My Dad

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #

My dad passed away this morning after battling a particularly devastating form of dementia called frontotemporal dementia, or FTD. Fortunately, I was able to be with him, holding his hand when he took his last breath.

I'm posting this because some of you have met my dad at the Saturday morning breakfasts when they used to be at the Snooty Pig near Alliance Airport. I'm also posting this because my dad is the reason I ride motorcycles.

In the picture above, my dad was 17 years old. On a bet, he rode that bike from West Palm Beach, FL to Canada and back. While in Canada, he stumbled upon the Ontario National Field Day and entered himself in numerous motorcycle events. He won several of them and is posing with his trophy in this picture.

Growing up, my dad had a couple of different bikes and would take me riding often. Here's one I remember riding with him.

When I was around 12 years old, I got the itch for a mini-bike. Dad indulged me and we spent a couple of weeks going out and looking at various mini-bikes for sale. He always found a way to talk me out of "the one". Then one day, he asked me to go out to the van and get something for him that he'd left in the back. I went out, opened the door and there were two Honda XL 125 enduro bikes (see above pic) in the back. In this picture, we were at the Aztalan motocross track in Aztalan, WI (almost midway between Milwaukee and Madison, right along I-94). Not sure if that track is still there. You can see that ATGATT, even the dirt bike kind, wasn't high on Dad's list in those days. Later this day, I tried to compete in a trials event...with that bike...and those clothes. Here's an action photo of that effort.

You may notice that by this time in the day, I'm wearing legitimate motorcycle boots. That's because a little earlier, I drove the bike straight up a tree, driving a small stubby branch straight into my shin. Ouch. For the record, enduro bikes don't really do that well in trials settings.

I learned to ride on the XL-125, both on the dirt and on the road. At age 13, Dad took me to Bike week in Daytona, where we rode on the sand as well as on the roads around Daytona. Legal? Not. Fun? Hell yeah.

When I turned 16, Dad went out and found these bikes.

1978 Honda CB550K's with Siloutte fairings. Usually together, we rode these bikes all over southeastern Wisconsin. I'm certain there isn't a road in Waukesha County that we didn't hit with these bikes. I vividly remember two things from this time with my dad. First, the time we rode down Main Street in Waukesha one night...standing on the seats. It was Dad's idea. Second, with Bibles strapped to the luggage racks, we rode to church one Sunday morning, side-by-side down Sunset Blvd in Waukesha, at just over 100 mph. Again...Dad's idea. Probably important to note at this point that one of the hallmark symptoms of FTD is a lack of ability to assess risk or understand consequences. Little did we know back then.

In 1981, I loaded up the 550K and went off to Texas to go to college. Dad ended up selling his 550K and buying this speedy beast.

A Suzuki GS1100E (circa 1983). He ultimately farkled this up with an integrated, custom painted fairing and did a tour around Europe with it. After a bicycle injury that would keep him from riding for quite awhile, I flew up from Texas and rode this bike back to Dallas where I kept it for a year or so. At that time, too much bike for a city rider. It did however, make for a quick ride from Dallas to Waco on occasion!

After I was gone from home, Dad's passions shifted from motorcycles to hunting. His last bike was this nice Yamaha.

Sadly, my dad's disease caused him to lose much of his mobility and especially his balance. I was able to take him for a ride on my Honda 919 just once back in 2004 and he actually slide off the bike as we rode around the outside of Texas Motor Speedway. Fortunately, it was when I'd come to a stop and he wasn't hurt. That was one of the things that made us seek expert opinions about what was wrong with him and we learned about the FTD. I never was able to take him out on the ST1300 and most disappointing to me is the fact that he'll never see me on my V-Rod. I really think I could have made him at least a little bit of a Harley guy when he saw (and heard) that bike :)

Not entirely sure why I needed to put this post up here, but I guess there's a reason. Don't really know of anywhere else where people will appreciate how a man's passion for motorcycling can be passed along to his son and how much that shared passion can create a lifelong (and beyond) bond. Thanks, Dad. You taught me the rules of the road, how to ride safe--even when riding stupid--and most of all, how to live life to the fullest. I am going to miss you. RIP.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Mark, very sorry to hear this... I remember meeting him once at one of the breakfast gatherings. He had a spark in his eye for bikes that was certain and your comments above explain that passion so clearly.

He's in a better place. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I can say 121% sure I am glad you posted this... My dad hated Motorcycles,,, but after reading this,,, i sure wish I could have these memories of what you both,,, loved to do...

Sorry about your dad,,, but be glad you had him as long as you did... It really is the only way to look at it...

Prayers for you and family...

Neat pictures Mark. Sounds like you had a cool Dad. Sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad last year. He was not a motorcycle rider like yours but when I was 15 he knew I wanted a motorcycle so bad he bought me a nice used Honda S90 even though my Mom was against it.

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Mark,

Thank you for that inspiring story. I cannot imagine a greater tribute to your father than what you just expressed; he would surely have been proud and honoured. And what a tribute to the people on this site, that you would value their friendship enough to share with them what you just shared.

My thoughts are with you, and Godspeed to your Dad.

Patty

STOC #
Nice story, glad you posted it. It's a living tribute to the great relationship you shared with him. My Dad passed away in April and he never even sat on any of my motorcycles. You should (and obviously do) consider yourself lucky to have been able to spend so much time together while you were growing up.

Bike
Goldwing
Condolences Mark, as I lost my Dad less than a year ago. They apparently suffered similar conditions. My Dad and I didn't ride together, but he did make it possible for me to get "into" Bikes.

It's nice to have a place to share our hobby, and to post about important rememberences.:07biker:

Bike
1993 ST 1100
STOC #
7659 ?
Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful pictures and some of your stories about you and your Dad. What you wrote was beautiful and heartfelt. So sorry for your loss. Sending warm thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks Mark, some wonderful memories from a wonderful life.. sorry for your loss, but you do have these great memories. Prayers to you and your family at this time of loss... he is another person I can think of as a run down the highway on two wheels !!

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
I am sorry for your loss, but envious of the many memories and interests you and your dad shared. You will always have some great memories of your times together along with some significant pictures to bring a smile to your heart.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Mark, sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad. Great pictures. When I first saw the picture of your old neighborhood I knew it was from around this area. You'll be glad to know that Aztalan is still in existence... linky

I really like the first picture of your Dad with the trophy. You should make that your avatar for awhile. How many of today's "helicopter" parents would even think about letting a 17 year old even try that ride.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Mark,

Great story and great pix. Thanks for sharing both. I think it's great that you and your dad were able to spend some time together on something you both loved. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

John

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My condolences, Mark. What a great series of photos of your Dad, especially the one of him with trophy. Sounds like quite a guy. Godspeed, Dad.

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Wow Mark!
What a Dad, what a Son...
Before your next ride on the ST or the Rod, close your eyes and take a deep breath, you will feel him on that bike with you. His love of riding, of the road, the freedom he got out of riding will stay with you.
Condolences and prayers.
God speed.
JD

Bike
ST 1300
Absolutely a great tribute to your father.. obviously you realize how lucky you were to have him and share the same interest in riding. Your memories will live on. My sincerest condolences.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for posting your story and the photos. Having those memories is really special and rare. I never met your father, but he seems like great fellow, one I would have really enjoyed. I'll be thinking of him and you.

Top Bottom