Nice phone mount

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
How does the cell phone like the bumps and vibration? No problems? Don't iPhones have a hard drive inside or are they solid state drives now?
Works great - No issues with the phone after a couple of years now. I have an IPhone 6plus which is fairly large. All solid state for a long while now. The mount functions in exactly the same manner as the expensive 80.00 mount. Very solid and compact. Comes with rubber feet if you want to cushion the phone but the phone case I have is very tough and I did not use the rubber grips on the mount. I'll get some pics to show how I mounted it.

Dan

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
iPhones have never had spinny drives.
I was in the apple store a few years ago and while waiting for the genius bar guy, I watched kid after kid bring their broken iphones in, and a few of them were denied warranty coverage because of a dent in the middle of the back 'right where the hard drive is' - or so the tech person said. All were accepted for repair or estimates with that caveat.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I've had iPhones since the first iPhone (aka 2G) . They've never had a spinny drive. Ever. They've all used flash storage same as the non-smartphones from other manufacturers. Maybe one of those had an HDD. Not iPhones.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I keep my phone in my pocket. The reason being, is that I want it with me in case of a get off. I don't want to be stuck in a ditch and looking at my phone that is on my bike 30 feet away that I now can't get to. Or, be stuck under the bike and the phone came off with the impact and is now gone. I do the same with my Spot, keep it on my person.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
For the few times it will get used I wasn't prepared to spend the kind dollars required to get a glove-friendly GPS so I bought a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active to use only as a GPS unit. As a bonus it has a great camera. The phone is waterproof, shockproof and has a glove-friendly screen. That's what this mount is for.

I plan to run OSMAND or something similar. It won't be connected to the cellular network.

My iPhone will continue to live in my jacket pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I was in the apple store a few years ago and while waiting for the genius bar guy, I watched kid after kid bring their broken iphones in, and a few of them were denied warranty coverage because of a dent in the middle of the back 'right where the hard drive is' - or so the tech person said. All were accepted for repair or estimates with that caveat.
I frankly don't trust those Apple geniuses. Just a couple of months ago they told me there was no way to fix the faulty mute switch in my iPhone 6, telling me I needed a new phone. I walked directly across the mall from the Apple store and had it replaced at one of those fixit kiosks for $50. Works great now. They lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
2010 ST1300
I frankly don’t trust those Apple geniuses. Just a couple of months ago they told me there was no way to fix the faulty mute switch in my iPhone 6, telling me I needed a new phone. I walked directly across the mall from the Apple store and had it replaced at one of those fixit kiosks for $50. Works great now. They lie.
I'm not convinced that they deliberately lie. There is an apple store about 5 minutes from my house, and when there was a supermarket nearby I stopped in regularly. I've also used their 'genius bar' fairly often, and took one of their private training courses when I first changed over from MS to Apple. There is a very wide spread of knowledge and ability among their staff, and some are natural salesmen (and v. knowledgeable) and some are not so good. I've received a wide range of expertise there and when someone seems less than confident or delivers information I think is questionable, I've asked for a supervisor's opinion. Said supervisors also fall into the bell curve of knowledge and ability - much like automobile and (gasp) motorcycle mechanics.

The real problem is that there are so many of them (apple staff people) that you are more likely to meet one of moderate ability and expertise than one higher up the food chain. This, to me is the crux of the service issue at Apple.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I also have one of the Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze mounts. Beautiful piece of kit but pricey. Used it to mount my then pricey Google Pixel phone. I figured it was kind of like the helmet advice - "Got a $10 phone, use a $10 mount".

The stupid thing is I mounted it via a RAM ball, so I tethered the mount to the bars in case the Ball loosens up! :rolleyes:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
I keep my phone in my pocket. The reason being, is that I want it with me in case of a get off. I don't want to be stuck in a ditch and looking at my phone that is on my bike 30 feet away that I now can't get to. Or, be stuck under the bike and the phone came off with the impact and is now gone. I do the same with my Spot, keep it on my person.
Same here. I could tell a story of a friend who's phone was in his tank bag. It was tossed into the trees when he had an accident. Fellow rider and EMT's had no emergency contact number to call.

The stupid thing is I mounted it via a RAM ball, so I tethered the mount to the bars in case the Ball loosens up! :rolleyes:
the ball is too small for the ride. I think basic set ups come with the smallest socket and ball available- if you want reliability change the ball and socket for a larger diameter. you'll probably find that the tether, simply just isn't needed

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the_gr8t_waldo said:
the ball is too small for the ride.
Are you referring to off-road? My mount is a little on the heavier side but it's solid on rough streets with the 1" ball.

They do wear and compress over time. You can rotate the ball or heat it or dip it and/or dip it in cornstarch to reduce slippage.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
the ball is too small for the ride. I think basic set ups come with the smallest socket and ball available- if you want reliability change the ball and socket for a larger diameter. you'll probably find that the tether, simply just isn't needed

Actually, I'm more worried about little hands playing with the mount (when I've removed the phone for a personal refueling stop). I bought some fishing leaders for use with a GoPro and have an extra one threaded through the phone mount.

Last edited:

v8-7

Site Supporter
I received my unit 2-3 days ago and it looks very nicely made ..
It came with some pre-glued rubber stick on's .
It also came with a larger bolt and a clear piece of plastic that I haven't figured out what they are for ...
The ram ball in the previous picture looks useful . Where can I source one of those ?

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
My fancy mount arrived today.
I have to say that I'm completely blown away by its quality.
Here it is with the S6 Active loaded in.

(Apologies for the less than stellar photos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom