Moderation in preparing new to me bike.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I am resisting my compulsion to go completely through this bike before I start really riding it.
IMG_6503.jpeg

Terminator2

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I see at least a dozen things that I would go through before riding it :rofl1:
Hey now. Let him enjoy his fantasy for a day in this condition. He's brave. I was afraid of mine in the beginning. Then I called the White Courtesy Phone and the rest is rock n roll history, lol.

Sir Bike. Enjoy your bike. I really like the trees I see in the windows. That's why I live in the Sierras. I love my trees. :)

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Who on earth put on those Lego style handlebar risers? :rofl1:
A Plate with risers stacked on top as well?
You may want to check/keep an eye on the rubber grommets that are molded inside of the upper tree, as that much leverage will most likely start tearing the rubber out over time, and you'll find the handlebars will start getting loose.
Folks on the great book of face will tell you its normal, "they all do it", but once you open things up and find the rubber cracked/torn, and realize you'll have to replace the entire upper tree, which means removing the ignition and security screws, just to correct it.
Ape hangers on an ST, what is the world coming too?

Who on earth put on those Lego style handlebar risers? :rofl1:
A Plate with risers stacked on top as well?
You may want to check/keep an eye on the rubber grommets that are molded inside of the upper tree, as that much leverage will most likely start tearing the rubber out over time, and you'll find the handlebars will start getting loose.
Folks on the great book of face will tell you its normal, "they all do it", but once you open things up and find the rubber cracked/torn, and realize you'll have to replace the entire upper tree, which means removing the ignition and security screws, just to correct it.
Ape hangers on an ST, what is the world coming too?

lol - the previous owner did, and those were removed long ago...

Those are Helibars on the bottom (1 1/2" rise) and then he had Moto-CNC risers on top. It felt pretty firm, but was not for me. When I went to look at the bike, he had an immaculate looking Harley. I think he bought the ST not knowing about the riding position and it wasn't for him and his bad back. I told him that when I bought my ST1100 in 1998, I can still remember riding it home thinking "What I have done" in regards to the riding position, but I got used to it. So I think he needed to sell the ST1300 and I felt I got a pretty good deal out of it. After tearing it almost completley apart, the only real problem I found was with the SMC and that has been replaced.

I didn't realize that HeliBars sells 'extensions' for the brake and clutch lines. He had them on both, but when I took them off, I found out that you really do need an extension with the newer HeliBars on the clutch line, not sure how people are using them without. With my original Helibars on my 05, I didn't need them, but I don't think they had as much rise as the newer ones they are selling now

($40 each for those extension lines!)

2024-04-27 11.24.54.jpg

Top Bottom