New Sport Touring Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
To me the biggest oversight is the lack of an adjustable windscreen. I'm not concerned with it being power, but it should be at least manually adjustable. I suppose the aftermarket can help with that as well.

Bike
VStrom 650
I understand that, but I don't understand Suzuki. All bikes that are made for LD touring should come with factory top cases (even as an option)
I would suspect GryST that the subframe isn't up to the job, hence it's not an option. But it might just be that they are not trying to make a proper sport tourer, more of a sport, sport tourer. It'll appeal to some. It would seem the NT11 will be better suited in that sport tourer rule though.
Upt'North.

TPadden

Tom Padden
No factory topcase offered. What?? It's a GT (Grand Touring) bike eh... What are they thinking??
Most popular "current" GT with ST-Owners seems to be Yamaha Tracer GT; also no factory topcase. Riders manage to work something out.

Tom

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Suzuki SPORT tourer
Honda sport TOURER
Yes! This!

General comment--
- I try to keep a positive view on things and really just happy that manufactures are still coming out with new bikes and the industry is still healthy!

Cant wait for the CycleWorld and others testing of --- Yam Tracer 9 vs Suz GSX1000GT vs Honda NT1000

:beer:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Funny thing about comparos. When I was looking for a new sport tourer in 2005 there was a Sport Touring Comparo in Cycle World I think, between the top 5 bikes of the time. BMW, FJR, Concours, Triumph something, and the ST 1300 I think. The ST came in dead last. It wasnt the fastest, wasnt the best handling, didnt have the best brales, didnt have the best wind protection, but came out first in comfort. That was important to me. So I bought a 2006 ST 1300 and lived happily for the next decade.

The moral of the story is the NT 1100 will probably get crushed in a comparo, by something with more power, better wind protection, more features, etc, but will still make the perfect bike for the right person.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
The moral of the story is the NT 1100 will probably get crushed in a comparo, by something with more power, better wind protection, more features, etc, but will still make the perfect bike for the right person.
Yup agree with that, the best bike is still subjective, one guy says its perfect for them, another guy says the bike is terrible....
Kinda like, what's the best beer?
:beer:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I would suspect GryST that the subframe isn't up to the job, hence it's not an option. But it might just be that they are not trying to make a proper sport tourer, more of a sport, sport tourer. It'll appeal to some. It would seem the NT11 will be better suited in that sport tourer rule though.
Upt'North.
I think they did more than just slap a fairing on the naked version of the bike to make it more suitable for touring.

From Cycle World article:

The big change comes at the back, where there’s a new bolt-on seat subframe under completely new tail bodywork, adding more luggage and passenger-carrying potential than the naked GSX-S can offer.

Although the fuel tank area is carried over directly from the naked GSX-S1000, the GT gets an all-enveloping front fairing as well as a longer, more comfortable seat.

At 226 kilograms (498 pounds) the GT is 11 kilograms (24 pounds) heavier than the model it replaces, hinting at its more serious touring intentions, and the new subframe allows the fitting of quick-release panniers that are optional on the GT model, but come standard on the GT+ (at least in the States).

From Suzuki website (Mellow's link above).

Extended handlebar length and grips angled closer to your body gives you greater control over steering and makes the bars more comfortable to hold. The result is reduced fatigue when touring long distances or enjoying a sporty run. This combines with a new seat design and slightly longer distance between the seat and footrests to realize an upright riding position that offers relaxing comfort on those long rides.

The GT's new front cowl, windscreen and mirrors are all meticulously designed and extensively tested to achieve the level of aerodynamic efficiency and wind protection that is critically important to meeting the demands of high-speed touring, both in terms of dynamic performance and relaxing comfort.
Design priorities for the new windscreen focused keenly on maximizing wind protection, but also to keep the form as compact and attractive as possible. In addition to deflecting wind away from your head, folds introduced along the sides help protect your shoulders and knees.
The attractive new cowl-mounted mirrors and mirror stays streamline the flow of air and soften the force of wind that strikes your knuckles and hands for greater comfort and protection on those long rides. The design also reduces the amount of required eye movement, so helps make touring even more relaxing and less tiring.
The comfort and reduced fatigue that results from protection against wind, rain and cold better enable you to concentrate on riding so you can fully enjoy the GT's outstanding performance on those long rides.

No effort has been spared in designing the GT to isolate you and your passenger from vibration that might otherwise by transmitted from the engine or chassis. The GT adopts a new floating handlebar design that introduces rubber mounts in the top bridge and brackets to lessen the amount of vibration transmitted to your hands. Special care went into designing the thickness, shape and size of the new rider and pillion seats, and both seats are covered in a new material that provides positive grip. New grab bars at the back of the pillion seat further contribute to passenger comfort. One additional example is the vibration-absorbing rubber that covers the aluminum footrest pegs.

