Lane Splitting - "and the beat goes on" !

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I pass a number of duallies each and every day. Some will pull over, some will not. It usually doesn't take me that much more time to get around those that are near the line! So yeah, you would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience! :)
plus, there are lots of 18-wheelers on the freeways here which are bigger than an F350 dually, and we somehow seem to manage going around them as well.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Huh? I would've thought the far right lane would be number 1.
We read and write from left to right and tend to number things similarly. When counting a row of objects most of us would start counting from the left and count to the right. Numbering lanes starting with the 'fast' lane as 1 follows convention.

Going down a long highway where the number of lanes change the 'fast' lane could be #2 or #3 or #4 etc. depending where on the freeway you are. It doesn't make sense to me to have probably the one constant on most of our freeways constantly changing as the freeway widens and narrows.

I wonder how this works in countries where people drive on the left. Do their police refer to the lanes numerically? Do they start from left to right or right to left? Or do they just say driving and passing lanes. How about countries that read and write from right to left? Permutations... If only Top Gear were still on the air I could ask Clarkson although May would give a civilized response.

Riders are their worst enemy. I've witnessed the self entitled riders break mirrors, pound on the hood of vehicles , and kick the side of their cars or trucks because the vehicles are using their portion of the road and the motorcycle rider wants more room for themselves. This lack of respect for others certainly can not help Foster votes for the activity should one occur. Unfortunately the majority of the people I see splitting lanes are very unsafe, and not very curtious towards other cars drivers and riders who may be splitting at a safer slower speed within their comfort zone. I've seen riders kick at and swerve toward other motorcycle riders splitting lanes who they felt were holding them up.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
That cage drivers are afraid you are going to get ahead of them, and they are jealous.
+1 That's true of other cars as well but that's a big part of the animosity against lane splitters and we're easier targets for passive- aggressive antics. A LOT of drivers don't know that it's not illegal for us to split lanes.

Bike
ST1300 2010
What is benefit of filtering, besides the time you save to get to the front of the line? Is there a problem with the bike that you can not wait in traffic? It seems so risky.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
What is benefit of filtering, besides the time you save to get to the front of the line? Is there a problem with the bike that you can not wait in traffic? It seems so risky.
Ride a motorcycle in southern California during a summer day, while dressed ATGATT, and you'll very quickly appreciate the need to keep cool (read: keep moving), to avoid medical emergencies such as heat exhaustion, or heat stroke.

Getting stuck in stopped traffic feels like you're a trout in a frying pan.

If my commute is one hour in a car, but 20 minutes on a motorcycle, why would I willingly sit in traffic instead of getting home, and getting on with my life?

Not to start an argument, but it perplexes me how many motorcyclists (who haven't experienced filtering) are staunchly against it. I normally view motorcyclists as people who cherish freedoms, but quite a few opinions here are not only against doing it, but against legalizing it--so that no one can do it.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The problem is with the traffic not the bike. You get through an intersection in one light-evoluton instead of waiting through two or three or more light changes as a few cars at a time realize the light is green and meander through. MUCH time saved and little twist of the right grip needed.

There's little risk in filtering. The cars are stopped and the only real risk is you not paying attention and hitting someone's mirror. Far less risk compared to moving between moving cars. Some would argue even that is virtually risk-free. That would not be me.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
It seems so risky.
I bet everyone on this forum has heard that comment about riding in general from friends, co-workers, relatives, etc. What's your standard response when a non-rider says that to you? Pretty much the same as when a non-lane-splitter says it to us.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
We read and write from left to right and tend to number things similarly. When counting a row of objects most of us would start counting from the left and count to the right.
I deal a lot with aircraft carriers ... catapult #1 is the one furthest starboard ... that's furthest right while facing forward.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Actually in CA, in slow moving traffic, if a cop on a bike came up on you and you insisted that the area next to the line was yours, you would probably be pulled over and written up for obstructing traffic!
Exactly when/where did I say I would obstruct traffic? Impeding the flow of traffic is illegal here, and splitting lanes is reckless driving here. IMHO, it is reckless anywhere. If it's lawful in your state, and you feel OK doing it, that's no skin off my nose. With our country's largest USN base, NASA/Langley AFB, several Army bases, the CIA and other national organizations, the area where I live is a melting pot of folks from all over the USA. When you lane-split, do you trust the drivers on both sides of you with your life? I don't trust the guy in the next lane ...and trust him less when he encroaches on my lane.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Riders are their worst enemy. I've witnessed the self entitled riders break mirrors, pound on the hood of vehicles , and kick the side of their cars or trucks because the vehicles are using their portion of the road and the motorcycle rider wants more room for themselves. This lack of respect for others certainly can not help Foster votes for the activity should one occur. Unfortunately the majority of the people I see splitting lanes are very unsafe, and not very curtious towards other cars drivers and riders who may be splitting at a safer slower speed within their comfort zone. I've seen riders kick at and swerve toward other motorcycle riders splitting lanes who they felt were holding them up.
Interesting. I've only been splitting lanes for 30 years and I've never seen that. And in 26 years as a CHP officer, I was never called for that either. YMMV

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
There's little risk in filtering. The cars are stopped and the only real risk is you not paying attention and hitting someone's mirror. Far less risk compared to moving between moving cars. Some would argue even that is virtually risk-free. That would not be me.
No, it isn't risk-free, but neither is sitting in a lane! In the almost 45 years I've been riding, the one cage/MC accident I had (back in 2008), was from sitting in my lane when someone (without using their mirrors) decided it was an empty lane and abruptly came into me, knocking me flying! So nobody can convince me sitting in your lane isn't risk free either!

