M77 Replaces Moly 60- Apparently So

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
This thread makes me thankful I ordered a couple extra tubes of Honda Moly 60 when I heard that Honda was dropping it.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Road trip anyone to Leadville Colorado?

http://www.climaxmolybdenum.com/operations/climax.htm

I was hired to work underground in this mine in 1978 when I was trying to move to Co. I didn't show up the morning I was supposed to start. I didn't want to spend 60-70 hours a week underground. They were working employees 6 or 7 days a week back then....

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I think some are overthinking it...... do you really need that much Moly on your splines, surely prior moly applications are firmly embedded in pores of the splines by now. 30% should do you.... anyway, you can order moly powder and mix with your favourite NGLI grease at any percentage you wish... was that by volume or weight?

Bike
2010 ST1300
So I call my local Honda auto dealer and ask if they have the M77 { Igive him the part #}. He says yes and i ride over. I go to the counter and ask for it , he goes in the back, comes out and says sorry we dont have it. I get a little aggravated and ask him to look again. Comes back with a tube of MOLLY 60! says he never saw it before. Is this my lucky day? Only tube he had.
I assume you picked up that M60 recently. I've been fond of saying that somewhere, there is a warehouse with bins full of the specific discontinued widget you are looking for, and they will make their way to one of those close-out stores after you no longer need it.

A short story to illustrate the point. I was at a nearby steam traction engine show a couple of years ago this spring helping a Guzzi buddy with his working display of a radial engine from a Bamboo Bomber and a jet engine that powered an APU he thought had been used on the USS Enterprise. After hearing him tell the same story about both engines to people visiting his display a few times, I began to repeat it as well. By and by, I struck up a conversation with a guy (spectator) who told me that two years prior he had gone to an auction in Lisbon, Ohio. The family owned business was being liquidated and he was awed by the size of the machines being sold and later scrapped. He told me he came across a skid of bearings still in their original boxes (marked 'Packard'), wrapped in brown oiled paper and covered in the same grease as when they left the factory. They were, he said a main ball bearing for the P51 Mustang's Packard engine.

Frank, my friend, had bought the parts for his radial engine on ebay. He told me he picked up a skid of some new, some used cylinders for it as well as an inertial starter. Somewhere there is a restorer of old War Bids who would give his eye teeth for those bearings, but he was not at that auction, and, I was told, they were junked. (Maybe.)

It is not unreasonable to believe that there are 159 brand new old stock unopened tubes of left over Molly 60 in some warehouse.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
They both show the same product number. Google pics for that number and there are many different designs of container that have the number. I have seen one spec sheet that contains the 8012 and the 51048 reference.

My guess is yes.
So I go on Amazon Friday and order the exact container below........

:cool:
Today the truck shows up and now I have the order in hand.... .open it up and its........

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: lol!

I'm definitely mentally done!!

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Common with internet pictures of stuff for sale :rofl1:
That's why it states formerly known as....on the site, its the same stuff.
You done good :thumb:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I think some are overthinking it......
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1: that's impossible, we're only at post 293, much more analysis is needed. I'm skeptical that Loctite 51048 is exactly the same as LB 8012, who has done a chemical analysis?

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
So I go on Amazon Friday and order the exact container below........

:cool:
Today the truck shows up and now I have the order in a hand.... .open it up and its........

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

I'm definiamataltily done!!

Hold on there Kemosabe! How can a product that claims to contain Molybdenum be "metal free"?? It IS a metal element. From Google:

Molybdenum is a silvery-white metal that is ductile and highly resistant to corrosion. It has one of the highest melting points of all pure elements — only the elements tantalum and tungsten have higher melting points. Molybdenum is also a micronutrient essential for life.

Looks like we can eat it too!

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I've been adding moly powder to grease since I was a little boy with a John Deere pedal tractor. Really. Roll your own. If you stock up it will only dry out.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Hold on there Kemosabe! How can a product that claims to contain Molybdenum be "metal free"?? It IS a metal element. From Google:

Molybdenum is a silvery-white metal that is ductile and highly resistant to corrosion. It has one of the highest melting points of all pure elements — only the elements tantalum and tungsten have higher melting points. Molybdenum is also a micronutrient essential for life.

Looks like we can eat it too!
@dwalby already beat you to that misunderstanding. Compounds and elements are different. Sodium metal will explode in water. Chlorine gas is poisionous and will kill you. Combine them into table salt and put it on your food.

Elemental molybdenum is not molybdenum disulfide. Molybdenum disulfide is not a metal.

Chemistry class is over.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Side note - A few years ago, I posted up here somewhere that I had tried some tungsten disulphide grease..... tungsten being able to handle higher heat than moly, and does the same as moly. I bought a couple of tubes (I believe 25-45% tungsten disulphide) and used it on my commercial duty lawn mower deck bearings, basically because I couldn't find moly grease any more than 3%. Those bearings are surely coated..... I am using moly 3% grease in that application now, and it's no big deal to change out one of those bearings if need be... cheaper than the tungsten disulphide grease. I think the bearing numbers are the same as in ST and Yamaha wheel bearings!

If you want some of this hi-tech stuff......... my source.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
@dwalby already beat you to that misunderstanding. Compounds and elements are different. Sodium metal will explode in water. Chlorine gas is poisionous and will kill you. Combine them into table salt and put it on your food.

Elemental molybdenum is not molybdenum disulfide. Molybdenum disulfide is not a metal.

Chemistry class is over.
I hate it when old guys can actually remember their Grade 11 chemistry class!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I bought a couple of tubes (I believe 25-45% tungsten disulphide) and used it on my commercial duty lawn mower deck bearings, basically because I couldn't find moly grease any more than 3%. Those bearings are surely coated..... I am using moly 3% grease in that application now, and it's no big deal to change out one of those bearings if need be... cheaper than the tungsten disulphide grease.
IIRC, Honda's M60 ran around $12 /2oz tube (memory is hazy, I'm probably wrong), Amazon's price for Locktite Moly is $28+/8 oz, and this tungsten disulphide grease is $45/14 oz. Since we have not tested the WSO2, nobody knows if it is the equivalent of Moly paste (different than a grease) but pricewise, it is not out of line.

Top Bottom