Lane Splitting - "and the beat goes on" !

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Do you use the modulator full time? I had one on my GL1000 and got tired of people telling me my headlight was 'shorting out'. But I'm thinking of doing something similar just for lane splitting.
No, I don't. I use it when traffic gets thick on the freeways or on surface streets at times, I'll have it on lowbeam modulation. I find that the LED are bright enough, that people actually see me...most of the time.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
So do all you guys that oppose lane splitting disbelieve the numerous reports (or are you unaware of them) that show it's no more dangerous than staying in the lanes and in some of the studies, slightly safer? Ref. Hurt report and others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting Admittedly the original report didn't directly address lane splitting by analysis of the data later showed a possible benefit and in an interview Harry Hurt indicated the data indicated it was slightly safer.

That's hard data and the results of these studies are why some states are reconsidering it. If you split reasonably (I'm not defending the crotch rocket pilots that go screaming between lanes), the sideways movement of a car is much slower than one that has failed to notice your tiny brake light and mashes you from behind. One rule is to never ride past a car that has an empty slot adjacent to them in the next lane. Hang back until you can pass between the two cars, not a car and an open space.

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You guys that think lane splitting is dangerous should try riding a bicycle in traffic! I have way more problems with cars on my bicycle vs my motorcycle. People will deliberately try to force me into the curb, throw things at me, even pull into the bike lane to keep me from passing them! Lane splitting is a piece of cake!
Funny you should say that, I refuse to ride a bicycle on the roads! If I'm going to ride, it will be some place cages aren't allowed!

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
There is one advantage in lane splitting that we ST1300 riders have, and I notice this a lot in non-splitting times too. It is that we have the same form factor as a LEO in a rear view mirror. Most of the time it is like the parting of the red sea. The bad part is that they all slow down to the speed limit when traffic is moving.

Last edited:

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
The UK is probably one of the most, if not the most, safety-conscious country in the world.

White lines herding you in the right direction all over the place. Hell, they even tell you which way to look at pedestrian crossings - it's written on the road!

If lane splitting was even a little bit dangerous, it wouldn't be allowed in the UK but, guess what? It's always been allowed!

If one of the most safety-conscious countries in the world allows it, it must be safe when practised properly.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I just don't get the pin feathers in such a whirl over it. It would not be required nor would anyone be forced to participate. Those that deem it too dangerous would be fine and those who don't would be fine. A bit like mixing bias and radial tires, or the kind of oil to use (there, I thought I'd just toss those in here to stir the pot ...)
+1 It's really that simple.

No, I don't. I use it when traffic gets thick on the freeways or on surface streets at times, I'll have it on lowbeam modulation. I find that the LED are bright enough, that people actually see me...most of the time.
Thanks. That's pretty much my plan. My 'Wing riding buddy has his high beams hooked to a wig-wag module. Flip a switch and the seas part.

Funny you should say that, I refuse to ride a bicycle on the roads!
+1 I used to ride to work years ago but it became way way too dicey.

One rule is to never ride past a car that has an empty slot adjacent to them in the next lane. Hang back until you can pass between the two cars, not a car and an open space.
That's what I do when I split but it's not often. I've seen too many cars suddenly dive for an open space because another lane is moving 1.3MPH faster. Yet others roll on at speed without an apparent care. When I hear the traffic reports about a motorcycle T/C I always wonder about the circumstances. Anyway hats off to those who split with aplomb. Long may you roll.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
The UK is probably one of the most, if not the most, safety-conscious country in the world.

White lines herding you in the right direction all over the place. Hell, they even tell you which way to look at pedestrian crossings - it's written on the road!

If lane splitting was even a little bit dangerous, it wouldn't be allowed in the UK but, guess what? It's always been allowed!

If one of the most safety-conscious countries in the world allows it, it must be safe when practised properly.
Most collisions when lane splitting are probably glancing blows...causing some damage to both vehicles and minor injuries to the rider...so long as the rider is traveling at a reasonable speed relative to traffic. I'm just supposing here. I have seen NO real data from California or the UK. But.....lane splitting incidents have to be a whole different story compared with drifting into oncoming traffic, turning left in front of traffic, or some other 'gee officer...I didn't see him' bs.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
...stay to the left of the #1 Lane and to the right of the #2 lane and you will be fine.
Huh? I would've thought the far right lane would be number 1. Can't have a number 2 if you don't have a 1 ... lanes, not potty time. Regardless, the lines indicate that whatever lane I occupy, it is all mine from one side to the other whether I'm in my cage or on my bike. And yes, as a matter of taxation, I do own the road ... or at least the lane I'm currently using.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Regardless, the lines indicate that whatever lane I occupy, it is all mine from one side to the other whether I'm in my cage or on my bike.
this may vary regionally. CA doesn't specifically prohibit two cars from being next to each other in the same lane, but the physical dimensions of automobiles limits the practical application of that idea. There's usually enough room to make a right turn on red from the right lane while another car is stopped at the light in that same lane. Would that be legal or illegal in VA?

Bike
92 ST1100
Way too much trust being put in the car drivers for my taste. Perhaps at stop lights or stop and go traffic, but that would be the only time I would do it.
Entirely unknown around here, and would surely be frowned upon and likely to trigger some road rage,
+1 for here also........besides being illegal. Here, that type of bike riding would more than likely go beyond 'road rage'. It is flat NOT tolerated here, don't matter what your riding.....period. Just some sound advice for those coming to Colo. to tour;).

