Long hot trip coming any advise?

Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Well this Thursday I am living beautiful cool southern California on a trip to Montana. This will take me thru some of the hottest deserts around. Sure to be triple digit temps from 100 to 110. Baker, Las Vegas, Mesquite, Utah. I am riding with a small group . Some of the things I am doing are;

1. Drinking plenty of water before hand (no coffee).
2. Will always have water available while riding.
3. Contemplating wearing either draggin jeans and a cool long sleeve shirt or maybe airglide pants and jacket.
4. I have a cool vest that I will use when it gets hot.
5. Will be wearing sport wicking underwear.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Gary
:04biker:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
One trick I found very handy, was to stop at a gas station, buy (at least) a half gallon of cold water and a bag of ice. Dump the ice and water and cooling vest all into a plastic bag and let it sit while you enjoy a cold drink. (15 to 20 minutes is usually plenty long) Take out the vest, put it on, put you mesh jacket over it and ride!

I've done 115 for an hour and a half without any issues. :hat1:

One other thing, I rode with chaps on for that ride and my legs did fine. I used mesh once (temps upto 113) and the legs were quite toasty! I think you need something that can block the heat for your legs. :eek::

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Vest in ice water is a great idea except for the intial shock of putting it on!!:D

Yeah I was wondering if the mesh pants would just allow too much heat on my legs. and mesh and jeans would be too much!

Gary

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
Make sure drink while riding very important to stay water logged.
A camel bag in the tank bag or wear it.
If i only drink at stops I'll get sick if I stop every half hour I'll never get where I'm going.
Chew gum. it helps the long flat desert road go by faster.....or maybe that's all in your right hand?????

Bannanas and tomatoes are good for a variety of reasons.

A couple of my friends swear by electrolyte tablets.

I guess each of us has different requirements.

Water, water, water.

A couple of years ago I rode from Frisco, CO to St. Louis in a day with temps across KS hovering around 105. Stopped 8 times and drank a bottle of water each time. Didn't pee once. Not good. Drank plenty of water that night.

Soaked the legs of my jeans with water at each stop.

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Make sure drink while riding very important to stay water logged.
A camel bag in the tank bag or wear it.
If i only drink at stops I'll get sick if I stop every half hour I'll never get where I'm going.
Chew gum. it helps the long flat desert road go by faster.....or maybe that's all in your right hand?????
I do not have a camel bag but I do have a cup caddy on my bars.

I can carry one bottled water on my cup caddy. I will drink that while riding and if I know this group they will stop every 100 or so miles then I will drink another and reload my caddy. I hope this is enough.

Gary

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
Should be fine just make sure to keep drinking.
Couple o' weeks ago i road out to Zion for a weekend trip when coming back I didn't drink much. Left a 4am and by the time I hit Tonopah when I stopped at the sign I almost fell over and started feeling sick to my stomach.........coffee and Red Bull for breakfast is not the way to go huh? Drank a gallon of water and ate some food felt 100% but delayed me about 2 hours. It could have been much worse......Normally I'm pretty good about staying water logged but not that day....
You should be fine with your plan just make sure keep it up. And out of the saddle every 100 miles puts at 24 oz of water every hour and fifteen.....or hour depending on the group should be plenty:poPoST1::poPoST1:

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
For that ride, leaving SoCal, I would leave at about 3AM for the cruise across the desert. There's not a heck of a lot to see beween here and Vegas anyway, and you'll be past there plenty early. It's a pretty straight road too, so not really hazardous in the dark. Way better than the blazing mid-day sun.

I think you've got the hydration end of things covered. Have a great trip. :D

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
For that ride, leaving SoCal, I would leave at about 3AM for the cruise across the desert. . :D
There are two groups leaving , one at 6 am and another at 12:00 noon.

Still thinking about which one I want to do. Early but with sun in my eyes or afternoon with the high heat.

Gary

go out and buy the hydration bag w/ some kinda insulation sleeve. imho anyone who is putting on the miles in warm to hot areas, needs a half days supply at the ready!( mine goes in the tank bag with the hose cliped on the outside, and i drink on the fly) buying as you go will only slow down the group. and you'll end up drinking less that what's needed. hot temps and speed, suck the life outa ya rather fast! the only defence i've found is what seems to be over drinking.

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
Camelbak is the way to go. Having a couple of liters of water right there to sip whenever you want is a lot better than downing a bottle at every stop.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Rode across AZ last week .. 108 degrees; Utah today and tomorrow .. so far "only" 103. I'll PM you with what I've done.

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #
I've spent a lot of time in hot weather riding, locally and crossing the southwest. The most consistently hot place for me has been I-10 and 15 out of the Hotel to Phx and Vegas. My last trip on I-10 was 115 across the Mojave to Phx.

I suggest doing the bulk of your miles before lunch, and then slowing the pace afterwards stoping whenever you feel like it.

I wear my full ensemble of stich, full face helmet and textile gloves. The ST is a hot bike, the ambient temp is not the only problem but the radiant heat off the roadway can be quite oppressive.

My question is why do so much desert riding to Montana? Are ya gonna ride east before going north, or you gonna ride the Valley north into Oregon? If it were me I'd ride the east side on the valley goin north, and ride the coast coming back south, but thats only if I was worried about hot. :tc1:

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
My question is why do so much desert riding to Montana?
:tc1:
The route picked was;

1. Southern cal to stateline nevada, overnight.
2. 376 miles to Salina Ut overnite
3. 423 miles to Jackson Wyoming overnite
4. 190 miles to cooke city mt overnite.
5. 116 miles to billings montana. overnite
6. Short day trip to south dakota , next day around billings , yellowstone ect.
7. Come back thru oregon washington and down the coast of calif.

I was not in on the planning I am mainly along for the ride.

Gary

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Camelbak is the way to go. Having a couple of liters of water right there to sip whenever you want is a lot better than downing a bottle at every stop.
I have a cooler on the bike and there is a caddy within reach to sip on while riding. I should be ok on the water idea although a camel back would be a little easier.

Gary

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
Rode across AZ last week .. 108 degrees; Utah today and tomorrow .. so far "only" 103. I'll PM you with what I've done.

Any ideas are apreciated. I have been in some high heat riding here in Calif although mostly short 100 mile runs before going up to the mountains or onto the coast.

Gary

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I run in 100+ temps all the time in the summer. Just finished a trip where it was 113 for over 4 hrs. High 90's before that. I use mesh pants with LD underwear. Mesh jacket with cooling vest. I have a waterproof bag that I keep the vest in wet when not in use. When I use it, just pull it out and save the extra water. When it is dry, put it back in the bag and soak. I also keep a 1L bottle of water just for the vest.

I have a camel back bag in my tank bag. Very easy to get to for a drink. I put in ice and water at the start of the ride and it will stay cold for about 8 hrs. A bottle of water in a cup holder will get hot real quick in 100+ temps.

That is what works for me. Like others have said, KEEP DRINKING WATER!!

Bike
2005 ST1300
We're leaving on Friday for Montana from SoCal. What a coincidence. But taking many back roads up, around, and over instead. Have a safe ride!

Top Bottom