Man, I'm getting Old...

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
No I haven't! How does it handle the extra weight?
It's a little bit obvious at very low speeds, while braking or accelerating, but like the bike itself, the weight disappears at speed. The second time I pulled it, I put some weight in it and took it up to the BRP to get used to it. It rides like silk at up to 90 mph on the interstate pulling it.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Since retiring last August I ride most pretty days (45F and up). Now that I don't have to be somewhere at any particular time I just cruise the backroads out here sometimes at 50mph or 60 mph. I relish the time in the saddle but don't have to ride with my hair on fire. I am beginning to learn how all these 50 mile per gallon rides happen.
I am now the old guy out riding that you have to pass, but can still do 7/800 miles if needed. Much rather do 3/500 off the slab if possible. I want to go back to Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia. Just pick a road. They're all great out there when you are from Amarillo.

Since retiring last August I ride most pretty days (45F and up). Now that I don't have to be somewhere at any particular time I just cruise the backroads out here sometimes at 50mph or 60 mph. I relish the time in the saddle but don't have to ride with my hair on fire. I am beginning to learn how all these 50 mile per gallon rides happen.
I am now the old guy out riding that you have to pass, but can still do 7/800 miles if needed. Much rather do 3/500 off the slab if possible. I want to go back to Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia. Just pick a road. They're all great out there when you are from Amarillo.
Good on ya. I live in Pampa, so very similar. For the same miles as VA I can be in Montana riding the Rockies after only 300 miles. I've ridden the East TN/ NC/ VA/ N.GA area for years. I still prefer the Rockies most of the time.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I turned 73 last December and it feels like it. I’m faced with the conundrum of needing more excerise to help my joints, but can’t walk very far due to pain in my joints. I have to do some serious stretches before I can even throw a leg over a bike.

i’ve had a strange, somewhat macabre, realization that I’ve done some activities for the last time. Backpacking and deer hunting are off my list of things to do, along with carpentry projects or cutting firewood. Probably won’t be playing keyboard on stage anymore, either. I think now, I’ll get into the teaching profession. There seems to be a lack of Curmudgeon instructors, nowadays. I’m getting pretty good at it and may as well share my wisdom.

I’m not going to give up riding. I may not ride as far, but I’ll keep the bikes for shorter rides and sunny days.

John

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Good on ya. I live in Pampa, so very similar. For the same miles as VA I can be in Montana riding the Rockies after only 300 miles. I've ridden the East TN/ NC/ VA/ N.GA area for years. I still prefer the Rockies most of the time.
That road from the little red school house to Miami is a fun road. Actual curves present.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
A lot of older guys get trikes. Talked to someone yesterday about them perhaps getting one. They quit riding last year because they dropped their goldwing and couldn’t pick it up. So they felt it was time to quit. Now they are thinking about a trike. Another buddy has a trike also. Sometimes I think about a lighter bike, small dual sport, 650 ish. Bike carrier on the back of the truck or the van sort of thing. If I live long enough I will probably do that in the years to come. Along the lines of truck camping, dual sport riding Utah etc.

Last edited:

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Sounds like some of y'all just need to get a horse .
No one's ever dropped a horse while riding.
So ya never have to pick up a horse. If he goes down, he gets back up all by himself.
Never needs an oil change, either.
Wet thought about getting two horses since we have the property to both keep and ride them. This was years ago. However, we thought better of it. Takes up a lot of time, and,,,,,both of us getting older,,,,,,

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
You‘ve never owned a horse have you?

I’d rather a Goldwing fall on my leg, than a Walking horse. Although, the horse got up by itself. BTDT. When Dad found out, I didn’t sit on anything for a couple of days.

John

Bike
2000 ST1100
Just reading the posts and coming to the realization that in another 20 years our membership might be few as we are all in our golden years. New young blood is needed to keep us open. Maybe time to do an age poll:old1:

Sounds like some of y'all just need to get a horse .
So ya never have to pick up a horse. If he goes down, he gets back up all by himself.
Never needs an oil change, either.
But you don't have to feed a bike if it's not carrying you somewhere, and the exhaust is less work also.

Top Bottom