New Shinko 011 Verge Radials Installed

Bike
Super Tenere
I too purchased a set of the Shinko Verge's. I'm currently at 55,637 on the odometer.
I'll keep you posted. -JEP-
Okay, time for an update report.
I'm currently at 59,942 miles, so over 4,000 miles on the Shinkos.
I wish I could say good things about the tire but I really can't. I'm not a "Princess and the Pea" type of guy. I don't try to find fault but I expect a decent tire.
The tires after the first few hundred miles have the feel of a badly used set of tires. They show no unusual wear but I guess the best way to describe it is a badly cupped tire feel. I have a noticable vibration at and above 70MPH and at very slow speeds I have a definate wobble in the steering, as I said, much like a baddly cupped tire.
I even took the time around 2K on the tires to check the balancing and the balance was fine.
I'm glad to hear some of you guys are satisfied. Maybe I just got a lemon...but I won't be putting on another set anytime soon. :-( -JEP-

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
I've used mine in the Mountains almost exclusively twisties. After 1500 miles good so far. Good grip, Good feel in the corners...

OneSided

Panda Racer Extraordinare
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info...just ordered a set of 011's from 2Bros. I have been a huge Avon fan and after this poor mileage on last rear tire (3000 mi) I can't justify the price difference if these handle as well as you say. Looking forward to checking them out!

I attached a pic of my Avon rear...roasted it all the way to the edge...finished it off at CampSTOC. Looks like a racing slick, just glad I could limp home without belts showing!

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just mounted my front 011 verge and had 1 short ride on it. So far it's fine, very smooth and good bump absorption. Still have to lean it over all the way to the edge and get it scuffed in. my actual new tread measure came out at 4.5 32/nds. so it is 1/2 to 1 32/nds low compared to most tires. I mounted and ballanced myself and had to put on 5 1/4 ounce weights, the most I've ever used.:( This is with me marking my rim only heavy spot (not at the valve stem BTW) and putting the red dot there.

I've still got a Shinko 009 raven on the rear, I'll put the 011 Verge on when it's shagged.

I'll keep this updated as I go.

$195 delivered from 2BT for both 011 tires is good for me.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Thanks for the info...just ordered a set of 011's from 2Bros. I have been a huge Avon fan and after this poor mileage on last rear tire (3000 mi) I can't justify the price difference if these handle as well as you say. Looking forward to checking them out!

I attached a pic of my Avon rear...roasted it all the way to the edge...finished it off at CampSTOC. Looks like a racing slick, just glad I could limp home without belts showing!
Whoa! Now that is a used up tire!

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

That tire was toast! I hope these last longer for you!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm glad this tire is working out for some. Mine was shot at 2841 miles. I'm always running in the mountains and maintain 42 psi. I can't recommend them to anyone at this time.
Yeow...

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
Wow, Lanny. I didn't realize that the rear you had to replace on Saturday was the Shinko. Guess I will stick with the PR2.

OneSided

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I'm glad this tire is working out for some. Mine was shot at 2841 miles. I'm always running in the mountains and maintain 42 psi. I can't recommend them to anyone at this time.
Between your tire and mine Lanny we must have laid down a heck of a rubber groove on the Skyway on Friday. I'm gonna give the Shinko a shot...since I only got 3000 out of my Avon....how much worse could it be, right? 2Bros doesn't think they have the front in stock though so I'll probably just run the rear with a STorm I've got in the garage on the front.

Nice meeting you BTW...look forward to riding with you again.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I will be having to put tires on in the next month or two. What kind of milage can I expect from a set of PR 2 or is there any feed back on the newer P R 3's. It seems hard to find anyone who has them in stock. Two Bro has been out of them for a while.

OneSided

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Found out the hard way at CampSToc this past weekend. When I left home It looked fine!
My Avon looked fine before CampSTOC too! I think we need to send a bill to Uncle Phil....or maybe to TDOT or NCDOT...for making the roads too abrasive and twisty. Actually, I think it's fitting that the true culprit has to write the check for new tires.....my right hand!

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Wow, Lanny. I didn't realize that the rear you had to replace on Saturday was the Shinko. Guess I will stick with the PR2.
Gene, I would stay with the PR2. That's what I had Wheeler put on for me Saturday.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Well my Shinko Raven on the rear is down to the wear bars in 3500 miles. Verge is next, hope its better. Car tire may be next!!!!

My rear Raven is at a tad over 5,000 miles and looks good.

Air always at 42 psi and somewhat restrained use of the right hand. I've run my 2005 for over 82,000 miles and no longer flog it.

Top Bottom