Long hot trip coming any advise?

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
Your stopping every hour and drinking 10 to 20 ounces will work fine. It doesn't matter if you stop or drink it slowly over that two hour period. We agree there. The idea that you must pee every two hours is just wrong.

The only true measure of adequate hydration is the urge to urinate. Thats what I said and thats what works in the field. You can't practically wait 10 hours to see if someone will urinate.
If it's dehydration you're worried about, you just have to give the guy water. End of worry. If it's heat stroke or heat exhaustion, urination has nothing to do with it.

If you say that they told you that in the army, I have no doubt that they did tell you that. If so, I'll bet it wasn't the only bogus info they told you.

I'm not trying to convince you. Your mind is set and you've found something that works. I'm just trying to get the facts out there for everyone else reading this thread and looking for real info.

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
To all ;

Well I am packed and ready to go. Early morning I am on the road. All good advise from everyone, thank you.

I have plenty of water, some gatorade, powerbars ect ready to go. Good hat, mesh gear, riding buddies, everything a good desert rider should have.

Cool Vest is in a zip bag ready to soak in the morning. 114 degrees here I come ready or not.

I have internet access on the road so from time to time I will let you know how all your good advice pans out.

Gary
:04biker:

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
.... By that standard, you're not sufficiently nourished unless you eat till you have to take a dump.
Yet, our bodies don't excrete poop through our pores in effort to keep us cool.

It seems to me that if a person normally feels the urge to urinate within X hours of consuming X amount of fluid, but after riding in hot temperature, does not feel the urge or can't, then maybe something is amis? :shrug2:

I see what you are saying, specifically that the lack of the urge to urinate is not necessarily an indicator of dehydration. However, wouldn't it be true that the urge to urinate is an indicator of adequate hydration.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
To all ;

Well I am packed and ready to go. Early morning I am on the road. All good advise from everyone, thank you.

I have plenty of water, some gatorade, powerbars ect ready to go. Good hat, mesh gear, riding buddies, everything a good desert rider should have.

Cool Vest is in a zip bag ready to soak in the morning. 114 degrees here I come ready or not.

I have internet access on the road so from time to time I will let you know how all your good advice pans out.

Gary
Good luck! Actually I don't think luck has anything to do with it .. just be smart about your fluid intake and your limits and you will be fine.

I don't recall if you are taking a water bladder with you. If so, and you mix fluids in the bladder make sure to wash it out every night so it doesn't get nasty!

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
Yet, our bodies don't excrete poop through our pores in effort to keep us cool.
I wasn't talking about drinking to sweat. I was talking about drinking to pee.

It seems to me that if a person normally feels the urge to urinate within X hours of consuming X amount of fluid, but after riding in hot temperature, does not feel the urge or can't, then maybe something is amis? :shrug2:
If you feel like something's amiss, then drink more water. It's simple. But don't think that you have to drink till you get the urge to urinate. If you're not thirsty, you're not dehydrated.

I see what you are saying, specifically that the lack of the urge to urinate is not necessarily an indicator of dehydration. However, wouldn't it be true that the urge to urinate is an indicator of adequate hydration.
No, not at all. Your kidneys will continue to make urine even in very late stages of dehydration.

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
To all ;

Gary
Have a big time! Be sure to keep the sticky side down, okay?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Your stopping every hour and drinking 10 to 20 ounces will work fine. It doesn't matter if you stop or drink it slowly over that two hour period. We agree there. The idea that you must pee every two hours is just wrong.

If it's dehydration you're worried about, you just have to give the guy water. End of worry. If it's heat stroke or heat exhaustion, urination has nothing to do with it.

If you say that they told you that in the army, I have no doubt that they did tell you that. If so, I'll bet it wasn't the only bogus info they told you.

I'm not trying to convince you. Your mind is set and you've found something that works. I'm just trying to get the facts out there for everyone else reading this thread and looking for real info.
Ripshod, I just noticed you're from Knoxville! I lived there in 1979, and found it to be the friendliest town I can remember. Too bad I was transferred to Omaha, I never made it back there ( and a lady named Marie J. would probably have shot me if I did). If you are ever in Olympia, WA, I will treat you to one of the best methods of hydration in Washington: Fish Tale Ale, a great microbrew from our hometown. Cheers!

