Long hot trip coming any advise?

I just went to CheapSTOC and made a saddle sore trip home. Temps were 100+ most of the way.

This is what worked for me: YMMV
1. Get as much riding in early in the day as you can. I left at first light.
2. CamelBak. I sucked down 2 liters between gas stops while underway. At the gas stop drink vitamin water.
3. Cool vest was a life saver.
4. If you need a break take it. Better to get there late then never.
5. LD Comfort shorts is all I had on under my riding pants. When I got home I was able to squeeze about a cup and a half of water out of them but I was bone dry.

I do not have a camel bag but I do have a cup caddy on my bars.

I can carry one bottled water on my cup caddy. I will drink that while riding and if I know this group they will stop every 100 or so miles then I will drink another and reload my caddy. I hope this is enough.

Gary
:04biker:

Keep in mind CamelBak is a brand name as such you are going to spend at least $30 for a cheap one. You can pick up something that works just as good from Wally World for less then 20 bucks Clicky

Well worth the money if you ask me to have plenty of H2O.

OP
OP
roadriderg
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I just went to CheapSTOC and made a saddle sore trip home. Temps were 100+ most of the way.

3. Cool vest was a life saver.
When it starts getting hot i always wear a coolvest under my vented jacket. Always works. I introduced Ann to a coolvest on the last hot ride. At first she did not want to wear it because she thought she would get sweaty. But after wearing it for awhile she would not take it off. Life saver is a key for the coolvest on a really hot dry day.

Gary
:04biker:

ST4Sal

Gone Riding!!!
Bike
02 ST1100
STOC #
I'd recommend against the mesh in extremely hot weather as the sweat evaporates to quickly. I recommend getting your shirt doused with water , wearing your textile jacket with your sleeves on the jacket open as wide as you can get. then closing all the rest of the vents and letting a evaporative cooling do it's thing. When the shirt dries just re-wet it. It worked for me in a couple of extremely hot situations 100+ i believe. Here's a note of caution though. the firat application of water is usually with cold water. the second, if carryingthe water like in a jug, is as hot as the temperature outside. I made the mistake of pouring 100+ warm/hot water all over me expecting it somehow to still be cool. (Never said I was the smartest one in this group :)

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I just started to wear cool max by starter and it really helps. i wear it under my summer riding pants and i tell you it really make a difference....Ill be heading to Tx from Nj later this summer and i will be wearing this along with a hydration unit....

Top Bottom