New Sport Touring Suzuki GSX-S1000GT

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
No I believe the GW could power a small city!:D I was asking about the Suzuki GSX-S1000GT.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
If it has as big an alternator as my GSX1250FA-ST, it'll be plenty, especially considering that it comes with all LED lights. As far as fuel capacity is concerned, 5 gallons will get you 200+ miles of range unless you're really misbehaving, which is enough for pretty much any dry stretch in the USA.

As far as a centerstand and a chain is concerned, the chain IMO is preferable to shaft drive - it saves a lot of weight, you can change gear ratios if you want, and modern chains easily go 30,000 miles or more without replacement. I just lube mine every 600 miles or so with a good lube that doesn't attract dirt (Amsoil chain lube), and clean it with a brush every few thousand miles - easy peasy. I've never had to adjust a chain on any of my modern chain-drive bikes.

A centerstand is nice but at home you can use a pit stand, and on the road you can use a portable device that costs under $30 and packs down very small, such as these: https://www.amazon.com/GUAIMI-Motorcycle-Portable-Cleaning-Lubrication-Silver/dp/B08SK8DCYY/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+paddock+stand&qid=1632583959&sr=8-30

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
A centerstand is nice but at home you can use a pit stand, and on the road you can use a portable device that costs under $30 and packs down very small, such as these: https://www.amazon.com/GUAIMI-Motorcycle-Portable-Cleaning-Lubrication-Silver/dp/B08SK8DCYY/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=motorcycle+paddock+stand&qid=1632583959&sr=8-30
that's the same concept I used with my PVC pipe when I toured on my FZR, before I bought my ST. Just curious, does that lever the bike into the air with the handle like a jack, or do you have to lift the bike by the footpeg and place the support under the swingarm?

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
that's the same concept I used with my PVC pipe when I toured on my FZR, before I bought my ST. Just curious, does that lever the bike into the air with the handle like a jack, or do you have to lift the bike by the footpeg and place the support under the swingarm?
Looks to me like you can lever it up.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
4.6 gallons of fuel is a joke for a long distance motorcycle.
Well, it's 5 gallons, not 4.6. But I'm not sure it's considered a "long-distance motorcycle," i.e. a competitive LD/Ironbutt ride, out of the box. Most people who do that sort of activity use auxiliary fuel systems anyway, even those with massive OEM tanks such as on the ST1100/ST1300. I mostly get along just fine with the 4.8 gallon tank on my GSX1250, even living in Nevada where there are sometimes 160 mile stretches between fuel availability. And I usually need to get off the bike every 100 miles or so anyway, for a break.

I'm sure there are some tradeoffs between the amount of fuel carried and the weight of that additional fuel, which most people don't need anyway.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The so-called “200 mile tank” on any bike means it goes on reserve at 160-170 miles and the fuel anxiety can begin. On the 200 mile bikes I’ve had I often end up stopping at 150-175 miles to make sure I don’t get in a situation or draw the tank down too far. I’m used to lots more range on the sport touring ST and RT.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Even on my KTM 950 Adventure with 6.7 US gallons, I would get the low fuel warning at around 180 miles.
Off the top of my head, I seem to recall 230 miles was about the limit for me, but the ride is less enjoyable when you're wondering if you'll run out of fuel. I put 6.4 and 6.5 gallons in a couple of times, but it was nerve-wracking getting there.
300 miles on a tank of gas is achieved by a select few full-sized stock motorcycles, but 200 miles with a comfortable margin should be expected on any bike which includes "touring" in its stated purpose, if you ask me.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
If every manufacturer listen to these all too typical threads, they’d never build a motorcycle.

Lord, the negativity…

I took a 2007 VFR800 cross country, an F6B to Hudson Bay and separately to Nashville, Huntsville, Athens BG and back, a VFR1200X around Lake Superior, and a CB1100EX to Nova Scotia.

Get a bike, ride it, rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
The range greatly depends on the fuel efficiency. Many new bikes have pretty good mileage compared to older bikes.
For example - my KTM 790 Adventure that lives nearly all its life in lower gears on dirt tracks. 20l tank (5.2 USgal). I routinely get 250 miles out of a tank and on one trip on the highway, I got over 300 miles at a steady 70-80 mph. Modern engine management is pretty good!!
It is a good thing the ST has a big tank because it really doesn't get that good of mileage, especially if you start to push it.

Last edited:
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
It is a good thing the ST has a big tank because it really doesn't get that good of mileage, especially if you start to push it.
for 24 years I've consistently gotten 50mpg with my 1100 if I kept my speed in the 70-75mph range, and worst case is 45mpg if I run in the 80-ish range. I'd consider that fairly good mileage, and similar to other liter-bikes I've owned.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
for 24 years I've consistently gotten 50mpg with my 1100 if I kept my speed in the 70-75mph range, and worst case is 45mpg if I run in the 80-ish range. I'd consider that fairly good mileage, and similar to other liter-bikes I've owned.
It's interesting how much variation there can be in the same model of motorcycle. I had three ST1100's. My first one, a 96 standard, consistently got well over 45 mpg. The other two, a 92 standard and a 98 ABS, rarely got over 43 - all of them being driven in the same manner. Go figure.

