My Dad

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Thank you for sharing your story and photos, Mark. I personally did not have a motorcycling background in my younger years, but I was not discouraged either. It is great to read. It is unfortunate your father had FTD, but a great story nonetheless. Perhaps telling it is a process we need when we lose a loved one. I'm sure he's in a better place now. Thanks again for sharing.

Bike
ST 1300
Sorry for your loss Mark. Those are some really great pictures and really great memories that the two of you created together. As you, my dad got me into riding as well, and we've ridden together a good bit over the years.

Regards,
bygdawg

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
So sorry for your loss. Before I got my first bike at age 5. I would look foward to the rides with my dad. On the back of his Harley. We never got the chance to ride together. But he is always with me when I ride. This Christmas will be 12 years since I lost him. I still miss him! Take care my freind.

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
Mark,

My condolences on your loss. I lost my father over ten years ago and I still miss him very much, which made your story somewhat hard for me to get through. I am glad you have so many good memories of doing something that you both obviously loved. I wish I had more like that myself, but like you, I do have my father to thank for my love of motorcycling; mine had stopped riding by the time I could ride, but he always encouraged me to get out on my bike.

Great pictures and a great tale to honor your father!

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
Im sorry for your loss but feel touched that you shared a little bit of your father with us
I very happy you shared those pictures and fond memories as I lost my Father this spring .
Sharing these help us all . I wish my father would have liked motorycles but it was not to be as they were organ doners to him .
You are in my thoughts

Mike

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
<scooter snip>

I really like the first picture of your Dad with the trophy. You should make that your avatar for awhile. How many of today's "helicopter" parents would even think about letting a 17 year old even try that ride.
I agree, that's a great pic. Yur dad was a good looking guy. Obviously full of adventure, too. Sorry for your loss.

As far as I know, the only time my dad was ever on a motorcycle, I took him on my CB-500 to see the floods along the Wabash River sometime in the summer of 72. We had to strap his right foot to the peg to keep it in place, paralyzed from a stroke in 61. We lost him in the spring of 73, still well remembered.

Good for the both of you for lives well lived. Thanks for sharing your story on the great photos.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Mark, Thank you for sharing this great story and pictures. Sorry for your loss you dad sounds like a great guy!

:usflag1:

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I love the first picture, before even reading the description it speaks to me of a epic adventure. I wouldn't doubt it has value in magazines, advertising for Ontario National Field Day 2010 possibly?

Thank you so much for sharing, you are very lucky to have such a cool dad.

tankster64

tankSTer
Bike
06 ST1300
Sorry for your loss. Enjoyed the post a lot. Reminds me of experiences with my dad. He's still riding. One of my daughters is just starting to ride and goes with me and my dad sometimes. Makes me aware of how lucky we are to have those times.
Thanks

FireSporT

Team Colorado
Bike
03 ST 1300
STOC #
Mark,
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like you had a great Dad and have lots of great memories of him. Cherish them always.

Bike
2003 Goldwing
STOC #
Your dad was a great guy!

You both shared a passion for motorcycles. Great camaraderie. Many, many memories to hold onto.

Very special to have a close relationship like that with your dad.

Thanks for sharing. That's what makes places like this special.

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Mark,

Condolences for your loss.

When you're able to, do take the time to celebrate what a great man your father was. Thank him for passing on and (more importantly) sharing his passions with you. What a wonderful legacy to have given you the gift of an appreciation for motorcycles and a full life. Can you imagine how life would be without the wonderful gifts he passed on to you? I'm sure you feel his presence every time you participate in an activity he taught you to be passionate about. He now lives on in those wonderful gifts he gave you.

I barely knew my father, and he died 10+ years ago. There was a time years ago where I spent a fair amount of time with my son riding mountain bikes, riding ATVs in the desert, camping, etc. However, he's now married and raising a family of his own, so I rarely see him. I think he'll treasure the good times we've shared together, and I hope he does the same with his kids.

This was a heartfelt tribute to your Dad. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Rick

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What a great tribute! Thank you for sharing! You were very blessed to have had such a great relationship with you Dad with a hobby you both enjoyed!

My Dad always called motorcycles two wheeled coffins! But I know that he had a secret desire to ride them, just never had the nerve. When he saw my brother and I riding, I think there was a little envy going on. We lost our Dad back in 1991, he was only 62, so I know how you feel about losing your Dad!

My oldest son is the only one of my five sons that ride a motorcycle. We have enjoyed a few rides together and I hope to enjoy more in the future!

Prayers of comfort to you, your family and his friends!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I am sorry for your loss but thankful you have memories to share with us. I lost my dad four years ago. I never rode with him but I ride now because of him. When I was about 14 and 15 in 1970 I was trying very hard to get my parents to get me a mini bike or motorcycle. My dad always said no as they were too dangerous. I could never imagine my father riding anything as exciting as a motorcycle with an attitude like that. A little later my uncle told me about the time my dad came home from the Army Air Corp in 1939 on a Harley Davidson with a sidecar. He apparently learned to lift the sidecar in a righthand turn, fly the chair as they call it, and attempted to fly the chair over a stone road marker with my grandpa in the thing. The chair did not clear the marker and Dad and Grandpa got all skinned up in the deal. After that story came out I got a Honda Mini Trail the following Christmas. My dad could not wait until Christmas Day and gave it to me 3 days early. I think he was as excited as I was.

My condolences to you and your family.

Bike
06 Honda ST1300
STOC #
What a great story! Brought tears to my eyes. How short life is and how blessed you have been to be able to share great times with your dad. I am planning to visit with my dad this weekend. (He will be 83 in January and still in very good health for his age.)
God bless and strengthen you and your family during this time and always.
Bill

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Sorry about the loss of your father. Looks like the two of you shared a pretty good life together. You'll always have that . . .

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Mark...Keep your passenger pegs down....he rides with you always, and will enjoy the ST and the V-rod now. He's free of all limitations, and can ride whenever and wherever he wants to.

It's hard not to cry because he is gone....it's easy to smile because he was here! You are SO fortunate to have shared a life, and passion, with your father. Such relationships are rare!
Condolences to you, and yours.

womantriker, Carole

Top Bottom