Micro-Airstream

Bike
2003 ST1300
Now you can visit British Columbia and not get eaten by bears! Be sure to stop in Olympia, Washington on your way to Canada!

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Really lookin good now Tom. Maybe if we camp a little closer to you coming back into Munich, we can see the trailer in person?

Byron

STOC #
If you haven't weighted it yet, what do you think the finished weight is going to be?

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
That is very nice design & workmanship. What are you using for rivets??? I have a friend that restores Airstream trailers as a business. Amazing the craftsmanship in those things--especially for the time.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
I am in total awe! I would love to have the skills to do that kind of work. Do you own a tubing bender? How do you form the upper skin corners? French roll? I have been visiting the Airstream website on a regular basis. All the reviews point out how far superior the Airstream is to any other travel trailer. The YouTube videos of Airstream construction is really something. You can transport your Great Dane in style now! :D

Will your next project be "fitting a turbo to an ST1100?" :bow1:

All the reviews point out how far superior the Airstream is to any other travel trailer. The YouTube videos of Airstream construction is really something.
Years ago we had a 31' Airstream that we used for vacation travels with the kids. The second year, I noticed some corroding and pitting in the lower curb side body panels. I took it to Airstream's Ohio repair center. The manager had a worker attempt to clean it up and asked if it was satisfactory. I said "no" and he turned to the mechanic and said "Replace the side of the trailer". No arguing; they just did it. And, yes, it was a marvelously well balanced trailer to tow.

OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
Thanks all for your positive comments which drive me forward.

To answer some questions:
Weight should meet 135 kg empty.
Pulling it was very easy and without any wobble. I tested it up to 100 kmh (60mph).
Rivets are 4 mm closed end rivets I shot with a pneumatic rivet gun.
The tubes are bended by hand over a wooden pattern.
The corners are cut from a stainless garden decoration ball of 2 ft diameter.
Next project will be driving 14 days 7000 km through spain in May with the trailer :)

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
In a word... AWESOME! Congrats on a job well done! Now.. We do need alot more pictures:)

Interior? Door? Undercarriage? Lighting?

Please?

OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
In a word... AWESOME! Congrats on a job well done! Now.. We do need alot more pictures:)
Interior? Door? Undercarriage? Lighting?
Please?
Here in the motocampers forum or here in the teardrop & tiny trailer forum you can find my complete building blogs including all the 150 pictures !

Tom

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
O-M-G that is really cool! I probably will never pull a trailer but I'd consider it with a trailer that nice. Now to get out the Brasso or Mother's Mag Polish and electric buffer. VERY nice trailer.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Tom, I followed your link to the other site. I'm about a third of the way through the posts. There are some great people there! That thread is fascinating. I think just about all the superlatives to describe what your doing and your skills in doing it are used up already.

I thoroughly enjoy reading the details of your progress. It's amazing. The only thing you haven't done is use TARDIS tech to make the trailer bigger on the inside than on the outside. But there is the slide-out option.

I hope I can finish that thread before you finish your trailer!

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I keep coming back to this thread to look at this trailer, just because it's so cool to see the creativity and craftsmanship that went into it. Incredible.

Top Bottom