Mixing Oils.

Never been to France, but have met some old timers that landed at Normandy, they all said they were treated very well by the French people

Bike
R1200rt
I notice that many people try to shift in to neautral once the motorcycle has come to a full stop. Every motorcycle that I have ever ridden has been more difficult to shift in to neutral when it is stationary. Not necessarily every time, but they all have to some degree, just depends on where the gears end up when it stops.

Shifting in to neutral when the motorcycle is still in motion is usually much easier. Even if the motorcycle is just barely moving. that is enough to make shifting in to neutral easy.
agree. I haven't had my st for over a year now but as I recall just letting the clutch out a bit and it would go right into neutral. It doesn't have syncro's so the gears have to mesh just right.

OP
OP
Mr.E

Mr.E

Steve
Bike
Boss Hoss & ST1300
I've done all the gear shift linkages and clutch fluid etc. etc. so will try out the oil mix as mentioned, continuously selects neutral fine when running cold but not when running hot. The quest for perfection continues.

Going off script here but we're probably done with the OIL subject now, went to Normandy, Bagnoles de l'Orne with the UK Pan Clan, and also found out how to pick up a fallen Pan!
Love all things French, roads, people, scenery...

Screenshot (190).png DSCN0176.JPG 354995256_10229358832025038_3245482087779640935_n.jpg

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I've done all the gear shift linkages and clutch fluid etc. etc. so will try out the oil mix as mentioned, continuously selects neutral fine when running cold but not when running hot. The quest for perfection continues.

Going off script here but we're probably done with the OIL subject now, went to Normandy, Bagnoles de l'Orne with the UK Pan Clan, and also found out how to pick up a fallen Pan!
Love all things French, roads, people, scenery...

Screenshot (190).png DSCN0176.JPG 354995256_10229358832025038_3245482087779640935_n.jpg
Just saying.. cold oil is thicker than hot oil. So it shifts better when cold. Use heavier oil.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Just out of interest, I have a small supply of Castrol 10/30 and 10/40 Power1 and if I mix them together in equal quantities - would I end up with 10/35?
Just to be sure, I'd check compatibility with Castrol. Every now and then, you can run into a situation where some of the additives don't like each other.

Bike
R1200rt
Just to be sure, I'd check compatibility with Castrol. Every now and then, you can run into a situation where some of the additives don't like each other.
I'm sure there is a compatability list in every gas station on the road just in case you need oil for your car.

If I remember, according to Auto tech school all SAE rated oils are Compatable chemicaly. Switching from one brand to another is not allowed to cause problems to your engine.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
If I remember, according to Auto tech school all SAE rated oils are Compatable chemicaly. Switching from one brand to another is not allowed to cause problems to your engine.
That may well be the case for your engine, but all I know is that, since I last mixed oils years ago, I've gotten older and my hair is thinner.
Watch out, it could happen to you too.

Bike
R1200rt
Good question. I am guessing 30w since they are single grade?
Now I really don't know but if a single grade oil has properties that maintain the viscosity in all tempeture ranges then we made 10w50. So just because we added 50w it should not change the viscosity of either oil. Mathamaticly the numbers do but I don't think the oil molecues change they just inter-mix. From an oil site "Single-grade motor oil is a type of motor oil that maintains a consistent thickness or “weight” throughout its use temperature range. It's commonly used in older or classic cars and high-performance engines that require a specific viscosity grade to operate at their best." Why do I drag myself into oil conversations:confused1::doh1:

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Now I really don't know but if a single grade oil has properties that maintain the viscosity in all tempeture ranges then we made 10w50. So just because we added 50w it should not change the viscosity of either oil. Mathamaticly the numbers do but I don't think the oil molecues change they just inter-mix. From an oil site "Single-grade motor oil is a type of motor oil that maintains a consistent thickness or “weight” throughout its use temperature range. It's commonly used in older or classic cars and high-performance engines that require a specific viscosity grade to operate at their best." Why do I drag myself into oil conversations:confused1::doh1:
It was a good one. I remember I had a 69 VW engine rebuilt and the mechanic said “in the summer only put in the 30 weight oil none of that multi viscosity crap”. I always thought the reduced weight was through additives and not the actual lighter weight oil.
Luckily engines these days are built so well that one can throw all kinds of oil in it with success and can claim my oil approach is best.
Why do I keep reading oil threads ? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Just for amusement I have worked on a car and a work mate has owned a small pickup, when the oil was changed to a different brand oil they both began too smoke like smudge pots, I know the reason that the pickup changed oil brands is because he changed jobs and ran whatever oil the shop used. He went from Delo to a brand that I can't remember. When he went back to delo it stopped.
I did get a chance to ask a some oil engineers at a Motor Vehicle Conference in Uninversity of Washigton why, one old guy down at the end said pretty clearly that it does happen and they didn't know why.
Just a weird thing that I thought it was amusing
Also "God made a few good heads and the rest of them they covered with hair" losing it is just a show of increased wisdom.........right?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Also "God made a few good heads and the rest of them they covered with hair" losing it is just a show of increased wisdom.........right?
I've heard the same, but let's just say that all heads are not the same. Some are regular and round, or at least symmetrical, while mine is a lumpy head.
Shaving my head has never been a desire of mine, not ever, and as bad as my hair looks now, I would look much worse as a baldster.
It ain't for me, although in the end I don't know that I actually have any control over hair loss.
If I did, I would take action.

I understand, If I shaved my head small children would be traumatized and my wife would not oout in public with me
I've heard the same, but let's just say that all heads are not the same. Some are regular and round, or at least symmetrical, while mine is a lumpy head.
Shaving my head has never been a desire of mine, not ever, and as bad as my hair looks now, I would look much worse as a baldster.
It ain't for me, although in the end I don't know that I actually have any control over hair loss.
If I did, I would take action.

Top Bottom