OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Did you install the spark plugs or them? Seems like I read you did it, then they did it? I'm asking that because if they installed the plugs for you that you gave them, they may be counterfeit. Where did you buy them?
Sounds like bad or wrong spark plugs, spark plug wires not connected properly or the shop accidentally disconnected a vacuum line or fitting and didn't notice. Have you checked anything on the bike yet?
Good luck....
No, their plugs. And, I agree with all of what you posted. Just drove it back, told them the symptoms and walked home. A little pissed and depressed. I'm supposed to b leaving soon on a xcountry tour.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
My money is on a problem with the plugs or the plug wires - BTDTGTTS - from dealer! ;)
What I told the mechanic is to check the color of the plugs and one or more of them would not look right.
Three days later they called and said they had messed up one of the plug wires.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
My money is on a problem with the plugs or the plug wires - BTDTGTTS - from dealer! ;)
What I told the mechanic is to check the color of the plugs and one or more of them would not look right.
Three days later they called and said they had messed up one of the plug wires.
Yea, im glad its a honda. And, i dislike being patient.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Why? the bike runs.
OK, it runs, but not well. It sounds like it may be electrical, I suggest the bypass as sometimes they fail, I have experienced that. It was a suggestion,
My next thought is the vacuum hoses from the carbs might be leaking, one of the hose covers may have come lose.
All the best in resolving your issue

Bike
2010 ST1300
A reputable shop would have done a quick diagnostics when you returned it and had you back on the road in an hour, what are they saying.
What ever happened to a test ride after working on the bike? My car mechanic does a test ride before and after customers drop their cars off. It's good business, too. And this guy is probably the most honest mechanic in town.

From what you are saying it almost sounds like one of the carbs is not sink with the others. If the carbs don't open at the same time it will not have all the power and it will buck.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
From what you are saying it almost sounds like one of the carbs is not sink with the others. If the carbs don't open at the same time it will not have all the power and it will buck.
I don't think one carb out of synch is going to buck, it will just be down on power and run rougher with more vibrations.
I also agree that the Red wire should be closely inspected.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Unfortunately all too common. It's why I try to do the majority of the maintenance on my bike by myself. The things I can't do I get to watch em repair my bike. Like I said it's a shame that your bike is running worse instead of better after they worked on it. Probably something minor that they forgot to do. Remember the old saying i can screw my bike up as well as the dealer:biggrin: So don't be afraid to work on your bike.

Bike
2009 ST1300
I remember looking at a 68 Camaro with different bolts and nuts connecting the motor to transmission along with strange motor mount bolts, and thinking, this can't be really good, but what really got me was the missing bolts, I thought, this can't be good, I guess I just didn't really want it that bad.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Unfortunately all too common. It's why I try to do the majority of the maintenance on my bike by myself. The things I can't do I get to watch em repair my bike. Like I said it's a shame that your bike is running worse instead of better after they worked on it. Probably something minor that they forgot to do. Remember the old saying i can screw my bike up as well as the dealer:biggrin: So don't be afraid to work on your bike.
Unfortunately this might not be practical for Mike, but I do agree with you. I think Mike is in Boston, and I think his ST is stored in a parking garage so the prospect of DIY becomes a less likely option.

Top Bottom