New Sport Touring Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
I love my 2020 1050 VSTROM——Not likely to sell my 2006 ST1300 .They both stroke me a different way. Strap on a dry bag on the strom good to go.Put my gear INTO ST 1300 good to go for weeks.

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Yet another reason to avoid traveling with guys that have disparate bikes and riding styles.
I can't imagine how many fewer great people I would have ridden with if I stuck with that. Personally I don't care what you ride. How you ride is much more important.

The last "group ride" I was on consisted of 2 ST's, a GW, a FJR, a RT, and horrors of horrors, a Burgman. There is not one of those riders that I would not ride with again and again. There is too much value in the personal relationships you have to risk it because of what they ride.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can't imagine how many fewer great people I would have ridden with if I stuck with that. Personally I don't care what you ride. How you ride is much more important.

The last "group ride" I was on consisted of 2 ST's, a GW, a FJR, a RT, and horrors of horrors, a Burgman. There is not one of those riders that I would not ride with again and again. There is too much value in the personal relationships you have to risk it because of what they ride.
You missed the “traveling part”. If we are going somewhere two tanks or more away together I know the riders and how they ride. That’s why we are riding together. Someone else was apparently talking about day group rides and range wasn’t a factor in that context. If you are talking about a Saturday morning pick up ride with riders on different types of bikes that’s also not what I was talking about.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
The problem here is that most folks want Honda to come out with a 'new' ST that is 200 lbs lighter than the present versions and the latest electronic do-dads. Probably ain't gonna happen in our lifetimes or anybody else's! :biggrin:
Honda could, but I don’t think they perceive the market.

I owned a VFR1200X, that engine would work, put sporty 17’s on it, increase the wind protection, include hard luggage and swap out the suspension. Buy it would be 18k+ all day and I’m guessing Honda believes the GW has most of that covered.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
You mentioned leading the ride and CBR in the same context. You consider the CBR not to be a sport bike?

You help make my point. When compared to the usual sport touring suspects the FJR and C14s come under criticism for tank range as does the GL1800 though it’s not usually included in sport touring comparisons.

I made two STOC trips with a buddy on an FJR and he needed to stop about an hour before I would have on the ST so I consider it a valid criticism. Day rides no problem.
Fixed my typo, it's CBF not R, and it is a sport tourer that wasn't sold in the US. I define sport tourer as a bike I can ride all day for several consecutive days on say a two week trip with adequate weather protection and comfort. I had an ST13, a GL and two FJR's, now into lighter bikes as I age. Gas tank size isn't all that important as it's only the ST13 with the big range, the rest of us are in a reasonably similar range. We're stopping somewhere for coffee, lunch or pee anyway....

But back to the original topic, the Suzie doesn't seem to fit my definition.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Fixed my typo, it's CBF not R, and it is a sport tourer that wasn't sold in the US. I define sport tourer as a bike I can ride all day for several consecutive days on say a two week trip with adequate weather protection and comfort. I had an ST13, a GL and two FJR's, now into lighter bikes as I age. Gas tank size isn't all that important as it's only the ST13 with the big range, the rest of us are in a reasonably similar range. We're stopping somewhere for coffee, lunch or pee anyway....

But back to the original topic, the Suzie doesn't seem to fit my definition.
That typo correction makes a lot more sense. 10 - 11 years ago I was really hoping that Honda would import the CBF1000 into the USA. I met a Canadian couple at the 2010 BMWMOA rally in PA that were riding a pair of them and the British magazines spoke highly of them at the time. BTW the BMW RTs along with the Honda STs are the range topping sport tourers.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda could, but I don’t think they perceive the market.
I owned a VFR1200X, that engine would work, put sporty 17’s on it, increase the wind protection, include hard luggage and swap out the suspension. Buy it would be 18k+ all day and I’m guessing Honda believes the GW has most of that covered.
Yeah, I rented an 'original' VFR1200 over in Ireland in 2010 and was super impressed with the engine.
Wind protection and storage was a bit lacking (about 2/3's of a ST) and the mirrors were perfectly useless for me.
If they did what they did when they came up with the ST1100, they'd use the VFR engine and a lot of common parts from the new GoldWing.
But then that would cannibalize the new Gold Wing sales which has always been the problem with the ST in the States IMHO.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If every manufacturer listen to these all too typical threads, they’d never build a motorcycle.

Lord, the negativity…
Exactly. It's ridiculous to expect every bike to satisfy every possible rider.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
No one is suggesting that, not even the most negative of us, LOL!
Just a little hyperbole to match that of the plethora of negative comments stated as immutable fact whenever a new bike is mentioned. That happen almost every time.

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Have to see one of these in person.... the cockpit view doesnt speak to me much.....
Went to the new dealer this past weekend, and sat on a Hayabusa, beautiful bike...very nice gauge layout... not for me though.
The dealer moved into a previous Target space and its huge but hardly had any new bikes for sale.....

Duporth

Site Supporter
Bike
2021 BMW R1250GS
I like this new Suzi and I’m pleased Suzuki is supporting a motorcycle genre (S-T) that is now largely abandoned by other manufacturers.

Personally, I would prefer if it were fitted with a tweaked 1250 Bandit engine. I enjoyed my 1250 Bandit so much, a wonderfully smooth engine and a good touring machine. I have a feeling the 1000 may be a bit sporty for my touring liking, but to be fair, I haven’t ridden the new Suzi yet.

I’m still liking my magnificent ST1300 though, it’s a gem. Can it possibly be getting better than last year and the year before?

Maybe in years to come, a light weight bike like this Suzy could be considered. Even then, I will keep my ST and hang it on my shed wall (Note: strong brackets required ☺).

D

Top Bottom