new BMW K1600 due out soon

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Re: On the horizon

Now for the hard part. Getting it to market under $30k. :D
I don't know,,,price-wise, they brought their new sport bike in right in line with the Japanese sport bikes. And it whupped their butts on the specs and performance. I think when, and if, BMW sets their mind to do something, they have the ability to do it.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
On the horizon

I don't know,,,price-wise, they brought their new sport bike in right in line with the Japanese sport bikes. And it whupped their butts on the specs and performance. I think when, and if, BMW sets their mind to do something, they have the ability to do it.
Not to mention, the price gap between Honda and BMW seems to be shrinking of late. Hondas seem to be rising, and BMW seems to be holding steady. The high price of the new VFR comes to mind....

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800

I forgot to mention the alternator. Did you see that hog hanging on the engine? I'll bet that sucker puts out 75, 80 maybe even 100 amps!

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #

I'm betting that 6 cylinder is gonna make many a rider sit up and look.
Yeah but what about the valve adustment on that babydoll?? But don't they have a deal on the current K 1300 that allows the shop to check the valves via some kind of USB port saving all the trouble of removing tupperware and covers only to note the valves are in spec? LOL. If not, why hasn't somebody thought of that?

I'll say this, BMW understands sport touring. Not everything they do works out, but they'll at least try it, and they don't sit around. They update current models often, and release new, and innovative bikes regularly. They're the guys that mainstreamed ABS, electric windshields, TPMS, and other stuff.

And most agree (especially civilian pop.) a BMW brings attention to its rider, and not many bikes do that.

I'll be lookin to add to the stable in a couple of years, and the K 1300 will be on the short list.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

The bikes are great, and I don't mean to take anything away from that--- but I really think BMW cleans everyones clock in terms of marketing as well. I've watched two clips advertising their new bike, neither showed the new bike... and I WANT ONE!

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy

The rising prices of the Japanese bikes compared to the Euro bikes is puzzling. Is the dollar doing better against the Euro than the Yen?

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST

Is anyone excited ;) :D

I for one can't wait to swing a leg over one at the first possible BMW demo days :) Not saying I will buy one, but I will certainly take one for a spin !
Yes.
My 04 has 47K and due valve check. I want to get that done ASAP (myself) and sell Big Blue. I hope I like the new BMW styling wise when it comes out. The K13 body work does not inspire me......the bags are too boxy and the cowl has a flat barn door look to it, IMO.

:04biker::)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
If Motorcyclist (October, page 12) is right, and if I am interpreting the sentence below as I believe the writer intended, we won't be getting both K1600 models in the US of A:

"...the K1600GT with sportier, European ergonomics, and the luxurious, laid-back GTL for the U.S. market."

That's a bummer if you ask me.

A question for you engineering types: if the cylinder walls are only 5mm apart, how do you cool all six cylinders evenly?

Bike
'02 ST1300
Rust... that is the main issue over here (UK) with BMW (more than other bikes). To be honest if you paying $14k+ for a piece of machinery you would think it would not rust (badly) in the first 2-3 years.

The other issue I find with BMW's is that you need to add so many optional extra's you need to get before it compares with other bikes and that really pushes the price up.

But yes I will be drooling over the new bike... but I won?t fork out any money in a bike before it is at least 2 years old and been ?battle tested?

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

BMW had to do something to compete with the Gold Wing. The LT wasn't the answer. So they upped the ante with a six - not quite as big as the Wing but with plenty of poke, I suspect. The price may well leave me gasping for breath but the Wings aren't cheap either.

I've been flirting with getting a new 1200RT but a couple of continuing mechanical issues that BMW won't address, and their cheezy 1-year warranty, have kept me away. Wonder if they will extend the warranty on their new luxo-tourer.

pete

Not a chance on this. BMW could care less about trying to compete with the Goldwing.

The new K1300GT will definitely not be A "luxo tourer". It will be what BMW does well, a Sport tourer.

I think BMW will be quite content to leave the luxury barge market to the Gold Wing.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #

The new K1600 L will be unveiled at Intermot on October 6.
Big German Motorcycle show

Bike
'06 ST1300A

Aside from the likely stratospheric pricing (note, I consider all the bikes in the Luxury Touring/Full Dresser category, i.e. Goldwing, Vision, Electra-Glide and K1200LT to be too rich for my blood) and the looks, I like it. If for no other reason than it will likely force an upgrade on the 'Wing. 'Tis unlikely I'll ever get one, but it's always good to see the state of the art advancing forward. Whether or not it's actually a forward advance of course is something only time will tell.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

Aside from the likely stratospheric pricing (note, I consider all the bikes in the Luxury Touring/Full Dresser category, i.e. Goldwing, Vision, Electra-Glide and K1200LT to be too rich for my blood) and the looks, I like it. If for no other reason than it will likely force an upgrade on the 'Wing. 'Tis unlikely I'll ever get one, but it's always good to see the state of the art advancing forward. Whether or not it's actually a forward advance of course is something only time will tell.

Again, The K1600GT IS GOING TO BE A SPORT TOURING BIKE ! NOT A COMPETITOR TO THE GOLDWING !

What part of that don't we understand ?? :p: :D

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Again, The K1600GT IS GOING TO BE A SPORT TOURING BIKE ! NOT A COMPETITOR TO THE GOLDWING !

What part of that don't we understand ?? :p: :D
There appear to be two models of the K1600. The K1600GT, the sportier model, isn't being exported to the US, at least from what I've read. The K1600GTL is the one we're due to get and that one is the luxury model.

Bike
03 ST1300A
My 04 GT had unbelievable power, great suspension and brakes, but it was just to cramped for extended riding. Had some heat issues also, but so does my ST.

BMW's are very expensive but they handle extremely well and I will be looking at this 1600 when they hit the dealer's showroom - hopefully it will be more comfortable because I ain't getting any younger and there's still a lot of bikes out there I need to ride.

Top Bottom