new BMW K1600 due out soon

Bike
2005 ST1300
I saw an article on line about this on line and it peeked my interest. I checked out the BMW forum and asked some questions about reliablity of the K bikes. OMG I am staying with my ST.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Technically, you're not supposed to do that here, either Terry. It's in the n00b bylaws on the home page.

However, since you're no longer a n00b, and you feed us well every year, we tend to overlook your transgressions.

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
I'm thinking that the K1600GT is going to be my next bike. I probably wouldn't buy the first year model, though.

OP
OP
Bob Bertich
Bike
2005 ST1300
Sorry if I broke any rules. Thanks for the feed back. I really love the ST. I only wish you could get it with factory cruise control. I looked into the audiovox but don't like that option. I will keep my ST for another 3 year or so by then it will be 8 years old and I will be ready for a new bike. If Honda comes out with a new ST and offers cruise I will stay with Honda.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
If the K1600 GT comes in at less that $16,113,,, and Red,,, with optional Lasers it will be mine... ;)
I'm pretty sure it won't have lasers since no one is as creative as you are Terry. Red may happen, but at $16,113 as the top figure, I'm thinking you best settle for one out of three here :). Maybe you could have them throw in a spare shaft drive to sweeten the deal. ;).

JDP

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
With the in-line 6 engine and the HID Adaptive headlight system, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz1pDehH5-g this is going to be quite a bike.

:04biker:

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
On the horizon

Picked up a copy of Rider magazine to leaf through it while browsing the rack.

Came across a little piece on two upcoming BMW models, a 6 cylinder K1600 GT and the other model using the same engine will likely replace the LT.

The size of the 6 cylinder inline was impressively compact and not much heavier than the current K1300 GT.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/bikes/tour/k1600/k1600.html

Is anyone excited ;) :D

I for one can't wait to swing a leg over one at the first possible BMW demo days :) Not saying I will buy one, but I will certainly take one for a spin !

Re: On the horizon

BMW had to do something to compete with the Gold Wing. The LT wasn't the answer. So they upped the ante with a six - not quite as big as the Wing but with plenty of poke, I suspect. The price may well leave me gasping for breath but the Wings aren't cheap either.

I've been flirting with getting a new 1200RT but a couple of continuing mechanical issues that BMW won't address, and their cheezy 1-year warranty, have kept me away. Wonder if they will extend the warranty on their new luxo-tourer.

pete

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #

BMW had to do something to compete with the Gold Wing. The LT wasn't the answer. So they upped the ante with a six - not quite as big as the Wing but with plenty of poke, I suspect. The price may well leave me gasping for breath but the Wings aren't cheap either.

I've been flirting with getting a new 1200RT but a couple of continuing mechanical issues that BMW won't address, and their cheezy 1-year warranty, have kept me away. Wonder if they will extend the warranty on their new luxo-tourer.

pete
While I agree with you on BMW's unreliability, I think the warranty on the RT is 36 months.

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

I am guessing this will be an outstanding, high-tech machine. I find it odd that BMW, king of the boxer, is building this one on the slant-six platform. Although I didn't read or see this to be fact, I am betting it has siamesed cylinders. Meaning there is no water jacket between the cylinders. They may have it perfected but I never cared for that idea on the old big bore, Chevy small block either. Oh well, nothing to fret over.

Hopefully it will be as torquey as they make it sound. I think that is one of the greatest qualities of the Goldwing making it such a good touring bike. Riding a GW and my ST1300 back to back makes the GW engine feel like a tractor. RPM at 70mph on the wing is considerably less and that makes for a relaxed ride.

Now for the hard part. Getting it to market under $30k. :D

Top Bottom