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
It so happens that I'll be riding through your state, if not your town, next month. We'll be riding through North Cascades then getting over to Olympic NP to camp, then riding the 101 down to Coos Bay and over to Crater Lake. Can't wait! Never been to that part of the world before. I have heard that they know how to brew up there.

Yeah, we're a pretty friendly bunch around here. Knoxvegas has changed a lot since then.

Bike
'07 ST1300
the ride I just did was in 100+ heat index

I added a hydration bladder to my tank bag, melted a hole in the front of it for the tube....put ice in the hydration bladder, that was nice on the road

also a small soft packable ice chest, loaded it with ice from the house first day, then from the hotel the next, threw some bottles of green tea in there- Lipton citrus green tea was great on the road, a little pickmeup caffeine, plus hydration......

take some aspirin 2-3 for discomfort and improved circulation.....(aspirin thins your blood a bit)

Bike
2003 ST1300
It so happens that I'll be riding through your state, if not your town, next month. We'll be riding through North Cascades then getting over to Olympic NP to camp, then riding the 101 down to Coos Bay and over to Crater Lake. Can't wait! Never been to that part of the world before. I have heard that they know how to brew up there.

Yeah, we're a pretty friendly bunch around here. Knoxvegas has changed a lot since then.
We do know how to brew beer, and of course, coffee. The roads you're travelling are beautiful and can be quite deserted even during the best summer months. When on the Olympic Pennisula, watch out for deer and logging trucks. If you need any information about the area, I'm familiar with it; Olympia is one of the "gateways" to the Olympic NP. If you stay a night in the Olympia area, you are invited for a BBQ dinner and Fish Tale's finest. Just PM me a few days in advance. Taking a Washington ferryon the Puget Sound is fun, and the views are great. Motorcycles have loading preference. Taking a ferry north of Seattle, from Edmonds to Kingston will avoid alot!!! of creeping traffic and will fastrack you to the Olympic NF. Check out all the ferry runs as it opens up possibilities.

I just returned from a 1,000 mile trip in NE Washington--Okanogan NF and the Colville reservation, or God's Country as the locals know it--, returning via Hiway 20 and the North Cascade Hiway. I can reccommend many secondary roads to and from. Also, alot of NW riders have similar advice, so use us if you need routing ideas. Have fun!

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
Thanks, I plan to hang out in the Northwestern forum for advice when I get to the final planning stage. And I really like ferries.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
One trick I found very handy, was to stop at a gas station, buy (at least) a half gallon of cold water and a bag of ice. Dump the ice and water and cooling vest all into a plastic bag and let it sit while you enjoy a cold drink. (15 to 20 minutes is usually plenty long) Take out the vest, put it on, put you mesh jacket over it and ride!

I've done 115 for an hour and a half without any issues. :hat1:

One other thing, I rode with chaps on for that ride and my legs did fine. I used mesh once (temps upto 113) and the legs were quite toasty! I think you need something that can block the heat for your legs. :eek::
I use leather chaps all the time. They do work alot better than mesh in keeping the heat off. Another unforseen with chaps is they keep your pants from riding up your crotch. Make for a much more comfortable ride.

Another item for the upper body is the tight nylon short sleeves. Or loose if you prefer. You can pour a little water around the collar and it will wisk through the shirt.

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
'
Well made the first part of the trip with ease. I was really suprised how well the cool vest worked. I had it under my airglide jacket and was very comfortable. I kept it in a zip lock back until Barstow then put it in thru baker 110 degrees on up to stateline where we stopped at Bufallo bills.

Tomorrow on the way to cedar city. We will start a 5 in the morning to help beat the 116 degree heat. The only problem

I had was the heat on the top of my legs. I think a little water to help cool them down is in order.

I drank plenty of water in fact so much I had to pull over for a wizzer break. ;)

Gary

Top Bottom