New Goldwing

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
And me!

"easy" is relative. I can put the ST1300 on the center stand without much difficulty, but every other bike I've ever had have been easier.
"easy" is relative is right! All of my other bikes (Hondas save one) have been much easier to pop onto the center stand including my GL1000. They've all gone onto the stand merely by applying my weight to the side stand lever. Not so with the ST even though I might weigh a few stone more than my previous 135lbs.

My 'Wing buddy can put my ST on the center stand quite handily. He says it's easier with his 2005 'Wing. I can put the 'Wing on the center stand easier than my ST.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Putting the new Wing on centerstand is not hard. I have an 18 and did spring for the newer passenger grab rails. Makes it easier simply because those are easier to grab but I did not have any trouble with the original rails either. Being doing centerstands for almost forty years and have never understood the difficulty in putting a bike on the centerstand. Never dropped a bike while putting on centerstand either. Just don't understand why some find it hard to do.
There is always the side stand though.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Putting the new Wing on centerstand is not hard. I have an 18 and did spring for the newer passenger grab rails. Makes it easier simply because those are easier to grab but I did not have any trouble with the original rails either. Being doing centerstands for almost forty years and have never understood the difficulty in putting a bike on the centerstand. Never dropped a bike while putting on centerstand either. Just don't understand why some find it hard to do.
There is always the side stand though.
My guess is the smaller, shorter or lighter you are the more difficult it is. It's just physics.
RT

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
On the 2018+ Tour model, you can raise the preload before dismounting, making it even easier to put on the centerstand.

John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
On the 2018+ Tour model, you can raise the preload before dismounting, making it even easier to put on the centerstand.

John
Is this different than pre-2018 models? I can raise the preload before dismounting on my 2006.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Is this different than pre-2018 models? I can raise the preload before dismounting on my 2006.
Dave, It works the same, but with only 4 settings. The non-tour has manual adjustment, like the ST1300.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Just to revive this old thread, I recently bought a new 2024 Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag from @Kevcules dealer, and I got it in grey metallic (the only color the airbag model comes in...)

And yes, I paid the freight and PDI I whined about at the start of this thread. In the end and out the door, it cost me 3 arms and 5 legs when all said and done.

It's as close to a new ST1300 as I can ever get. The new 2018+ models do seem to have taken quite a few pages from the ST's legacy.

1706144466829.jpeg

I did find a video showing a dealer's unboxing, setup and PDI of a new 2024 Wing. It does show you that there is some work they need to do to assemble a new bike for you.

Hope you all enjoy the video.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Just to revive this old thread, I recently bought a new 2024 Gold Wing Tour DCT Airbag from @Kevcules dealer, and I got it in grey metallic (the only color the airbag model comes in...)

And yes, I paid the freight and PDI I whined about at the start of this thread. In the end and out the door, it cost me 3 arms and 5 legs when all said and done.

It's as close to a new ST1300 as I can ever get. The new 2018+ models do seem to have taken quite a few pages from the ST's legacy.

1706144466829.jpeg

I did find a video showing a dealer's unboxing, setup and PDI of a new 2024 Wing. It does show you that there is some work they need to do to assemble a new bike for you.

Hope you all enjoy the video.

I really enjoyed watching that! I liked the first 5 minutes better as it had no music but it was fun to see that. I hope to see a 2024 in White/Red/Black come my way by springtime!
John

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I got motion sickness from all the panning shots. But interesting to see them put it together. If I worked there the music cutting in and out would drive me crazy.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I saw a new wing at my dealership today. I like the newer and smaller look. I'm not a fan of black, but it sure did look nice. Too bad I would have to sell my house to afford to buy one!
Is that a brand new left-over 2021 Kevin - or a used 2021?

I ride with a bunch of guys on a couple of one-week tours each year and there have been two Gold Wings on the last few rides. I didn't notice a big difference between the 2008 and the 2021 (bought new in that year) models - although I am aware that the newer GL1800 is lighter and has sharper handling.
  • I would note that the snazzy orange 2008 GL1800 (under the cover) was in beautiful shape, had gone about 32,000 km (~21,000 miles), everything worked and it seemed very comfy...bought used for about $8K CDN in 2018.
1706187928209.jpeg
  • The 2021 GL1800 was also really nicely appointed with every imaginable doo-dad, gizmo, and thingamajiggy - bought new in 2021 for about $38K CDN.
1706187771650.jpeg

My 1983 BMW R100RS cost me $4500 in 2019...or just a bit less than the sales taxes paid on the $38,000 2021 Gold Wing and around half of the cost of the 2008 Gold Wing.

1706188750584.jpeg

Now, I freely admit that my old AirHead does not have a six-cylinder engine, linked ABS, or a built-in stereo, but it does have a very comfy seat and a good riding position, it will do a buck-40 on the 401 all day, it has a very smooth, quiet, torquey engine that gets more than 50 mpIg (Imperial gallon), doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil or coolant (ahhhh...likely 'cause there is NO coolant), it has great wind and rain protection but doesn't throw a lot of heat up at me, and parts are readily available at reasonable cost. Also, it weighs just over half of what the GL1800s weigh (502 lbs versus about 915 lbs), is about as complex as a garden tractor and I can fix it myself with simple tools....although nothing ever seems to go wrong with it (and granted, GL1800s are also dead-nuts reliable and live forever).

This is not an anti-GL rant (actually, I've always wanted one), nor is it a commercial for BMWs (although I am not a fan of the newer, very complex ones that seem to suffer from failures of routine stuff like bearings, etc.) but as I am now 65, I wanted something lighter and simpler but still with a shaft drive and comfort for long-distances - and I found it. Sometimes, less is more and in motorcycles, the vehicle age is not, IMO, a big factor as long as the basic design is solid and the usual parts can be found while on the road.

Anyhow - to each his own.

.....just sayin'.....

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Geez, Pete, that post must be the most words I've ever seen you string together at one time. And PICTURES even.
As for me, I would encourage you to do more like that one, and probably most others would like to read more by you too.
In so doing, they wouldn't be slogging through my rambling, disoriented diatribes. Or maybe the smart ones don't bother with mine.
Yeah, there's always that.
I think I was going to say that I like the GW 1800s too, but I'm thinking the GSA will suffice for touring duties, and the fact is I may never own a Wing. It's juxtaposing that desire with garage space for three large bikes in addition to my 2 smaller ones, as well as my advancing age.
Not sure I have enough life left in me to put a quarter-million miles or more on an ST, a GSA, and a Wing. At least not at my current mileage rate.
But I am happy with the current stable.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
It’s funny as in the pic of Pete’s BMW and the GW, the BMW looks just about the same size as the GW. I know some people that own the 2018+ GW and love them. I’ve seen them in the local dealership but I’m too cheap to part with near $29K US for one (would have to get used if I was to buy one) and as my bikes run fine, I’m in no hurry to upgrade. Well, that and I’m quite ’frugal’ (cheap). All 3 bikes are dead nuts reliable and getting a new bike (or used) is a new set of variables.

From the rear, the BMW looks really quite large and comfortable.

Top Bottom