New G6 H4 with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: New G6 H4 LED bulb with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

You wouldn't have to cut the boot if you took the fan and bulb out of the holder and then put the boot on and put the bulb back in the holder. Well the ST 1300 works that way.
:plus1:

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #

You wouldn't have to cut the boot if you took the fan and bulb out of the holder and then put the boot on and put the bulb back in the holder. Well the ST 1300 works that way.
Ah! Oh well, lesson learned :D :D

I'll scout the Ebay for cheap rubber boots :) but so far so good! I rode about an hour collectively in the rain over the last 2 days, and so far so good. I do need to lower the lights on my Strom (they're pointed a teeny wee bit too high for the low beams)

I was told by a fellow Stromtrooper that "I should have read the ST post" about removing the fan :). I'm glad to learn the many ways of doing it. Thank you Dan!

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Vishnu:

You should make sure that the shields are level. I have slightly bent up the shields a bit to make the beam perfectly flat.
out of the box they should give you a 7.5 degree up tilt on both sides. (which is what a H4 halogen should give you)

Bike
2006 ST1300

When I first installed and ran the led lights I heard what sounded like a quiet fan running once I turned the ignition key. I don't have more than 80 miles on them yet, but now the sound is noticeably different and sounds like a screech. It's not heard above the ambient bike noise. It's only noticeable when there is power and the engine isn't running.

Has this happened to anyone? And does anyone know what it is? I'm just concerned that something has failed, and that might lead to led failure.

Joel

STraymond

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100
STOC #

Ah! Oh well, lesson learned :D :D

I was told by a fellow Stromtrooper that "I should have read the ST post" about removing the fan :). I'm glad to learn the many ways of doing it. Thank you Dan!

Regards,
Vishnu

So, does that mean that you can remove the fan, then put the bulb and base in place in the headlight housing, and fasten with the brass springclip. Then put on the boot and reattach the fan??

Bike
2006 ST1300

The only piece you can really remove is the metal ring with the mounting tabs that goes around the LED stalk. You twist off that ring and install that into place, as if it were a light bulb. Then the whole boot can go back in place, as if the light bulb were held in place. Once the boot is installed, you take the LED/FAN assembly and insert that through the boot, into the metal ring that you installed earlier.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
You should make sure that the shields are level. I have slightly bent up the shields a bit to make the beam perfectly flat.
out of the box they should give you a 7.5 degree up tilt on both sides. (which is what a H4 halogen should give you)
One extra word of caution is to not bend the shields to the point where the bulb will no longer fit through the base. Proceed carefully.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #

So, does that mean that you can remove the fan, then put the bulb and base in place in the headlight housing, and fasten with the brass springclip. Then put on the boot and reattach the fan??
Yes that's exactly how I installed the LED bulb on my ST1300.
Just make a mental note where the 2 notches are when you go to slide the fan back on. There is a large dimple and a small dimple on the bulb plastic sleeve. I looked through the headlight lens when I lined mine up. Worked like a charm.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Whether or not you can remove the fan may depend on what LED set you get. Is everybody talking about the G6 LEDs?

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
Dan,

Do you have a picture of the fan removed? While I don't personally need to remove it, since mine are already installed, I'm trying to understand some are talking about. In the photos you showed, I see the full assembly in the first photo, and the second photo shows the LED with FAN assembly removed from the RING. Might you have a picture that shows FAN separate from LED separate from RING?

Thanks,
Joel

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Joel - Fan does not separate from the LED ... they're an assembly. Only the base (with tabs) can be separated from the FAN/LED assembly.

The only piece you can really remove is the metal ring with the mounting tabs that goes around the LED stalk. You twist off that ring and install that into place, as if it were a light bulb. Then the whole boot can go back in place, as if the light bulb were held in place. Once the boot is installed, you take the LED/FAN assembly and insert that through the boot, into the metal ring that you installed earlier.
Very clearly stated.....thanks! I was getting pretty confused by some of the previous statements.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I just ordered a set of these I have the Cyclops 3600 LMs now I want to compare them against those they are being delivered today. I will follow up once I have compared them.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes it would be clear if we described them as the fan/bulb assembly.
Ok, we are in agreement then. There was an exchange earlier in the thread that suggested that the fan could be separated from the bulb. That wasn't my experience, but I was certainly interested in learning what had been found. Perhaps there was just confusion about that.

I posted earlier about a strange sound coming from the fan on mine. Has anyone heard anything like it?

Joel

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
So, to be clear, can the rubber boot be used without cutting it?

and is the adapter necessary on the ST1100? Almost all posts are in reference to the 1300.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
So, to be clear, can the rubber boot be used without cutting it
Haven't done a 1100 yet but I don't see why not. The Duke will be doing his 1100 after Easter so I will know more then about the adaptor. I'll see if he will do a write up on the 1100 when he gets at it.

richpeabody

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
yes
I just did my ST 1100.....adaptors or bending the two lower tabs around a nail are necessary....I just removed the two tabs and put some Gorilla Glue on the base....
I removed the fans from the bulbs.....then installed the bulbs with the clip....
Then slid the boots on....
I used nail polish as advised to secure the fans to the bulbs (I think it bonds with the plastic to keep them secure)
I cable tied the resistors about an inch apart and tied the excess wiring into a bundle.

As I said in another post, I'm happy with the bulbs and light provided.

Have fun!

Top Bottom