New G6 H4 with SHIELD is now availible - no glare no scatter.

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
"I posted earlier about a strange sound coming from the fan on mine. Has anyone heard anything like it?"

Joel

take the cover off the back of the fan and look inside. There might be a small wire that might be sticking out and touching the edge of fan blade. push it back into the channel and put a drop of glue to hold it in place. That was the case of only one of several that I bought.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Spiderman, thanks for the note. I'll take a look as you suggested. I hope that's all it is. I'm really enjoying the light output from these LEDs.

Joel

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There was an exchange earlier in the thread that suggested that the fan could be separated from the bulb.
This is why I asked if everybody was talking about the same bulb. There's a tendency not to reference what item someone's talking about or leave out important details in a long thread. I know there are at least one or two bulbs that have fans removable from the bulb itself. Even if it's the same bulb from different manufacturers it helps to know what item is being referenced.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
There's a tendency not to reference what item someone's talking about or leave out important details in a long thread.
I agree. I've been trying to make a decision about these lights ..EVITEK G6H4 per the thread title, and still haven't gotten clear info with regards to the use of the boot, and the use of the adapters, as they apply to an 1100.
I have used the adapters for years, and the 1300 does not require them.
Or maybe I'm just being dense.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Or maybe I'm just being dense.
LOL I wish I could say I wasn't.

This is my best assessment subject to change with correction of those who know:

The US ST1100 uses the same bulb as the 1300 but needs the shims/adapter to compensate for the missing two lower tabs.

This mod needs to be done with the G6 Evitek as well for the 1300 so I assume the 1100 needs it too. And as you said the shims that the 1300 doesn't need.

I just got off the phone with Darrel or his other brother Darrel at Cyclops and their 3800 lumen LEDs come with the correct three-tab base that fits both the 1100 and 1300 so no shims or addition adapter is needed. He said he'd get the website updated to show the option is for the 1100 as well as the 1300. I think it's fan is removable so there's no modification of the rubber shield. http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3800-Lumen-H4-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

For the G6 the boot on the 1100 would probably need to be modded the same as the 1300 since the fan doesn't come off.

Just for the price alone I think the G6 is the hot setup not to mention the development spearheaded by spidey.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
This mod needs to be done with the G6 Evitek as well for the 1300 so I assume the 1100 needs it too.
I used no shims on my ST1300. Just cut off the G6 lower two tabs from the base plate, and secure it where the old headlights bulb was located with the ST1300's retaining wire-clip.
For the G6 the boot on the 1100 would probably need to be modded the same as the 1300 since the fan doesn't come off.
I did no modification to my ST1300 boots. After the base plate (less 2 tabs) is installed (without shims), the boot goes on next, then the LED/Fan assembly last.

Last edited:

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
G6 Evitek is what I just installed with the adaptor on my 1300 and I didn't have to cut the boot. I used the adaptor because it lined up the bulb better.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Dean, going back to my ST days, the shims were to fill in where the two tabs go on the OEM bulbs, and to position an H4 halogen so the filament was the correct distance from the reflector........ the alternative was to not use a shim and just snip off the two lower tabs of the H4 bulb and put it in. You can do same with the LED's........... your call on the shim, but I'd use it if I had one.......

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Maybe a bit of a heads up for Canadians. Seeing as how Canada Amazon doesn't carry these, I contacted Cyndee and ordered a set.
That was on Feb 20. No sign of them and Chinese tracking is, well......a bit lacking. As far as I can tell, they haven't left China yet. I contacted Cyndee 10 days ago and she said she would look into it. So far, I have heard nothing back. Hopefully they will show up and it was just a one time glitch but maybe hold off buying from China until this gets sorted out or Amazon.ca starts to carry them.

Rod

OP
OP
spiderman302
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Last night I discovered that the original LED H4 3800 (G3) bulb has it's low beam LED emitters set 70 mils above the center line of the bulb. This offset is what was causing the low beam of the 3800 LED bulb to look fuzzy. The LEDs should have been mounted on the center line. A vendor was using spacers to "fix" this soft focus problem.

I found that in my DRZ400 headlight if I put a 3 inch bare 12 ga. copper wire (or toothpick) across the bottom two slots before I mounted the 3800 bulb. The wire would tilt the led down and bring the beam into a nice focus. However even this will move the high beam LEDs lower which will move the projected high beam higher than the horizon. This IMHO is a better fix for this issue if you are still using this bulb.

Spacers may still be needed for other reflector/lens used on other bikes. But try the down offset before you add spacers. This should help dial in the flaw with this bulb.

The new Evitek G6 H4 LED bulb has the low beam LED emitter on the center axis of the bulb and does not exhibit this problem. This is another reason the G6 H4 is a better bulb.

Yes, the high beam LED is mounted slightly lower than the low beam LED.

Be sure to twist the fan back 15 degrees CCW to make the beam level.

P1050047x.JPG

P1050048x.JPG

Last edited:
Bike
04 ST
STOC #
My headlights bulbs were shipped, then 10 days later I got a message that they had been returned. I reconfirmed the order and they were delivered expeditiously (about a week). I had also ordered some wheel weights from another Chinese vendor. They took 7 weeks to arrive. Good luck getting your bulbs. My bulb order was placed through amazon.com, the weights through amazon.ca.

Maybe a bit of a heads up for Canadians. Seeing as how Canada Amazon doesn't carry these, I contacted Cyndee and ordered a set.
That was on Feb 20. No sign of them and Chinese tracking is, well......a bit lacking. As far as I can tell, they haven't left China yet. I contacted Cyndee 10 days ago and she said she would look into it. So far, I have heard nothing back. Hopefully they will show up and it was just a one time glitch but maybe hold off buying from China until this gets sorted out or Amazon.ca starts to carry them.

Rod

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Ok so some boots were cut some and some weren't. Some adapters were used and some weren't. I hope that clears everything up. :rofl1:

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok so some boots were cut some and some weren't. Some adapters were used and some weren't. I hope that clears everything up. :rofl1:
That is a true statement. The G6 H4 EVIK LED's can be installed with any one of those combinations on the ST1300.
I chose to not use the spacer and not to cut the boot for my installation.

Bike
1&2&3-2005 ST1300ABS
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks for the info.
Rob,
Your Welcome
I start my commute in the dark and sometimes end it in the dark. Now with daylight savings, it's changed a bit. What I'm trying to say is these lights are a perfect combination for driving at dawn or at dusk.
If your still using the stock headlight bulbs, these LED's blow them right out of the water.

toby267

I bought 2 sets of these lights thru Amazon after reading this thread.

The first set went in my ST1300, the second set into my 2004 Toyota Tundra. The bulbs are an amazing improvement over the halogen H4 bulbs, brighter with good cut off. However.....

The tundra required load resistors to work properly. After getting them working, one bulbs' high beam quit working. After a few emails back and forth with evitek, they agreed to ship me a new bulb from China, but only after I cut the wires on the old bulb and sent them a photo of the cut wires.

I am not impressed with their customer service so far.

As I told them in my last email, Rather than waiting for a slow boat from China with only one working headlight, I'll order a new pair from Amazon and have them in 2 days, then send back the pair with the defective high beam.

I only hope the pair that went in the ST has better durability.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I bought 2 sets of these lights thru Amazon after reading this thread.

The first set went in my ST1300, the second set into my 2004 Toyota Tundra. The bulbs are an amazing improvement over the halogen H4 bulbs, brighter with good cut off. However.....

The tundra required load resistors to work properly. After getting them working, one bulbs' high beam quit working. After a few emails back and forth with evitek, they agreed to ship me a new bulb from China, but only after I cut the wires on the old bulb and sent them a photo of the cut wires.

I am not impressed with their customer service so far.

As I told them in my last email, Rather than waiting for a slow boat from China with only one working headlight, I'll order a new pair from Amazon and have them in 2 days, then send back the pair with the defective high beam.

I only hope the pair that went in the ST has better durability.
A guy on the stromtrooper forum had his bulb defective out of the box, but he got them replaced via Amazon itself, not sure why you had to get the China shipping :(

He got the replacements in two days, and the second set has worked great for him. My set are going great after two weeks, and I'm counting on Amazon's enforcing of the 1 year warranty from Evitek

You can check out the light LED output comparison in my signature link [emoji56] [emoji56]

Regards,
Vishnu

V Strom LED headlights - goo.gl/timRxQ , LED tail lights - wp.me/p48a0W-1I , MadStad + Givi - wp.me/p48a0W-1N, Mirror Extenders - wp.me/p48a0W-1R

Top Bottom