Bike
2012 ST 1300
2024 Miles
STOC #
If it has as big an alternator as my GSX1250FA-ST, it'll be plenty, especially considering that it comes with all LED lights. As far as fuel capacity is concerned, 5 gallons will get you 200+ miles of range unless you're really misbehaving, which is enough for pretty much any dry stretch in the USA.

As far as a centerstand and a chain is concerned, the chain IMO is preferable to shaft drive - it saves a lot of weight, you can change gear ratios if you want, and modern chains easily go 30,000 miles or more without replacement. I just lube mine every 600 miles or so with a good lube that doesn't attract dirt (Amsoil chain lube), and clean it with a brush every few thousand miles - easy peasy. I've never had to adjust a chain on any of my modern chain-drive bikes.

Easy peasy is relative. By your metric, during a rally you'd be lubing your chain twice per day and cleaning it every two days. Shaft drives last forever with very infrequent maintenance.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Chain maintenance is easy.... end of the day is fine no matter how long the day. I know a few who don't even do that and their chains seem to last just as long as mine. The key (to me) is a thin non-grit attracting chain lube that I "rinse" the O-rings with as it spins on the centerstand in first. Never use a brush, just a rag with kerosene/mineral spirits only if there's a build-up of lube, takes maybe 5 minutes every coupla weeks.
As for fuel range, the last couple of bikes I've had (CBF and VFR) would go 200 miles. You're taking a bio break every couple of hours anyway, top off the tank, no biggie at all. LOL, I'm usually leading the group and it's the ST guys who think they can skip that and go extra, then they want fuel and hold the rest of us up..... don't worry, you'll adapt. All is kool.
However, the new Suzie isn't speaking to me as a sport tourer, it's perhaps more in the class of VFR or Ninja 1000 to me with that shortie windshield. Loving my Versys 1000 way more.

Last edited:

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
As for fuel range, the last couple of bikes I've had (CBR and VFR) would go 200 miles. You're taking a bio break every couple of hours anyway, top off the tank, no biggie at all. LOL, I'm usually leading the group and it's the ST guys who think they can skip that and go extra, then they want fuel and hold the rest of us up..... don't worry, you'll adapt. All is kool.
Yet another reason to avoid traveling with guys that have disparate bikes and riding styles.

If you are on day rides with buddies on nakeds or sport bikes then tank range doesn’t matter but a new sport touring offering naturally will be compared against contemporary and legacy sport touring bikes.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Yet another reason to avoid traveling with guys that have disparate bikes and riding styles.

If you are on day rides with buddies on nakeds or sport bikes then tank range doesn’t matter but a new sport touring offering naturally will be compared against contemporary and legacy sport touring bikes.
I guess your definition of sport tourer is not the same as mine...... do FJR's count (240 mile range) or C14's? How far will your GL1800 go, 250? It's all mine would do.
I don't ride with naked or sport bikes........

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I guess your definition of sport tourer is not the same as mine...... do FJR's count (240 mile range) or C14's? How far will your GL1800 go, 250? It's all mine would do.
I don't ride with naked or sport bikes........
You mentioned leading the ride and CBR in the same context. You consider the CBR not to be a sport bike?

You help make my point. When compared to the usual sport touring suspects the FJR and C14s come under criticism for tank range as does the GL1800 though it’s not usually included in sport touring comparisons.

I made two STOC trips with a buddy on an FJR and he needed to stop about an hour before I would have on the ST so I consider it a valid criticism. Day rides no problem.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Easy peasy is relative. By your metric, during a rally you'd be lubing your chain twice per day and cleaning it every two days. Shaft drives last forever with very infrequent maintenance.
Well, we could argue all day about the relative merits, I guess. I prefer the weight savings, flexibility, and ease of repair of the chain drive. A lot of BMW owners have suffered final drive failures on their shaft machines, so they don't all actually last forever. And I note that even though most Iron Butt Rally riders prefer shafties, the 2021 IBR was won on a Hayabusa, a chain drive bike. Thirty years ago there was a definite advantage to shaft drive. Nowadays, not so much, and IMO, chain drives have some definite advantages. YMMV.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
You all may find this hard to believe, but there are a ton of different bikes out there, all with folks who think their's is the only choice possible. If you are happy with your choice, you don't need any supporting comments from others. Just go ride..
Exactly as I said in post #69

This is typical, in a caricature-ish way, of special interest forums.

Top Bottom