Michelin Pilot Road 4

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I got word yesterday that my one and only Uncle that was still living, passed away on Sunday. So last night I decided I was going to ride the 2010 up there to Ogden Utah. I changed the oil and a little other prep work when I discovered that the tire has 9,000 miles on it. So I decided to check out the tread only to discover that the wear bars are too close, there was no way for me to feel good about running 1,500 miles on it. So I grabbed the 2012 and did some prep work on it to take it north.

Then this morning my wife decides that she wants to go...so I'll be caging it instead of riding! :(

But, it looks like I'll be putting some new tires on both bikes in a couple of weeks!
Sorry to hear about your Uncle.....and your tire......and your non-ride...:(

ToddC

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your Uncle.....and your tire......and your non-ride...:(

ToddC
Thanks Todd! Yeah, my Uncle was 82, and lived with Parkinson's Disease for many years. He was really a trooper and remained as active as possible.

As for the tire, I was surprised to find the center so gone, compared to the edges, but I ride freeway 97% of my commute, so I can't expect much more.

The non-ride, bummer for sure. Changed the trip from a $250 trip to a $1,000 trip! But got to keep the wife happy! My checkbook happiness doesn't count! :(

Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
Put mine on a couple weeks ago. Have almost 700 miles on them. Leaving the Tech Event in Wisconsin Saturday we got some rain and 46 F. Awesome. Bought them at Revzilla.com. OK price, had local dealer mount them on the wheels I took off myself. Do not start with the front, which I did. I had to take the front fender off. Had to clean it and wax it.

Ph8

Bike
2004 ST1300abs
It was a one day sale at Riverside Honda in St. Albert.

I removed the the wheels myself, and Recycle out in Stony Plain swapped the rubber for me at the same price as Riverside, but one day service, not three to four.

Followed the guides I found here, bought a small torque wrench to match my big one. Molly, axel grease, 17mm and 8mm Allen keys, 27mm socket and now I'm full tooled up to do this again.

Recycle did a perfect balance btw. My test ride included a wobble hunt. None found. She is a nimble beast again!

Thanks to everyone who posts here. This site is a wealth of knowledge. I'll update again after 1000kms.

Rob

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #

I removed the the wheels myself, and Recycle out in Stony Plain swapped the rubber for me at the same price as Riverside, but one day service, not three to four.

Followed the guides I found here, bought a small torque wrench to match my big one. Molly, axel grease, 17mm and 8mm Allen keys, 27mm socket and now I'm full tooled up to do this again.

Recycle did a perfect balance btw. My test ride included a wobble hunt. None found. She is a nimble beast again!

Thanks to everyone who posts here. This site is a wealth of knowledge. I'll update again after 1000kms.

Rob
Thanks Rob. The last tire a put on was from Canada's Motorcycle, a front PR4 GT last summer. Paid CAD$ 193 delivered.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #

Rob
I've found it's a saw-off between Petes Superbike and Canadas Motorcycle for on-line pricing. I'd support my local dealers, but their pricing is really out of line on tires.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I heard a local dealer was offering to match online prices. When I called them up and told them Pete's/Canada's Motorcycle Michelin prices they declined to match them, although they did admit they all get their tires from the same wholesaler. As I don't need them for installation and balancing they have no leverage to get me to pay more for the same tires.

Bike
2005 ST1300
There was a significant mileage improvement for each generation of Pilot Roads. And I don't think they made the correct size till the Pilot Road 3.
I am now at 10K on my latest set of tires (Pilot Road 4) and they still look fresh.
What PSI do you use on the rear PR4?
Ya get what ya pay for. There's a reason why the cops use them here in WA. Suppose to be the best. The only tire I run.

ToddC

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
Just changed out my 1st set of GT4's. 11,600 miles, 80% mountain roads.

First time I have ever worn front & rear at approximately the same rate.

Best handling & wearing tire I have ever used.

IMG_5265.jpgIMG_5266.jpg

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just changed out my 1st set of GT4's. 11,600 miles, 80% mountain roads.

First time I have ever worn front & rear at approximately the same rate.

Best handling & wearing tire I have ever used.
I just replaced my first set (on the 2010). Compared to yours, mine still have plenty of tread on them!

I'll see if I can take a picture of them and post it.

The main reason I changed them out is that I'm doing a 1,200 mile ride this next weekend and I'll be spending some time on wet surfaces and felt better with new tires! I got about 9,500 miles out of them.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I just replaced my first set (on the 2010). Compared to yours, mine still have plenty of tread on them!

I'll see if I can take a picture of them and post it.

The main reason I changed them out is that I'm doing a 1,200 mile ride this next weekend and I'll be spending some time on wet surfaces and felt better with new tires! I got about 9,500 miles out of them.
Where ya goin' Bob??

ToddC

Bike
2006 ST1300
Just installed the Pilot 4 tires front and rear. So far I am pleased with the results. Hard to compare with worn out tires, but I like them so far.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Where ya goin' Bob??

ToddC
Pine Grove/Pioneer California! In the Old Gold Country (East of Stockton/Sacramento)! This is an annual trip for me, since 2000, although, there were a few years that it didn't happen. This will be the first year since about 2002, that I won't be trailering the bike up. Since it is supposed to have off/on rain, there's no reason Chris will be going (she's not about to ride in the rain) and I didn't reserve our room at the Pioneer Lodge (where she would be just as happy to sit there and relax) earlier enough, so I had to get a room at the CampGround (maybe Motel 6 level - where Chris probably couldn't relax too well in) where we all meet up at, so I'll ride up solo.

A few previous rides (A link to the pictures are at the bottom of the reports):

Bike
2010 ST1300
My front has 18k and the rear has 10k. I still have tread left till the wear bars on the front. 42psi front and back.

Top Bottom