I deal a lot with aircraft carriers ... catapult #1 is the one furthest starboard ... that's furthest right while facing forward.
I would love to catapult some of these cages off the roads!

Exactly when/where did I say I would obstruct traffic? Impeding the flow of traffic is illegal here, and splitting lanes is reckless driving here. IMHO, it is reckless anywhere. .
I would say, right here:

Huh? I would've thought the far right lane would be number 1. Can't have a number 2 if you don't have a 1 ... lanes, not potty time. Regardless, the lines indicate that whatever lane I occupy, it is all mine from one side to the other whether I'm in my cage or on my bike. And yes, as a matter of taxation, I do own the road ... or at least the lane I'm currently using.
In CA, whatever part of that lane you are not using could wind up occupied by another vehicle, like a motorcycle, and you better allow him safe passage, and not try to keep him from passing you.

So, 45 years of safely lane splitting isn't proof enough for you that it is safe? I really feel sorry for you when you have to sit in traffic and either get drenched in the rain, or sitting in the hot sun, unable to move. Nah, no I'm not, since you think it's reckless anywhere, sit and suffer, because I'm not going to!

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Not getting rear ended. I've been rear ended twice now. It's safer filtering, much safer, believe me it is!

Score:

0 collisions filtering
2 collisions not filtering.

Thinking back, I've probably travelled well over 50,000 miles filtering (yes, you read that correctly) mainly in London and Paris. I did about 20,000 miles filtering in just one year (1984) working as a despatch rider in London (mileage for that year was about 30,000 in total on a CX500).

I have travelled more than 100,000 miles on motorcycles in total, all in Europe, mostly in towns and cities (about an 80/20 split city to country).

I have had 5 "incidents" on motorcycles in 33 years. 2 collisions as mentioned above (both rear-ended) and 3 "offs": 1 showing off; one on diesel in the rain; and one highside due to the spirited use of the rear brake on a wet, white line.

Filtering is safe. Staying in lane isn't.

If any nay-sayers come to Paris, you're welcome to ride pillion with me to see how safe it really is.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
that's furthest right while facing forward.
Like the opposite of port? There are exceptions. I bet if 100 people not familiar with cats or carriers were told to count them most would start counting port to starboard. Uh one anna two. Assuming they were facing the pointy end. Of course if you don't have to count very high it wouldn't make much difference.

from friends, co-workers, relatives, etc.
Those would be the ones that say "...that's why they call them murder-cycles".

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I would say, right here:
I respectfully disagree. I did state how I envision the boundaries of my right of way, and that is not saying I would attempt to obstruct. When someone invades my right of way, I make evasive maneuvers, not combative. Defensive driving means I avoid any vehicular impact. 3,000# or more of car/truck pretty much trumps my wimpy 700# of bike ... foot-pounds of kinetic energy and all that.

So, 45 years of safely lane splitting isn't proof enough for you that it is safe?
I would say you have enjoyed a charmed life while straddling your bike. I've been riding since 1973 (started on dirt bikes) and other than zero-MPH tip overs, I haven't had any motorcycle incidents ... never been pulled over by LEO. I pray we both continue riding without incident. Excuse me now ... I gotta' go knock on some wood.:D

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Difficult understanding reluctance of permitting "lane-splitting" within the Continental USA. Isn't it about time - and long overdue??

Thank you,
-Elliot
Elliot - thank you for this thread. SupreSabre - I am in line with your view

50 years riding - 45 of it freeways, for the most part now that awareness is posted on the amber signs - CA drivers are very accommodating on the commute runs; and very few take offensive acts to block. Drivers adapt to to the law. It is a choice - and as many said developed skill - and others pointed out, avoidance of rear ender in stopped traffic. I apologize for those on two wheels who are a nuisance - but I do thank the aware cagers who politely make way and waive - I try to acknowledge the effort as I go by. Lights and flashers when I am doing this avoids startling folks. For those who won't or think contrary - again it is a choice, and I respect your view. After all it's not a requirement. I do not insist on right of way when large vehicles are next to each other. Safe riding to all - let's go ride!

Interesting. I've only been splitting lanes for 30 years and I've never seen that. And in 26 years as a CHP officer, I was never called for that either. YMMV
good for you. Being a CHP officer must be a very challenging job. Not sure i could handle the stress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STill STylin

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
CA drivers are very accommodating on the commute runs; and very few take offensive acts to block. Drivers adapt to to the law.
Appreciate your perspective and comments - and same goes for many having taken time to share theirs.

Couldn't agree more with your observation of "commuters" and I'm presuming your intent was to shine the light on the typical Monday through Friday driving habits.

Something strange and a bit odd seems to evolve on any given Saturday and Sunday. Those native to Southern California have repeatedly witnessed a "sect" of cager's - who upon seeing a two wheeler splitting lanes and coming up from behind - purposely edge closer to the lane marker seemingly just to piss us off. I'd like to believe these are some of the very same "kind" cager's who "make-way" for us during the work week. Have been trying - or more accurately - failing, to piece that one together.

Has anyone else observed this ??

Thank you,
-Elliot

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
Something strange and a bit odd seems to evolve on any given Saturday and Sunday. Those native to Southern California have repeatedly witnessed a "sect" of cager's - who upon seeing a two wheeler splitting lanes and coming up from behind - purposely edge closer to the lane marker seemingly just to piss us off. I'd like to believe these are some of the very same "kind" cager's who "make-way" for us during the work week. Have been trying - or more accurately - failing, to piece that one together.

Has anyone else observed this ??
Yes...I have observed lane squeezing by two drivers, closing up the gap by a single driver, and the old open-the-door trick. Pretty cs, even where lane splitting is not legal.

Top Bottom