Bike
VStrom 650
I think they did more than just slap a fairing on the naked version of the bike to make it more suitable for touring.

From Cycle World article:

The big change comes at the back, where there’s a new bolt-on seat subframe under completely new tail bodywork, adding more luggage and passenger-carrying potential than the naked GSX-S can offer.

Although the fuel tank area is carried over directly from the naked GSX-S1000, the GT gets an all-enveloping front fairing as well as a longer, more comfortable seat.

At 226 kilograms (498 pounds) the GT is 11 kilograms (24 pounds) heavier than the model it replaces, hinting at its more serious touring intentions, and the new subframe allows the fitting of quick-release panniers that are optional on the GT model, but come standard on the GT+ (at least in the States).

From Suzuki website (Mellow's link above).

Extended handlebar length and grips angled closer to your body gives you greater control over steering and makes the bars more comfortable to hold. The result is reduced fatigue when touring long distances or enjoying a sporty run. This combines with a new seat design and slightly longer distance between the seat and footrests to realize an upright riding position that offers relaxing comfort on those long rides.

The GT's new front cowl, windscreen and mirrors are all meticulously designed and extensively tested to achieve the level of aerodynamic efficiency and wind protection that is critically important to meeting the demands of high-speed touring, both in terms of dynamic performance and relaxing comfort.
Design priorities for the new windscreen focused keenly on maximizing wind protection, but also to keep the form as compact and attractive as possible. In addition to deflecting wind away from your head, folds introduced along the sides help protect your shoulders and knees.
The attractive new cowl-mounted mirrors and mirror stays streamline the flow of air and soften the force of wind that strikes your knuckles and hands for greater comfort and protection on those long rides. The design also reduces the amount of required eye movement, so helps make touring even more relaxing and less tiring.
The comfort and reduced fatigue that results from protection against wind, rain and cold better enable you to concentrate on riding so you can fully enjoy the GT's outstanding performance on those long rides.

No effort has been spared in designing the GT to isolate you and your passenger from vibration that might otherwise by transmitted from the engine or chassis. The GT adopts a new floating handlebar design that introduces rubber mounts in the top bridge and brackets to lessen the amount of vibration transmitted to your hands. Special care went into designing the thickness, shape and size of the new rider and pillion seats, and both seats are covered in a new material that provides positive grip. New grab bars at the back of the pillion seatop further contribute to passenger comfort. One additional example is the vibration-absorbing rubber that covers the aluminum footrest pegs.
Yes Robbie I read that upon its release. But the Top Box is not an option (apparently), hence my presumption (maybe incorrectly) that the sub frame has been strengthened for continued pillion and side case but not the TB.
I agree with @TPadden though that Givi or some other accessories manufacturer may be able to adapt and fit an accessory item. It isn't that unusual for manufacturers to stipulate no Top Box or only Top Box or Panniers. Wasn't the FJR like that in the early days? Not that anyone probably took any notice.
Upt'North.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
But yours is a 2016?
Still an issue obviously.
Is it repairable or do you have to go down the replacement route?
Upt'North.
Totally my fault as I run an auxiliary fuel tank on the back...but it isn't as far back as a top case would be. It basically sits where the passenger seat would be. First time I replaced it, last time I had it welded, but it broke just past where it was reinforced. This time having it really beefed up!!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Timely...I just removed my broken FJR subframe for the 4th time. I'm a slow learner
You have to keep up.... known issue for years. You're overloading it with an aux. tank, etc. You need either the Givi SR357 rack or the optional Yamaha aluminum rack. Either is fine to strengthen the subframe, but the latter it is very well done and has the OEM look.

Attachments

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Just watched this vid comparing the Suzuki to the Kaw Ninja sport tourer. Won't spoil the ending for you

Which is the best sports tourer? 2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT vs Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX | MCN - YouTube
Not really interested in a Kawasaki. I would have to go up the road a fair piece to the dealership. I wouldn't breathe the air at the nearer dealership. Long story.

Not interested at all if the blue is flat/matt finish. Some of the pictures look like there is a shine on the finish while others look flat/matt. My helmet also has to fit in the saddlebag.

Looking for a local or semi-local bike to ride. With the price of gas going to who knows where, I'll probably just get the old BMW F-650 back on the road. Around town, it gets high 50's to low 60's MPG. Not sure about high speed MPG but it is suppose to be able to handle 75-85 mph all day. I don't see it without a sprocket set change out.

Top Bottom