Just bought 2006 ST1300PA! :)

[QUOTE="Nexus, The police versions need the risers so that the right switch doesn't hit the tank.
[/QUOTE]
It still hits the tank ☹

Crazy! Did you have to modify/extend the wiring/tubes?
The Helibars were already on the bike, lowered to suit the previous owner. I raised them all the way, and they reached the new height, only requiring taking off the brake hose clamp under the lower triple clamp.

However, still not high enough for me with the RDL seat (you can see how thick it is in the pic), I added riser clamps, which required re-routing all of the hoses, cables, and wires behind the upper triple clamp.

So, I don't know whether any of them have been extended or replaced, but probably so. Here's the risers:

1690312523859.png

[QUOTE="Nexus, The police versions need the risers so that the right switch doesn't hit the tank.
It still hits the tank ☹
[/QUOTE]
Your upper triple tree grommets are torn/damaged and are pulling out of the aluminum from the added leverage of the risers etc.
The only way to repair it is to replace the upper tree.
BRIDGE, FORK TOP
53300-MCS-G00
Retail Price: $217.16
Your Price: $161.24

you'll also need to remove/damage the security fasteners that hold the ignition in place and replace them with new ones.

It still hits the tank ☹
Your upper triple tree grommets are torn/damaged and are pulling out of the aluminum from the added leverage of the risers etc.
The only way to repair it is to replace the upper tree.
BRIDGE, FORK TOP
53300-MCS-G00
Retail Price: $217.16
Your Price: $161.24

you'll also need to remove/damage the security fasteners that hold the ignition in place and replace them with new ones.
[/QUOTE]
Actually, they feel tight, it's the tube on the throttle cable that touches
20230725_163033.jpg

That makes me wonder if someone replaced the longer police handlebar with a shorter civilian bar after an accident?
Or it was used for rodeo's and the squatted and lifted the bike up with the bars, which destroys the grommets.

That makes me wonder if someone replaced the longer police handlebar with a shorter civilian bar after an accident?
Or it was used for rodeo's and the squatted and lifted the bike up with the bars, which destroys the grommets.
Grommets are tight, how long should the tube part of the bars be?

That dimension looks the same as my 2009 st1300PA. You can rotate the entire assembly to somewhat lessen the tube impact on the tank.

I also note that the throttle assembly can be moved outward to eliminate the gap between the bar end and throttle. mine has about 1/4" gap.

1690326635542.jpeg

Grommets are tight, how long should the tube part of the bars be?
Not sure you understand about the grommets and what they do.
The only way you would know if they were damaged would be to remove all the bar mounts and stuff and inspect them.
The NUTS may be tight, but the bolts are a long shoulder, short thread type thing and would just tighten against the shoulder and stop etc.
It’s the long center of the shoulder that is levering the grommet out or damaging them etc.
As the other person mentioned, your plastic housing is not centered correctly on the bar and that may be causing your issue as well.
Look for the assembly set up dot on the bars for the correct position.

If this was the case, wouldn't the gap between the switches and clutch/brake reservoirs be smaller since the police versions are longer? In fact, I'm not sure the right switch/throttle would even fit. It's pretty tight on that side.

Not sure you understand about the grommets and what they do.
The only way you would know if they were damaged would be to remove all the bar mounts and stuff and inspect them.
The NUTS may be tight, but the bolts are a long shoulder, short thread type thing and would just tighten against the shoulder and stop etc.
It’s the long center of the shoulder that is levering the grommet out or damaging them etc.
As the other person mentioned, your plastic housing is not centered correctly on the bar and that may be causing your issue as well.
Look for the assembly set up dot on the bars for the correct position.
But if my grommets are worn out, wouldn't I get a lot of movement in my bars?

But if my grommets are worn out, wouldn't I get a lot of movement in my bars?
No, think of a hockey puck with a small hole drilled through it, then a metal shaft the same dia. As the hole going through it.
There is no slip or play in the movement of the bars, until you leverage the bars downward towards the tank, then visualize the outer edge of the puck tearing out of the metal cup that it was pressed into.

I may have a couple damaged upper trees in the garage that I will try and take a picture of for you.
This is a very common damage.
And one that everyone will tell you “it’s normal, they all do that” until you take it apart and show them, then they are usually surprised:rofl1:

When I made my bars extra tall, because of the added leverage they have, I added a pair of large washers to the bolts that go up into the riser clamps. They're rock solid and perfectly comfortable.

Top Bottom