Bike
92 ST1100
Huh? I would've thought the far right lane would be number 1. Can't have a number 2 if you don't have a 1 ... lanes, not potty time. Regardless, the lines indicate that whatever lane I occupy, it is all mine from one side to the other whether I'm in my cage or on my bike. And yes, as a matter of taxation, I do own the road ... or at least the lane I'm currently using.
A brave thought...........let me know how that worked out when you go down while up on two wheels:D;).

Bike
2006 ST1300A
There's usually enough room to make a right turn on red from the right lane while another car is stopped at the light in that same lane. Would that be legal or illegal in VA?
The only lane-sharing allowed in VA is by two 2-wheeled motorcycles. 3-wheelers and larger vehicles cannot share a lane and is considered reckless driving. The right turn on red scenario you described could result in a reckless driving charge. Same is true for our left turn on red which is allowed only from a one-way street onto another one-way street. Lane splitting is basically lane-sharing as your bike (being wider than the white line you're riding) occupies both lanes while you ride the dividing line beside other vehicles.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
A brave thought...........let me know how that worked out when you go down while up on two wheels:D;).
What's brave? Those lane lines define my right of way while I occupy the lane. If someone crosses the line into my area, any resulting damages become their liability. Granted, I am not going to attempt battle with any other vehicle regardless of what I'm driving/riding.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Huh? I would've thought the far right lane would be number 1. Can't have a number 2 if you don't have a 1 ... lanes, not potty time.
It would probably make more sense to count them that way, but law enforcement and roads departments count them from the inside--out. That's where the uniformity across the country comes from.

Trust me. :policeST:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Actually in CA, in slow moving traffic, if a cop on a bike came up on you and you insisted that the area next to the line was yours, you would probably be pulled over and written up for obstructing traffic! Between the #1 (left most lane) & #2 lane in CA is not where the cages drive. And if I came upon you, as I'm passing you, you would get a blast from my :toot1: If you would like, I'll post a session of my lane splitting to show you how it is done. (If I can figure out how to edit these videos!)

Last edited:
Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
My Ford F350 Dually occupies all of the lane that I am in. If the mirrors by chance clip you those two extra wheels on the rear will finish you off. Then when I pull a trailer it hangs over another six inches on each side. On narrow road you touch the line on both side with the rear tires. And that is legal width.

Byron

STOC #
A month or so ago I added LED headlights. With them on Highbeam and my modulator going, I have people "diving" to the left shoulder and the right side of the right lane, all the time. Sooner or later (couple of months?) they will realize I'm just a lane splitting motorcycle (and not a cop), but the "I didn't see them coming" isn't too much of a problem, most see me coming ten cages away! Those that use their mirrors or/and aren't on their cell phones, that is.
Bob's right! Visibility is key to lane splitting here in California. How often do you check your rear view and side mirrors when your in your car or truck? If a motorcycle is traveling faster than what the mirrors are being checked then you end up surprising the driver as you're going by and that pisses people off some times; where did that SOB come from. Using modulators on the headlights or distinctive lighting, such as triangular pattern, with extra lights catch peoples eyes and triggers a response in peoples brains because it's not recognized as a car or truck so they will usually look closer. Those wishing to be polite will usually move their vehicle over to give you a little more room to pass, those with opposite intentions will move the other direction to try and block your path. Are you watching the drivers you're about to pass? If they don't see me coming I make extra sure I have plenty of room to get out of their way if their inattention causes them to drift my direction.

Driver education on both sides is needed. Bob and I were stopped once out of state by the state highway patrol on a trip because drivers saw our modulating headlights and thought we were trying to impersonate cops and called it in. We were even warned in another state, Colorado I believe, by a driver who also saw our modulating headlights and wanted us to know that in his state only law enforcement was allowed to have "flashing" headlights. Once the fact were pointed out about modulating headlights everyone went away happy. Without knowledge people assume you're getting away with something that is wrong so education is important.

One of the problems is that law makers don't always do what should be the right thing and let personal bias rule their decisions. :(

JQL

Growing old disgracefully :)
Bike
NT700VA
Maybe every road user (including cyclists) should retake their theory and practical driving tests every 5 years to keep them current with the laws and procedures... :twisted:

:tc1:

Bike
07 ST1300
I just wish in CT it was legal to filter to the front. I sometimes do it anyway, but I know it annoys the car drivers. Annoying car drivers is not particularly safe.
But I NEVER hold anyone up or cost them time. I am out and away before they even get their foot off the brake pedal. We should get recognition for reducing congestion and using less fuel. But in CT all we get is the finger and the horn. Listen to THIS guy.
[video=youtube;KZUxOYxOMRU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUxOYxOMRU[/video]

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Ford F350 Dually occupies all of the lane that I am in. If the mirrors by chance clip you those two extra wheels on the rear will finish you off. Then when I pull a trailer it hangs over another six inches on each side. On narrow road you touch the line on both side with the rear tires. And that is legal width.
I pass a number of duallies each and every day. Some will pull over, some will not. It usually doesn't take me that much more time to get around those that are near the line! So yeah, you would be nothing more than a minor inconvenience! :)

Top Bottom