LED upgrade - clear lens & running/indicator led mod??

Bike
ST1100AY
The running light(white) is cancelled out when the indicator is used

I went searching and found this information from the original supplier of switchback bulbs

This confirms what @T_C & @ST Gui mentioned earlier but the info in italics is interesting

There are two styles of switchback bulbs:

1. AO - Amber - Off

2. AW - Amber - White
AO - Amber - Off

The Amber -Off (AO) Switchback bulb has special circuitry inside that senses when there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit.

Whenever there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit, the bulb switches off power to the (white) running light circuit for 2 seconds.

The result is that in most vehicles, the switch back bulb will flash amber-off-amber off whenever the turn signal is activated, even when there is power to the (white) running light circuit.

The bulb will switchback to white if the headlights are switched on and the turn signal circuit is switched off for 2 seconds.​

The bulb will switchback to off if the headlights are switched off and the turn signal circuit is switched off for 2 seconds.
AW - Amber - White

The Amber -White (AW) Switchback bulb has special circuitry inside that senses when there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit.

Whenever there is voltage on the (amber) turn signal circuit, the bulb switches to amber mode.

The result is that in most vehicles, the switch back bulb will flash amber-white-amber-white, whenever the turn signal is activated and the headlights are on.

In some vehicles, the power to the (white) running light circuit is automatically switched off whenever the turn signal is activated. In these cases, the AW switchback will flash amber-off-amber off whenever the turn signal is activated.

In most vehicles, the AW switchback will flash amber-off-amber off whenever the turn signal is activated and the headlights/running lights are off..

:twist1:

Last edited:
Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Which all confirms that AO (type 1) and AW (type 2) bulbs will perform in an identical manner on vehicles where "...the power to the (white) running light circuit is automatically switched off whenever the turn signal is activated". One such vehicle is the US-spec ST1100.

Bike
ST1100AY
Which all confirms that AO (type 1) and AW (type 2) bulbs will perform in an identical manner on vehicles where "...the power to the (white) running light circuit is automatically switched off whenever the turn signal is activated". One such vehicle is the US-spec ST1100.
Out of interest, on the US spec ST-1100, is it BOTH running lights that are turned off when indicator is activated or just the running light on same side as indicator ?

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Are you thinking it should be a 1157 for the USA spec bikes ?

The 1156 is the correct base for the European (non-running light) version
Probably wondering how you get two filament functionality out of an 1156. The answer being that the running light connection is separate from the 1156.

Bike
ST1100AY
I have just been researching the US spec running lights (as fitted by Honda) and was wondering if you could help with some queries:

1) The HSM says these are 32/3cp bulbs (the non-US equivalent is the single filament 21W), I'm confused what the 32/3cp terminology means
2) The HSM also shows these 32/3cp bulbs being interchangeable with the tail/brake light , am I correct that they are indeed the same white bulbs and its just the lens colour that is different

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I have just been researching the US spec running lights (as fitted by Honda) and was wondering if you could help with some queries:

1) The HSM says these are 32/3cp bulbs (the non-US equivalent is the single filament 21W), I'm confused what the 32/3cp terminology means
2) The HSM also shows these 32/3cp bulbs being interchangeable with the tail/brake light , am I correct that they are indeed the same white bulbs and its just the lens colour that is different
1) The cp rating is candlepower. The 1156 is 32cp. The 1157 is 32/3cp.

2) The lens makes the difference with an incandescent bulb. If you are replacing them with LED's you would not want to use white LED's in both places. You would use amber LED's in the front and red in the rear. An issue with using red in the rear is that you get a red license plate illumination which may be a problem. The issue with using a white LED is that the white is not really white, and the red lens nullifies (filters) some of the illumination making it less bright.

EDITED TO ADD...

I added a generic white LED license plate light and used a red LED for tail and brake.

KIMG0069.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom