My maintenance and upgrades

OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Back in to see if I could figure out why I'm getting much more backfiring after the above mx. Looked at the PAIR valves just out of curiosity but the only thing I could detect was the #2 cylinder (RH FWD) valve 'ticking' loudly. It would stop with light pressure against the reed. That was with the hose disconnected though, and I couldn't quite detect the same sound after reinstalling the hose and cover.

On to the guts...
PXL_20240423_183045246.jpgPXL_20240423_183101077.jpg
the injector ends of the vacuum tubes were discolored slightly compared to the 5-way ends (5-way was crystal clear, btw)

PXL_20240423_184336408.jpg
but curiously, this is NOT how I last saw the meter when I adjusted the throttle bodies! Assuming I have everything hooked up right (only injector tubes (L>R, 1-4), no MAP sensor tube connected, tank is off so all those tubes are also disconnected...) something has gone amiss. Cylinders 1/2 low, 3/4 higher but no pair matched really. Thought I'd check in here before trying to adjust anything that out of whack and see what the group has to say about 1) whether that looks right/things are connected wrong and 2) what it might be if they are connected right. Even on my first adjustment things weren't that bad and I hadn't done it prior to the last time since I bought the bike. I'll have to go back to see what the before and after from then looked like. Thoughts?

***********update***********
Larry answered on the White Courtesy Phone while playing a tune on the guitar. We went through all the things to ensure are connected (the airbox white connector, the MAP sensor connector, etc), ensure the side stand is down (allows fault codes?), and what else may have been done to the bike since that last time...I removed the AudioVox (vacuum motor) Cruise Control! A quick check, run it back up, the level of #1 came up as the others came down, and I ended up pretty balanced. Much better than before anyway!

PXL_20240423_194819958.jpg

AAAAAnnnnndddd...on the way to the gas station and back, two-lane highway, 55mph speed limit (traffic is usually doing 60-65), I was seeing high 50-low 60 MPG numbers! Can't wait to see what I get on the interstate the rest of the week on my 'normal' commute to compare with what I was getting prior. Avg is still around 42.6 or so, hopefully that will increase with this tank.

Last edited:

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
And that is a very good example of why I don't like cruise controls on these bikes.
Look at how far off it threw the starter valve sync, and then once removed, went back to where it should be.

OP
OP
Gus1300

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
But it was synched with the cruise installed, to level lines, just like after it was removed. Actually it wasn't synched for several years, the cruise was installed in 2007 right after I bought it and I didn't do the first synch until 2020 when I bought the gauge. It wasn't that far off on the first synch, so I'm not convinced it was a 'real' issue; it ran fine with the cruise until it gave up the ghost and then after it stopped working, still ran fine. I just didn't rebalance them with the cruise removed, which obviously (based on the levels observed and the backfiring caused) was a mistake. Thanks for helping though, always appreciated! One of these days I'll get to that lower harness (knock sensor) and take a look at the thermostat! In the meantime, riding...

Oh, and the next cruise will be electronic vs vacuum, so shouldn't have any problems.

Top Bottom