New member ST1100

Bike
1990 ST1100
Hello all,
Thanks for having me.
I just bought a 1990 ST1100 with 108K miles. It runs but is a total basket case. I will a preservation resto on her over the next few months. I’ll post a few pictures here along the way for the craic . When’s she ready I will ride her down to Rome from Southern Ireland.
Slan.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Unfortunately, it looks like it spent a fair amount of time outdoors- lots of corrosion. My only concern would be what is not seen (internals of the tank/ rust, needs for timing belt, hoses, and a general going over, potential for new paint and new windscreen, etc.)- might be more of an undertaking both time and financially than many would be willing to do but I give you credit if you’re up to the task.

OP
OP
Okparu
Bike
1990 ST1100
Unfortunately, it looks like it spent a fair amount of time outdoors- lots of corrosion. My only concern would be what is not seen (internals of the tank/ rust, needs for timing belt, hoses, and a general going over, potential for new paint and new windscreen, etc.)- might be more of an undertaking both time and financially than many would be willing to do but I give you credit if you’re up to the task.
You are spot on with your assessment. I bought it as a non runner. Amazingly the tank is like new (see picture taken through filler cap). I threw a battery in and it started first touch - I couldn’t believe it. No oil pressure light came on either. Corrosion on the swing arm is the big concern. It will be coming out and I hope it’s salvageable. Other than that it’s a long list of jobs including t. Belt.

Attachments

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Hello all,
Thanks for having me.
I just bought a 1990 ST1100 with 108K miles. It runs but is a total basket case. I will a preservation resto on her over the next few months. I’ll post a few pictures here along the way for the craic . When’s she ready I will ride her down to Rome from Southern Ireland.
Slan.
Welcome to the forum from Cornwall UK!

Bike
2000 ST1100
Wow I hope you got it cheap. I don't want to be a Debbie downer but she will require extensive work. If you have the patience and the money and time well....go for it. Just beware some parts will be hard to source and the parts you do find will command a princely some of money. Also since its a older ST1100 you may want to upgrade the alternator. Good luck with your project and please post your progress. Btw looks like you will have to find some side cases.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome, you'll find tons of help here, and your patience and commitment (at least at the outset!) is commendable.
These are fine bikes, but every time I see pics of the swingarm from the "Isles", I am amazed and simultaneously distraught at the damage done by your roads and your climate.
But as a resident there, I imagine you're used to it.
...from Alabama.

OP
OP
Okparu
Bike
1990 ST1100
Wow I hope you got it cheap. I don't want to be a Debbie downer but she will require extensive work. If you have the patience and the money and time well....go for it. Just beware some parts will be hard to source and the parts you do find will command a princely some of money. Also since its a older ST1100 you may want to upgrade the alternator. Good luck with your project and please post your progress. Btw looks like you will have to find some side cases.
€600 paid so not the end of the world. Maybe another €700/€800 to bring her back from the brink? I will keep an account of every cent spent and let ye know. I have the side cases but one is badly damaged. I'm not doing a nut & bolt resto - just enough. I won't be sandblasting and powder coating the frame for example. Wirebrush, corrosion treatment & paint will do perfectly fine. But it will be mechanically perfect, no expense spared there. I love leaving the scars on the old bikes, gives 'em a bit of character - like myself :). Thanks for the tip on the alternator.

Hello all,
Thanks for having me.
Slan.
Welcome I am also a new member with a old st1100

OP
OP
Okparu
Bike
1990 ST1100
Tear down on-going. Started at the rear. I can’t believe how hard it is. Bolts seized every where! And the heads of the bolts are like cheese. Seal bodged on the drive shaft female splines, don’t know what happened there. Maybe an install issue? Looks like water was getting in - full strip down of final drive required. Swing arm doesn’t seem too badly corroded. Will get it off tomorrow and assessed. Centre stand knackered I think.

Attachments

OP
OP
Okparu
Bike
1990 ST1100
BTW, don’t think I mentioned earlier but she does run. Otherwise I doubt I’d be going to this much trouble. Trying to attach video of first start up, but not sure if it’s working.

Attachments

OP
OP
Okparu
Bike
1990 ST1100
Still stripping, the corrosion is immense! Luckily the exhaust is SS, is that original- I don't think it is but someone might know.
Got the fairings off eventually - every bolts was a struggle with almost all beong rounded out by the previous owner. Wrong bolts/screws also fitted in places. Almost every one of them had to be drilled out.
I have a 40 amp alternator and 50amp fuse box on the way. Along with wheel bearings, headset bearings all brake & clutch master cyclinder OH kits along with same for brake calipers. Brake lines, pads, rear discs - front discs OK. Timing belt and service kit. Swing arm has been restored, see below. Tank out next and paint it.

IMG_0594.jpegIMG_0589.jpegIMG_0610.jpeg

Top Bottom