Nice phone mount

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
My fancy mount arrived today.
I have to say that I'm completely blown away by its quality.
Here it is with the S6 Active loaded in.

(Apologies for the less than stellar photos)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice! I am still waiting for mine but even when I receive it, I don't know if I will use it on the ST. I am set up already but in a vehicle it may work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
My fancy mount arrived today.
I have to say that I’m completely blown away by its quality.
That is some nice kit! It looks even nicer in your pics than the site and a great value for the price of a Quarter Pounder and medium fries.

OP
OP
DavidR8

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
That is some nice kit! It looks even nicer in your pics than the site and a great value for the price of a Quarter Pounder and medium fries.
No kidding.
It came in a proper box with decent packaging as well.
This is the bit for mounting to round handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wes

Site Supporter
Bike
07 ST1300, DRZ400S
I'm new to my ST1300 and wanting to add a Ram X-Mount. Do you have any pics of your setup you can share? Thanks

Bike
2005 st1300
I bought 2 of them, since they were so inexpensive. Shipping was quite fast. My only gripe is that the fingers are a little short. With my otterbox case, the fingers squeeze halfway in the middle of the thick case. One little bump and the phone will pop out. With my Spigen case or no case, it is not an issue. Overall, I am impressed, for the price.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Ordered on a few days ago... Currently using the "X" mount and it has worked well. Still a little concerned about this one losing it's grip from vibration... ie screw adjustment backing off. Has anyone fully tested this little mount yet... if so for how long?
And on what bike under what conditions?

Ordered on a few days ago... Currently using the "X" mount and it has worked well. Still a little concerned about this one losing it's grip from vibration... ie screw adjustment backing off. Has anyone fully tested this little mount yet... if so for how long?
Use the x grip tether available online

Bike
2005 st1300
As I have stated, the fingers are too short to hold the phone properly with a case. For that reason, I wont use it on my bike. One bump with the hand and the phone pops out. I mounted one to the dash in my concrete mixer, which is my daily driver and I have to say, the phone doesnt vibrate loose or fall out on its own, only when bumped with my hand. The screw hasnt loosened at all. If I dont hit it, the phone has stayed put for 8-10 hours of abuse on jobsites.For the unfamiliar, concrete trucks have no rear suspension and the ride can be VERY ROUGH at times, especially off-road. I dont worry about the phone falling out in the truck, if I hit it because it just lands on the floor or console... on the bike however, the phone would likely be toast if it it fell out while riding.
IMHO, if I were to get a mount for my bike like this, I would get the mount from Hondo Garage for $100, here in Canada. The videos of that mount in action are impressive. The fingers are longer and the angle of the fingers "traps" the phone to the point where you cant pull the phone out with significant force
http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount

This one looks promising as well

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
As I have stated, the fingers are too short to hold the phone properly with a case. For that reason, I wont use it on my bike.
Why not back it up with a couple of fat rubber bands - like those used on broccoli or other similar type vegetables?

Bike
2005 st1300
Why not back it up with a couple of fat rubber bands - like those used on broccoli or other similar type vegetables?
Good idea. I already have a bike mount I made by affixing a RAM ball to the OtterBox belt clip. The phone is very securely held. I just dont like the otterbox rubber case for everyday use, so I was looking for something else, so while these mounts were are discussing wont fit the bill for my bike, they are fine for my vehicles and I will continue to use my homemade mount on my bike for now. I just wanted to point out a shortcoming of this mount for people who really wanted to use this on their bike.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I just dont like the otterbox rubber case for everyday use,
I use a Lifeproof case. Pricey, but I paid $20 something on ebay, so don't go rushing to the website and bite on their $79 list price (well, i haven't checked the price recently, but that was what they were asking when I bought my iphone a few years ago). The Lifeproof is supposed to be waterproof, tho the fingerprint id does not work well through the membrane.

Thanks for the link. I missed that earlier. Looks like an excellent solution to the problem. And more elegant than rubber bands.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
Purchased May 11th, still waiting and while tracking says July 16th expected delivery. Not that I need it or know where to use it, but doesn't it seem a little cost prohibitive to have it delivered by a young Chinese boy swimming it across the ocean?

Bike
2008 ST1300A
...IMHO, if I were to get a mount for my bike like this, I would get the mount from Hondo Garage for $100, here in Canada. The videos of that mount in action are impressive. The fingers are longer and the angle of the fingers "traps" the phone to the point where you cant pull the phone out with significant force
http://www.hondogarage.com/index.php/product/landing/perfect-squeeze-phone-mount
I can attest to enjoying the Hondo mount (purchased it before I was aware of the model in the topic of this thread). Matched it with a RAM ball and arm to mate with the existing ball on my riser. Has worked well over the past 200km of highway travel, 300km city. I use the Samsung S8+ (waterproof) in a Spigen Neo Hybrid case.

20180619_081858 (2).jpg20180619_081854 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
I may hear howls of derision on this, but I just use a suction-cup windshield mount. Never had a problem with any of those on any bike (or car for that matter). Mind you, on the ST it's kinda wedged in there anyway, so likely not catastrophic if it fails. I'm also careful to clean the shield inside to pristine before putting it on (and typically just leave them on once mounted, no on-off-on-off).

I also like that the actual phone-holder is a positive-lock rather than spring loaded (e.g. it 'ratchets down' onto the phone and you have to press a button to release it.) I've several brands, but the one on the ST is made by Scosche FWIW. $16 at Wally-world for the whole setup.

Last but not least... another good reason I stick to purchased (not leased) unlocked cheap-ish Android phones... If it bit the dust somehow it's an inconvenience, not a tragedy. Head to the nearest BestBuy and fork over ~$200, I'm mobile-ized again. I'm hard on phones and they average 18 months or so in my 'care' anyway... The latest one - a Moto G Gen 5 - has a cracked screen as of a week ago and is on its last legs... about 1.5 years in, as usual.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I can attest to enjoying the Hondo mount
+1 I really like it. Yeah it's a little pricey but I quickly forget about the little details.

It fits just about any smartphone with or without a case (phablets maybe not so much) and can be used vertically or horizontally no worries. A couple of quick turns of the knob and it's not coming out short of an impact where the phone is the least of your worries.

The RAM X-Grip never faltered. But to avoid its upper left arm playing with the volume buttons of my smallish iPhone I had to set it up high in the Grip. The two arms at the bottom just barely got a purchase on the flat of it and made me a little nervous. No worries with the Perfect Squeeze.

Top Bottom