Micro-Airstream

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Spoiler Alert....
LOL, the butler did it!

I feel like I am reading a book with all the detail being given. I'm up to Chapter 12 where our hero gets the T?V (?) tag. I'll finish in the next couple of days. Incredible is right.

OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
LOL, the butler did it!

I feel like I am reading a book with all the detail being given. I'm up to Chapter 12 where our hero gets the T?V (?) tag. I'll finish in the next couple of days. Incredible is right.
T?V is the acronym for Technischer ?berwachungs Verein (technical supervising organisation).

They have to give their approval to get a title for any vehicle in Germany and any vehicle with more than 50 cc must be inspected every second year by them to get the T?V tag.

Driving without it is illegal !

Have fun reading my building blog - I really love your encouraging comments :)

Tom

Last edited:
OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
Big update !

Disassembled today the whole box, deburred all new holes in sheets and frame and degreased all with acetone.

Then began from the stern to shoot all the sheets with rivets to the frame.

And eight hours later I finished with the front sheet !

Tadah !!!

Attachments

Byron

STOC #
With sikaflex 221 polyurethane glue - sticky stuff (on my fingers!)
Looks like a good product and should help keep you and your contents dry and protected from the elements once you have it finished.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Kudos on the crafting skills :yes: (reminds me on the vintage 'Airstream RVs', classy...)

I only wonder how you'll get that thing through your T?V...
And how you're gonna handle it under live conditions... like today, where we've wind gusts up to 100~120kph (AKA small craft warning :wink: )

OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
T?V hab i scho :) Die Schlafkiste ist nur Gep?ck !

In english: I've got my title yet from the T?V for the basic trailer - the sleeping box is only a box, like a boat or something else.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I've got my title yet from the T?V for the basic trailer...
Yeah, for the basic trailer with flat-bed... but now the thing has different overall dimensions, a changed nett weight, a certainly shifted CG thus completely different driving behaviour... so I'm not really sure that you could 'sell' that as being your 'payload' to the authorities or any LEO down the road ;-)

And I'm generally amazed to see that the normally oh so bureaucratic, over-regulated, over-protective German DMV would even consider licensing an US made trailer-hitch without metallurgical certificates up to DLR standards from the MFG down to the last bolt and washer its attached with... :D
When I recall the 'issues' and fuss they'd made back then over the bar raiser plate for the ST1300... OMG!!! :roll:
Or over connecting the second LOW beam on an 1100... and installing any other tyre then the OEM, uooohhh!!!...

OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
The hitch is dutch !
And you must only find the right T?V engineer !
Mine tests and approves sidecars for Peter Stern and has seen very special conversions.
Tom

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
And you must only find the right T?V engineer !
Probably depending on branch and/or state you're at.
If its Dutch made the EC regs now force them to accept it.
Unfortunately does this now also mean they have to make the entry for items being forged and carved in some Rumanian barn... ;-)

OP
OP
PanEuropean

PanEuropean

Micro Airstream Builder
Bike
2001 GL 1800
STOC #
The T?V here in Deggendorf said: A motorbike hitch without permit from Honda - NEVER !
30 km away in Straubing is Peter Stern Sidecar Service located directly beneath the T?V.
Every sidecar conversion is a single piece and I asked the T?V, who is the engineer and they gave me the name.
He is a verrrrry relaxed guy and explained to me, what I had to do - and I did it.
He explained me too, what I have to do, to get a title for my homebuilt trailer and that was no problem again.
Got my unique serial number and after inspection of the trailer, my inspection and now I own a trailer with 190 kg possible weight, matching the possible tow weight of the ST1100.

And if the payload can be removed without releasing nuts and bolts, only with quick release units, it is a payload, like a lawn mower or a boat.

It's like a sleeping unit on a pick up truck.

Attachments

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Looks beautiful! Great craftsmanship! My big concern with towing that would be crosswinds. The height is presenting quite a bit of sail area. The ST itself can get shoved sideways a good bit with sudden crosswinds.

Just something to be mindful of...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...now I own a trailer with 190 kg possible weight, matching the possible tow weight of the ST1100.
Well, them authorities always first try 'blaimstorming' and redirect the responsibility to the vehicle MFG.
You obviously got the core by purchasing the undercarriage (axle, wheels & draw-bar) made by a certified/acknowledged company, so you're only 'responsible' for the structure on top, which, from the POV of the T?V, is not 'the issue' in matters of the Road Traffic Act and vehicle safety...
And if 'removable payload' is consistent with the laws (or loopholes ;-)), why not?
That 'mini Airstream' will surely be an eye-catcher at every gathering (...the Dutch will drool all over it :D)

I'd also consider some thermal/noise insulation, preventing dew and sleep deprivation.
Electric (brake, corner, tail, turn-signal, illu for license plate) seems straightforward, any plans of having an on-board/aux power source to run interior lighting, a/c, microwave, coffee-maker, electric blanket, etc...? ;-)

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I confess to two jealousies; 1) your craftsmanship is terrific, and 2) I?d love to visit Gibraltar again. I have family there and have not been back since 1970. I?m also a bit surprised you used relatively few Clecos when doing a test ride with several flat panels in place.

Top Bottom