Mr. Donaldson - R.I.P. 10/15/2014

Bike
2005 Concours
Well alright then... Umm-Hmm...
This could be a dangerous situation. It seems to me, and this is just an observation on my part, that the last time these two were together, is what got me involved with this group to begin with. And, if that never would have happened, I would never have met BDonald. Isn't it strange how some things work out for the best, after all.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'm not sure Bob had a "favorite" spot, he was an eclectic motocyclist. Much like me, I think his favorite road was the one he was on at the time.

Happy to accept Ash's invite to join him at the camp site. Since this follows fairly closely behind MLR, I'll make this with family and friend visits in between the two before heading back to AZ (assuming I still live here. :D )

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Just found this thread. Thanks Vinny for putting this together . . . I'm in for sure.

I'm less than 2 hours ride time away from Port St Joe and will take a ride down that way to scout out alternate places to stay for those of us who prefer climate control.

I'll post results when I have them.

Anything else I can do to help with this, let me know.

If anyone is flying in and needs transportation, I'll be glad to drive instead of ride.

Shuey

Last edited:

skidlid1300

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
Schwinn
This could be a dangerous situation. It seems to me, and this is just an observation on my part, that the last time these two were together, is what got me involved with this group to begin with. And, if that never would have happened, I would never have met BDonald. Isn't it strange how some things work out for the best, after all.
Thanks John... I've come to love this wacky group too... Now if I can only get a bunny suit with lighted ears like my viking helmet, Bob would have got a kick out of it...

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Just found this thread. Thanks Vinny for putting this together . . . I'm in for sure.

I'm less than 2 hours ride time away from Port St Joe and will take a ride down that way to scout out alternate places to stay for those of us who prefer climate control.

I'll post results when I have them.

Anything else I can do to help with this, let me know.

If anyone is flying in and needs transportation, I'll be glad to drive instead of ride.

Shuey
Sending a PM...

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Now if I can only get a bunny suit with lighted ears like my viking helmet, Bob would have got a kick out of it...
I've still been looking for one of those for you. Most of what I find is made of lace or velvet materials, not the typical suit like on A Christmas Story. I don't want your suit getting trashed on the first ride so the bedroom stuff is out I'll let you know if we find something suitable for you.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I apologize for being absent from this thread last three days, my internet has been down. Details are still in the works... hope to have some updates in a couple of weeks.

Bike
2005 Concours
For those of you who are wondering why Bob picked Cape San Blas, instead of some other place, here is the answer....as told to me by Bob, while I was visiting him after FerrySTOC 2014.

Without going into all the details of our conversation, Bob told me that while he was stationed in Florida, he had to fly everyday. And, everyday he flew over Cape San Blas and thought it to be such a beautiful place, so when his wife passed, that is where he decided to place her ashes, and his also when the time came.

So, that is as they say...."the rest of the story".

The Cheese

Campsite in Shady Pines reserved. Bob was a great man, no way I could miss this.

If anyone needs a overnight stop in Toccoa feel free to PM me.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
For those of you who are wondering why Bob picked Cape San Blas, instead of some other place, here is the answer....as told to me by Bob, while I was visiting him after FerrySTOC 2014.

Without going into all the details of our conversation, Bob told me that while he was stationed in Florida, he had to fly everyday. And, everyday he flew over Cape San Blas and thought it to be such a beautiful place, so when his wife passed, that is where he decided to place her ashes, and his also when the time came.

So, that is as they say...."the rest of the story".
It is one of the most beautiful and secluded beaches that I have visited. I understand why Bob would choose this beach for his final send off. Look forward to celebrating this great man next May.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I've reserved site #117. If nothing happens I'll be there. Seems I'll have room for 2 more Tents.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Yes Dave! Glad to have you. Room for 1 Tent left..

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Took a little tour of the area yesterday and it's as beautiful as ever. The campsites are resplendent with Pine and underbrush and the beaches are gorgeous. The park itself is 20 miles off the beaten path, so stop for groceries in Port St Joe or Apalachacola on the way in for supplies you might need. I took a pic of Site 115 - lots of privacy here.

For non-campers, motels are scarce as this is a high demand tourist area with most accommodations being houses managed by rental agencies.

Nearest the campgrounds are some cabins/houses at Whispering Pines and the Old Salt Works. Whispering Pines is the smaller of the two with (I think) 4 cabins: two bedrooms with queen beds and a pull-out couch in the living room. Old Florida, but clean and comfortable. Two nights (1-3May) is $180/night plus 11% tax for a total of $199.80. Divided three ways . . . not bad. It's about 10 minutes from the campground. The Old Salt Works has a large number of cabins/homes, generally more nicely situated. Descriptions and rates are online.

www.WhisperingPinesofCapeSanBlas.com - (850) 227-7252
www.oldsaltworks.com - (850) 229-6097

The Mainstay Suites (a Choice Hotel) is the nearest hotel/motel (about 20 minutes from the campground). Built next to the areas newest hospital, rooms come complete with kitchenettes. Double bed rooms come with 2 queens and a sleeper sofa with AAA rates at $120/night. Military (active and retired) rates for all rooms are $110/night. I snagged the one 2 bedroom suite and have room for two to join me. First come first served.

Cape San Blas Inn has 7 rooms with one bed in each and a three night minimum on weekends. I didn't get the rate. (850) 229-7070
Port Inn, Port St Joe, is $310.78 for two nights (includes taxes) for two double beds and a bay view. Eggs to order full breakfast. www.PortInnFL.com (850) 229-7678

Anything else I can check for anyone, let me know and I'll do my best.

Shuey

Attachments

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Thanks for the scouting of the site, Shuey. Site #115 just happens to be the site that Janis and I are sharing with Fali. It looks like a nice site and I'll get a chance to see how the Wing pulls the camper in the sand.

John and Janis

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Wow, Shuey! You did most of my homework for me... A big thanks! Still planning on coming down next week to check out other things... Thanks again!

Top Bottom