M77 Replaces Moly 60- Apparently So

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
I agree with the statement that we shouldn't always take what the salespeople say to the bank. But in the case where I spoke with the honds dealership shop clerk , he's the one who gets the mechanics all the parts, grease etc for them when they need/ask for it , you would think that if the mechanics didn't think much of the new Moly 77 replacement , they would have mentioned it. I'll try to ask one of the mechanics what they think if I ever get the chance , but if there a chance that this crap doesn't work, and Larry has said just that many times, I'll take his advice and use loctite.

When I owned a KLR 650 and the Kawasaki forums were talking "loudly" about the faulty engine destroying cam chain tensioner, the dealership knew nothing about it when I asked about it. When I disassembled the engine to access the tensioner, sure enough it was broken, not adjusting anymore and the broken piece was no where to be found. The forum told me I would find it on the other side of the engine in the clutch basket. Guess what , they were right!

I'm thankful there is a huge amount of information on here for us all to take advantage of.

Take care.....
Why wouldn't the mechanic's or parts clerks like the stuff, after all it will bring in more service work to repair stuff :rofl1:

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
When I owned a KLR 650 and the Kawasaki forums were talking "loudly" about the faulty engine destroying cam chain tensioner, the dealership knew nothing about it when I asked about it. When I disassembled the engine to access the tensioner, sure enough it was broken, not adjusting anymore and the broken piece was no where to be found. The forum told me I would find it on the other side of the engine in the clutch basket. Guess what , they were right!
this is pretty much par for the course. There's a rare exception here and there, but for the most part this matches my experiences. Although I gave up many years ago after it became pointless to even ask.

Worth a read, Upt'North.

AS60 Molyslip 16001 500g Tub Anti-Scuffing Paste

Stock Code: AS60

£35.00 Each
Quantity:
AS60

MOLYSLIP AS60 Anti-Scuff Paste is a gelled lubricating oil, containing 60% molybdenum disulphide, forming a soft paste. It also contains rust and corrosion inhibitors.PERFORMANCE AND USAGE:The load carrying capacity of MoS2 is in excess of 140,000 psi, above the yield point of most metals, and cold forming of metal under the MoS2 film can take place without "welding" or pick -up occurring. Thus, by applying AS60, wear or damage can be prevented, when a hydrodynamic oil film is not present as in new engine start up.EXTRA INFORMATION:

• Ensures bedding in without scuffing or scoring.
  • Reduces wear and cuts costs.
  • Protects against rust and corrosion.
  • Withstands heavy loads.

Honda Moly60 this is a great replacement this product is searched for a lot for Honda Motorcycles

Anti-scuff, bedding-in paste, gelled lubricating oil with a high proportion of MoS2. AS60 (similar to GN paste) contains 60% of MoS2 Use for Airgun seal (sparingly) and Cylinder, Hammer rail & Bushes (when Burnished in) & Spring Guide lubrication.
Building up engines and Machines that require protection from Galling and scuffing on initial dry start-up then long life thereafter.
Also can be Burnished in on parts that cannot be greased due to dust contamination .

As well as pre treatment of shafts gears and pinions in gear boxes and drive trains prior to final assembly Good substitute for Honda 60 grease for use in final shaft drives and such in many motorcycles .
Also very good for boat's in both salt and fresh water greasing tillers, propellers , anchor chains etc.
Any applications that require a barrier between metal moving parts e.g. Telehandlers, Crane Booms , Diggers And Lorry 5th Wheels and such like. Email or larger quantity's .
That is a good read. and I'm sold to it. but I'm struggling to find it in UK. Would you be able to share the link? Cheers

Bike
VStrom 650
That is a good read. and I'm sold to it. but I'm struggling to find it in UK. Would you be able to share the link? Cheers
Duda, it's still on the Moly slip Web site, I haven't used it myself, I'm in the Loctite camp, for now.
If you want to try a little Loctite 51048 then PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Upt'North.

Anyone in Canada could spare 1/2 of Rocol Dry Moly? I'd like to try it before ordering a tube.

Regards.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Anyone in Canada could spare 1/2 of Rocol Dry Moly? I'd like to try it before ordering a tube.

Regards.
For us Canadians looking for Moly grease, I sourced a container of Loctite 8012 at Grainger Canada. There was a bunch of confusion as Loctite 51048 was in their system, but what was on the shelf was 8012. I got it in Calgary.

2B442D9A-8479-4E4A-9E4F-F357422AD221.png

Bike
83' GL1100 Aspencade
Hi All.. I've just read though the entire 17 pages of this thread. WOW.

Now I know a lot of people have submitted a lot of good information. Here are the results of my research.. My application is for a GL1100 which will be running a ST1100 wheel, with a GL1500 pumpkin. I assume I should use the 40% Moly as stated in all the respective service manuals. ST1100 & GL1500 service manuals symbols page.

ST1100 Moly Paste.png

To really throw a wrench into the discussion, the GL1100 service manual only states on page 11-14:

GL1100 Moly Paste.png

As I understand it one of the best replacements is Loctite 51048 Moly Paste. Doing my research I came across two SDS's for the same product. Loctite 51048 - Moly Paste has 60-80% Moly, and Loctite LB 8012 - Moly Paste has 10-30% Moly. As I can not seem to find the 50148, and when some previous members ordered it online they got LB 8012. Please see the SDS's below.

I decided to go with Jet-Lube MP-50 as it is available through a local vender. See the SDS below.. It's supposed to have 43-58% moly.

I also contacted BellRay to get the SDS on BelRay Waterproof-Grease. It does not have ANY Moly in it. See the SDS below.. I can not see how people have had great success with this if the moly is required.

