My poor bike.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Whatever happened to a test ride after working on the bike? My car mechanic does a test ride before and after customers drop their cars off. It's good business, too. And this guy is probably the most honest mechanic in town.
At the very least, a test ride should be done by the shop following any repair.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
As I told the mechanic after he hosed mine -
"Do what you wish but since it is on your nickel I suggest you check the plugs first!" :biggrin:
Yea, I called him this morning and gave him the opinions offered here. Plugs and wires won, a couple on battery and on gas, which (gas) is a non starter (perhaps I should phrase that differently!), even tho I appreciate the suggestions. I'm hoping to b on the road next week with a vastly improved bike, camping gear and a thicker wallet. I got jipped last tour by two weeks and want that back! I have a tire ride to New Hampshire this Friday. Avon Spirits and shiny steel stems!

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
OK, it runs, but not well. It sounds like it may be electrical, I suggest the bypass as sometimes they fail, I have experienced that. It was a suggestion,
My next thought is the vacuum hoses from the carbs might be leaking, one of the hose covers may have come lose.
All the best in resolving your issue
Kiltman has a good point here as the red wire connection eventually fails. You might want to carry a repair for it in your tool kit just to be ready as you don’t want to be stranded on the road.
I guess this just adds to your list of things before you hit the road.

Red Wire bypass

just a couple of pieces of wire and 30 amp fuse connector.
Good luck with the shop finding the problem.

tnbill

Site Supporter
Bike
91 st1100
IMHO if you are going to do this it is a lot better to go with the relay route. By doing it this way you remove the current load out of the ignition switch and that side of the wiring harness.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hey double Pop what’s happening with the bike? We gots to know.
Dropped it iff fri. They are closed sun and mon. I told them i needed the bike fri morn as im scheduled my tire install then. Im planning on giving them a call this afternoon. I have a feeling im going to use the dealership from now on. Im still a bit upset. I understand people make mistakes but certified mechanics get more formal training.
Will let you know later. Im hoping to leave on tour tues.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Kiltman has a good point here as the red wire connection eventually fails. You might want to carry a repair for it in your tool kit just to be ready as you don’t want to be stranded on the road.
I guess this just adds to your list of things before you hit the road.

Red Wire bypass

just a couple of pieces of wire and 30 amp fuse connector.
Good luck with the shop finding the problem.
Thanks, ill look this up

Bike
2000 ST1100
Dropped it iff fri. They are closed sun and mon. I told them i needed the bike fri morn as im scheduled my tire install then. Im planning on giving them a call this afternoon. I have a feeling im going to use the dealership from now on. Im still a bit upset. I understand people make mistakes but certified mechanics get more formal training.
Will let you know later. Im hoping to leave on tour tues.
I don't want to bust your bubble but a stealership oops sorry a dealership won't be much better either. It's just a sign of the times. Nobody takes pride in their workmanship anymore. As far as a certified mechanic that bar is real low now. Probably computer based training with a little hands training on the machine. I remember one course I took for a Xerox printer that had no requirement to even have the machine. Just computer based training and take a quiz and pass with 80% or higher and you guessed it certified.

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I don't want to bust your bubble but a stealership oops sorry a dealership won't be much better either. It's just a sign of the times. Nobody takes pride in their workmanship anymore. As far as a certified mechanic that bar is real low now. Probably computer based training with a little hands training on the machine. I remember one course I took for a Xerox printer that had no requirement to even have the machine. Just computer based training and take a quiz and pass with 80% or higher and you guessed it certified.
Yea, it does seem like a bit of poker. I called them and they are putting a new battery in, which i already bought. I agree with them that the battery i had was a poor one. Then the plugs, wires and vacuum hoses.
He says that unless he has to order parts, my red will b ready tomorrow. I need my tires installed friday. I fail to understand the parts comment as the bike ran fine when i dropped it off.
A couple of hours work tomorrow and saturday, packing sunday, a appointment monday, and im on the road tuesday hopefully.

Bike
R1200rt
Yea, it does seem like a bit of poker. I called them and they are putting a new battery in, which i already bought. I agree with them that the battery i had was a poor one. Then the plugs, wires and vacuum hoses.
He says that unless he has to order parts, my red will b ready tomorrow. I need my tires installed friday. I fail to understand the parts comment as the bike ran fine when i dropped it off.
A couple of hours work tomorrow and saturday, packing sunday, a appointment monday, and im on the road tuesday hopefully.
what did he say was wrong or is he guessing? They crack a plug or break a wire ? better take it on a good ride before your trip

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
what did he say was wrong or is he guessing? They crack a plug or break a wire ? better take it on a good ride before your trip
Yea, they changed the plugs. Sid some other things that dont matter. Fog lites, bled the clutch valve cover gasket etc. it has to b plugs or wires.
My tire girl in in new hampshire , which is about 60 mi each way. I agree on the road test. Thankfully, i also have towing ins.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Good luck and hopefully they will not need any new parts. Wonder what they connected the fog lights to? How come you had to change the valve cover gasket; leaking?

OP
OP
Pop-Pop

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Good luck and hopefully they will not need any new parts. Wonder what they connected the fog lights to? How come you had to change the valve cover gasket; leaking?
Yea, apparently the gasket had been cobb jobbed before i bought it. The bike is and was excellent, but the battery was connected poorly and the v cover gasket. Not a huge deal for four tours and over 50,000 mi.
The ambers were wired to the output of the low beam relays.

Top Bottom