LED upgrade - clear lens & running/indicator led mod??

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
Hi all,
Hoping you are coping as well as you can in this difficult time. and we can be out of this situation as soon as - so we can get back to being the social beings we are
I have questions and lack of knowledge so am looking for some help/advice please.
I've sourced led headlamps to replace H4 halogens that are old and getting to the end of their time.
Also purchased from Ad a set of clear indicator lens - and here is where I come a little unglued.
2001 ST1100 Pan, non ABS, Euro spec is what I have.
What I want to achieve is having white running lights as well as indicators - I've seen a posting ( can't find it now grrr) where this is done. The running light(white) is cancelled out when the indicator is used
I need to replace the bulb holders in the mirrors to 3 wire type - can someone provide a link/part # for replacements that will fit the housing?
Also the led used in the fitment to suit( white running, amber indicator)
I recall something regards the indicator switch( on handlebar) having something involved in this? or is this taken care of with the led lamp?
As I'll only have 2 wires to the mirror, I'll need to run one more - and thought to get a live switched from the ignition so the running lights work as long as the ignition is on - ie the bike is being ridden?
Achievable or am I blowing smoke?? :pray1:
Thanking all those knowledgeable in advance
Regards
Alesco

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
First, we need to know whether the bike has running lights, one on each side of the front, commonly amber, that each turn off when the turn signal for that side is engaged. That capability is part of the turn signal switch on bikes that have 3-wire signals.

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
Hi there,
Thanks for the reply :thumb:
As I'd mentioned this bike is Euro spec - so does NOT have running lights - has 2 wires to the mirror for winkers only, that's why i'd mentioned having to run an additional wire switched from the ignition to be able to have the running light capability?
Cheers
Alesco

Bike
ST1100AY
I need to replace the bulb holders in the mirrors to 3 wire type - can someone provide a link/part # for replacements that will fit the housing?
This may help you : 33405-MT3-671

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 10.47.00.png

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 10.47.10.png

If you give me your model year e.g mine is ST1100A Y then I can double check for your specific bike but I doubt it is any different

EDIT, see you have a '97, I checked fiche for both ABA and non ABS and its the same part number

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
Hi there,
Cheers for the reply - :thumb:
Registered here in NZ as 2001 frame # JH2SC26A7YM401357 - if you need any other info let me know please.

Attachments

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
And yes the screen shot of bits help - somewhat - it's item 1 and I'm guessing 3P is the 3 wire jobby needed to have running lights and winkers?

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
Anything with the same type of "bayonet" fitting on ebay or ali exspress? with the 3 wires that are required?

Bike
ST1100AY
And yes the screen shot of bits help - somewhat - it's item 1 and I'm guessing 3P is the 3 wire jobby needed to have running lights and winkers?
Yes thats correct , also you will need a 3P plug to fit into this socket, they are available aftermarket (you will need to cut off the 2P plugs on your wiring harness and replace with the 3P and find a suitable switched 12v supply for the running light

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
Sooo - at this point - I ain't blowing smoke? :rolleyes:
Are the aftermarket sockets readily available ? part # / link?

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
In the thread that I can't locate - apparently there is/maybe a difference in the winker switchblock ie euro and yankee indicator switch blocks maybe slightly different?
OR is/does the LED running light get overidden when the winker is operated? and when the winker is cancelled the running light comes back on?
Damn - I wish I could find that post - it was on this site about 2017???

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
They were using what they term a "switch back LED' has 2 colours - amber and white, fits right in a 3P holder.
Advantage American spec ST1100 has is you already have 3 wires to the mirror ie you have running lights AND the winker.

OP
OP
Alesco

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
To be clear - Euro spec bikes generally ONLY have the winker
Hope that makes it clear as to what I'd like to achieve - running lights(for extra visibility) and the winker :thumb:

Bike
ST1100AY
Sooo - at this point - I ain't blowing smoke? :rolleyes:
Are the aftermarket sockets readily available ? part # / link?
I don't know about the sockets , I suspect they may be a custom Honda part but other forum members will be able to let you know

As regards the plug, this place is my 'go-to' shop CycleTerminal, the guy who runs it (Joe) knows just about everythng there is about motorbike electrical connectors !

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I just looked in my Honda manual. It only has US-spec wiring diagrams. You need to see whether Honda fitted the same switch to all ST1100s.

Your switch needs to have brown/white, orange/white, and lt. blue/white wires, even if they presently don't connect to anything in the main harness.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I mentioned the turn signal switch because:

What will turn off the white LEDs when the amber LEDs flash?
Larry

These bikes are not wired like the newer vehicles that turn off the running light to operate the turn signal. The 3-wire circuit operates like cars used to - low power (usually 5W) running light that stays on and is overpowered by a higher wattage (usually 21W) turn signal element. The switch would be the same. All of the electronics to cause the bright white running light to extinguish when the amber turn signal comes on is contained within the switchback bulb. If @Alesco can come up with 3-wire sockets and can power the running light circuit continuously through a switched source, he has everything he needs to run switchback bulbs.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
To be clear - Euro spec bikes generally ONLY have the winker
Hope that makes it clear as to what I'd like to achieve - running lights(for extra visibility) and the winker
There should be a couple of threads with UK members faced with the same situation and have made the conversion. I think one did mention something about MOT approving or not.

But you pretty much have the concept sorted. I didn't see it mentioned and may have missed it - an LED compatible relay is needed to maintain the standard blink rate when LED bulbs are used. Here's an example. Otherwise the LED blinkers flash (or hyper-flash) at a much faster rate. That may be a concern for your MOT-equivalent or appropriate governing body.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
These bikes are not wired like the newer vehicles that turn off the running light to operate the turn signal. The 3-wire circuit operates like cars used to - low power (usually 5W) running light that stays on and is overpowered by a higher wattage (usually 21W) turn signal element. The switch would be the same.
That's how cars work, but every Honda bike I've ever owned has extinguished the running light for greater flashing contrast.

And every ST1100 wiring diagram I've seen reflects the same. The 2-wire non-US bikes have no running lights to extinguish.

All of the electronics to cause the bright white running light to extinguish when the amber turn signal comes on is contained within the switchback bulb.
Now, that I did not know! If this is accurate, then you're correct that he will not need a US-spec turn signal switch. :thumb:

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
That's how cars work, but every Honda bike I've ever owned has extinguished the running light for greater flashing contrast.
And that is something that I did not know, but checking, you are clearly correct.

BTW, I checked the operation of one of my switchback bulbs and they do operate as I described, I guess because they are built for the automotive market. If the running light circuit (the white light) remains powered, then when the amber circuit is powered, the white circuit is extinguished by controls inside the bulb. There is an on-delay after the amber circuit is powered (of just greater than the flash rate) before the white circuit is re-energized. I tested a switchback bulb on my bench with the running light circuit un-powered during turn signal operation to emulate the Honda circuit and it works fine. The switchback doesn't care whether the running light circuit is on or off during flashing. For the Honda circuit, you wouldn't need the switchback function - a straight two color bulb with bright white and bright amber would work. Now, I guess, to find one of those. Switchbacks are ubiquitous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom