Man, I'm getting Old...

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Will be 60 in May- not worried about it at all! I also made an effort to dump 40# and exercise 4x weekly now, plus 4 mile walk on those days. I don’t think I have ever been healthier than I am right now (and part time 2 days per week helps)- you can’t stop the clock but you can put a little more effort into not allowing the clock as much control.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
I'm 2 months I'll be 60, when I was a few months from 50 I decided to get into better shape and lost 40 lbs.

A few months ago I decided as I approach 60 I'd try to be in the best shape of my life. Lost 8 lbs and about 8 more to go. I'm hitting the Stationary Bike for 60 to 90 mins a day 6 days a week. I don't smoke and rarely drink and my food intake is healthy and i try to burn more than i eat most of the time. My knees and feet have stopped hurting and I feel really good.

Moral, you are in control with most things in your life.
I'm with you, Joe. Running / Walking 3 miles a day in the mornings. Lost all of 18 # a couple of years back, eating healthy, always on the move, "trying to" keep my brain going. Just got done cutting down an oak 3.5 feet on the stump. Bucked, split, stacked. Done. No issues,,,me or the power saw. (Run an insert in the winter time).

Don't really feel anything holding me back from riding,,,,,yet. But as UP said, just wait,,,,altough I dont have as much titanium installed as he does. But I still broke my very first bone during the 2023 riding season. Nevertheless, I'm ready for the 2024 season.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I might add that my replacement parts were installed because I wore the original equipment - not from lack of use! :biggrin:
I still walk 3 miles a day in addition to lifting weights, scrunches, etc. - about 1 1/2-2 hours a day workout 5 days a week - been doing it for years.
My multiple broken ribs have slowed me down for a while but I'm still riding and hope to cross the 1/2 million mile mark on just ST1100s this year.
As you age, your endurance tends to lessen and your recovery from stuff tends to lengthen.
The thing we have to keep in mind is we are all dying - just some at different rates than others.
As Hank Williams sung - 'I'll never get out of this world alive'. ;)

Bike
R1200rt
Like I told the doctor when he looked at my MRI and said that's bad multiple times pointing to multiple places " Had I known I would live this long, I would of taken better care of myself" Mickey Mantel

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
As I have read thru this thread I seem to be the oldest. Will be 75 this year. My riding has slowed a bit and I don't ride too long of distances much any more. A 175 to a 200 mile day ride is about my average lately when I do get a chance to Go Ride. Because of the wife's health issues I stay close to home and have not done a multiday trip recently. I normally don't feel my age but when I shuffle my four bikes around in the garage, they remind me of the facts of life of getting older. (I probably should sell a couple of the bikes this year) I have noticed a couple of times that I missed seeing something that I should have. I also notice that I ride and drive a bit slower than I used to do even 5 years ago. Yes, Life is catching up and age is a great equalizer. So I have taken some steps to still enjoy the Colorado High Country in a bit more comfort and less chance of falling down this coming year.

Attachments

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Nice Jeep Chuck

Hopefully We are all before the point to quote George Burns on the Tonight Show " Whats Stiff is getting soft and Soft is getting Stiff"
I have to remember this for the next time someone asks me how I'm doing.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
As I approach my 68th solar revolution (it won't be televised), my ills have been few, at least comparatively speaking.
Broke a collarbone falling off my Blackbird at 46yo, first and last broken bone; 5 years ago had an abdominal aorta bypass; 2 years ago they removed my cancerous prostate because I didn't want to deal with radiation and chemo.
At my advancing age, I feel every bit as good as I did last week.
Today I can still lift a dropped ST1300, or believe I can... haven't dropped mine in 3 years, and I can still lift a dropped 1250 GSA.
I know this because I picked mine up repeatedly for 3 days in November at RawHyde. Next time I'm in the dirt with it, I'll have the chance to prove it again.
Growing old ain't for pu... um, "wussies."

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
At 70 I am out of warranty, had major repairs done last year. The repairs have done the job. Bought a new to me bike in August 2023, started riding more dirt roads. The wife and I are planning a 6000 mile 35 day ride starting in June 2024. Two bikes a 50/50 mix of motel and camping. Going to places we have not been. Doing something we have never done.

We all grow old. We cannot stop aging but I am not going to let my age dictate what I do. We are already thinking about where to ride in 2025.

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Didn't they give you a warranty on the repairs?
I usually get one when they replace some of my parts ... ;)

Funny you ask. I did ask the orthopedic surgeon about a warranty and the look I got was priceless. And then No. Now I didn't ask if the parts had a warranty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom