires usually pick up a sharp puncturing material within the first 300 - 500 miles, so I will repair these.
It's only happened twice on my street bikes, but both times were shortly after mounting them.
I cannot afford to replace premium street rubber every 500 miles!
And nary an incident after plugging the hole.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have always treated a puncture in my tire as a tire replacement asap. Wonder what puncture does to belts in tire during cornering?
FWIW, I've had to plug some early and run them past the wear bars with no issues on my ST1100s.
If the puncture is not in the sidewall, I don't worry about it.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have plugged tires with gummy worms on several occasions and then ran the tire to, or past, the wear bars. As long as the gummy worm seals the leak I was never concerned about it and I have never had a problem. Only once did I remove the tire and have an internal patch put on, but that was because I ran over something that put a big enough puncture in the tire that it deflated within about 60 seconds and could not be plugged. I ran that tire to the wear bars as well with no problem.

As for the glue that comes with the gummy worms, I don't think that I have ever used it. The glue always dries out long before the gummy worms and before I need it to plug a hole. I keep the gummy worms long past this point and never bother replacing the glue. If the gummy worms are still supple and sticky I have no concern about using them no matter how old they are. They eventually do dry out in the sense that they aren't sticky anymore and they get harder. That is my cue as to when to replace them. I keep my gummy worms in a Zip-Lock bag to limit their exposure to the air. They stay supple and sticky for years that way. As long as the puncture is one that is within the limits of the gummy worm's ability to seal it, I have never had problems using these old gummy worms and I have never had a problem not using the glue.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I too usually plug the tire, even with Ride-On, and it lasts, except for one occasion. One time, I plugged a tire near the end of tread, but had a RTE coming up soon that I felt the tread could easily make. About 80 miles into the ride, the tire spat out the plug. Replugged it and kept going, but the tire kept spitting them out over shorter intervals, even with double plugs, with or without glue. Finally ran out of plugs and had it towed home. Had to plug the tire to re-inflate it just to get it up on the center-stand or lift at home.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have plugged tires with gummy worms on several occasions and then ran the tire to, or past, the wear bars. As long as the gummy worm seals the leak I was never concerned about it and I have never had a problem. Only once did I remove the tire and have an internal patch put on, but that was because I ran over something that put a big enough puncture in the tire that it deflated within about 60 seconds and could not be plugged. I ran that tire to the wear bars as well with no problem.

As for the glue that comes with the gummy worms, I don't think that I have ever used it. The glue always dries out long before the gummy worms and before I need it to plug a hole. I keep the gummy worms long past this point and never bother replacing the glue. If the gummy worms are still supple and sticky I have no concern about using them no matter how old they are. They eventually do dry out in the sense that they aren't sticky anymore and they get harder. That is my cue as to when to replace them. I keep my gummy worms in a Zip-Lock bag to limit their exposure to the air. They stay supple and sticky for years that way. As long as the puncture is one that is within the limits of the gummy worm's ability to seal it, I have never had problems using these old gummy worms and I have never had a problem not using the glue.
I replace the glue annually in the spring and after opening the tube to use it. Slime sells a tube with a few patches. With three bikes I keep a kit in each bike. I think the glue aids me in inserting the gummy worm, acting as a lubricant. It's not unusual that I plug a tire every year or two and I have no problem with riding the tire until it is worn out. Of course the repair meets the criteria of size (1/4" or less) and is not out on the edge of the tire.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
I too usually plug the tire, even with Ride-On, and it lasts, except for one occasion. One time, I plugged a tire near the end of tread, but had a RTE coming up soon that I felt the tread could easily make. About 80 miles into the ride, the tire spat out the plug. Replugged it and kept going, but the tire kept spitting them out over shorter intervals, even with double plugs, with or without glue. Finally ran out of plugs and had it towed home. Had to plug the tire to re-inflate it just to get it up on the center-stand or lift at home.
BTDT! Made for a very long day trying to get home.

Ride-on is like peach pudding. Sticks to the inside of the tire. Don't see much, if any, on the wheel when remounting tires.

Top Bottom