To throw another wrench into the pot.. While doing my research, one thread I came across supplied the SDS for the Honda Moly 60. See below.. It says it was supplied by Three Bond.. This SDS only shows it as having 15-20% moly.. :shrug2: Take this as you may..

For us Canadians looking for Moly grease, I sourced a container of Loctite 8012 at Grainger Canada. There was a bunch of confusion as Loctite 51048 was in their system, but what was on the shelf was 8012. I got it in Calgary.

2B442D9A-8479-4E4A-9E4F-F357422AD221.png

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
As I understand it one of the best replacements is Loctite 51048 Moly Paste. Doing my research I came across two SDS's for the same product. Loctite 51048 - Moly Paste has 60-80% Moly, and Loctite LB 8012 - Moly Paste has 10-30% Moly.
The one SDS you have attached is the LB 8012 paste that comes in the plastic can with the brush. It has the 60-80% moly. The other SDS is for the LB 8012 in an aerosol spray which requires propellants and is thinner and therefore smaller % of moly. Use the paste not the spray.

Bike
83' GL1100 Aspencade
Ok.. That makes more sense then Loctite changing the formula. I missed the detail the one SDS was for the aerosol can. Around my area (Guelph, Ontario) the Loctite LB 8012 is not cheap at almost $70 for 8oz can vs $32 for the Jet-Lube MP-50. But, I am going to stay with the product that has a proven track record.

The one SDS you have attached is the LB 8012 paste that comes in the plastic can with the brush. It has the 60-80% moly. The other SDS is for the LB 8012 in an aerosol spray which requires propellants and is thinner and therefore smaller % of moly. Use the paste not the spray.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Loctite 51048 and Loctite LB 8012 are the same thing.

Around my area (Guelph, Ontario) the Loctite LB 8012 is not cheap at almost $70 for 8oz can . . .

Bike
83' GL1100 Aspencade
Thanks for that, but they do not ship to Canada.. I am still searching for a local (Canadian) supplier. As shipping, duties and exchange erode almost any savings from ordering it from the US, so ordering it local usually ends up about the same price, or very close to it.

https://www.grainger.ca/en/product/PASTE-MOLY-LB-8012-8-OZ/p/LCT51048

Loctite 51048 and Loctite LB 8012 are the same thing.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Ok.. That makes more sense then Loctite changing the formula. I missed the detail the one SDS was for the aerosol can. Around my area (Guelph, Ontario) the Loctite LB 8012 is not cheap at almost $70 for 8oz can vs $32 for the Jet-Lube MP-50. But, I am going to stay with the product that has a proven track record.
You are not that far from the border. Take a trip down to Buffalo and pick up some 8012 and visit for a while. Phone ahead to be sure your selected vendor has it in stock. McMaster - Carr has it listed at $43.73 for 8 oz and they tend to be expensive. Best price I saw was amazon for $38. Even were you to pay $40 US, that's still almost $20 less than your $70CA

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Rocol is a company that has branches in Canada. They produce Dry Moly Paste - which is one of the products named in the ST1300 manual. (Except at the time it was called Rocol ASP).

Rocol tell me that it is 50% MoS2 and has NGLI of 3 - but I have compared it smear by smear with the Honda Moly 60 and cannot tell the difference. Honda Spec requires 40% MoS2. Go to Rocol.com and find a contact email, see if they can tell you where you can buy it from.

This screen shot is from an email request that I made in Sep 2016

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1651592689529.png

Bike
83' GL1100 Aspencade
Thank you everyone for the recommendations.. As I'm looking at it. If I was planning a day trip to Niagara Falls, I would consider it. But its more then $20 in gas for me to get there. And the wife is not planning another shopping trip down until at least the fall.. And really, this jar should last me more then a couple changes on my GL and my buddies ST1100. So I'm sure we will get our value out of it. Even if it is more expensive then south of the boarder. I'll just add it to my list of things to pick up on future visits.

I'm just glad there is viable product that is available that does not leave us wondering. I've checked all the service manuals for both GL's and ST's from the early 80's up to 2012 and they all call for it, so it's not something we can go without.

You are not that far from the border. Take a trip down to Buffalo and pick up some 8012 and visit for a while. Phone ahead to be sure your selected vendor has it in stock. McMaster - Carr has it listed at $43.73 for 8 oz and they tend to be expensive. Best price I saw was amazon for $38. Even were you to pay $40 US, that's still almost $20 less than your $70CA

Bike
2007 ST1300
Best price I saw was amazon for $38. Even were you to pay $40 US,
OMG that stuff has gone wayyyyyy up... I just looked on my order history at Amazon and I payed $7.26 for LB-8012 8 oz. in August of 2016.
Its now $42.47 o_O
Just checked and I have used maybe 2 oz. over the last 7 years. ( 4 new rear tire changes ) I use about 1/2 oz. per change
Talk about inflation---
Guess I need to be more conservative on the use

Last edited:
Bike
83' GL1100 Aspencade
Well look at it this way.. Your new price works out to about $5.31 per oz. So with using 2oz over 4 tire changes, at the new pricing its costing you +- $2.66 USD per tire change to make sure the splines do not degrade. Even at my higher price, it works out to +- $4.88 CAN per tire change. Cheap insurance really. Even if you remove the wheel and re lube as a yearly maintenance schedule because you don't go through a tire a year, that's still cheap insurance considering the cost to replace the pumpkin or wheel spline.

OMG that stuff has gone wayyyyyy up... I just looked on my order history at Amazon and I payed $7.26 for LB-8012 8 oz. in August of 2016.
Its now $42.47 o_O
Just checked and I have used maybe 2 oz. over the last 7 years. ( 4 new rear tire changes ) I use about 1/2 oz. per change
Talk about inflation---
Guess I need to be more conservative on the use

Top Bottom