Not your typical oil thread. Rotella T6

OP
OP
Daniel
So, how, exactly, is this not a 'typical' oil thread? ...........

Looks like a TYPICAL OIL THREAD to me! :rofl1:
I truly feel shame. But, the truth is, I bought the Rotella in a moment of cheapness, then had second thoughts. Despite my shame, I am glad I posted this because I returned the Rotella today. My oil and filter arrived from walmart.com today also. My oil is changed, new tires put on this past Saturday (Hey.....any dark siders out there??........relax....just effing with ya'll). I just have to giver her a good cleaning/wax, and I'm ready for the season.

All joking aside, I do apologize for starting what has turned out to be a "typical oil thread."

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I truly feel shame. ...

All joking aside, I do apologize for starting what has turned out to be a "typical oil thread."
That's what this forum is all about...bringing up subjects that, even though :BDH:, they still come out informative, instead of forum member bashing! :box1: :D

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
can I go from synthetic which this Wing has had since new to dino oil and back again if I want to without risk of clutch problems etc.....
Yes as long as you avoid the oils listed as energy or resource conserving. Mineral and synthetic oils are compatible- at least I have never seen a synthetic oil which stated that it cannot be mixed with mineral oil.

Bike
2010 ST1300
oil threads???
Well, that isn't all bad. Seems like a lot of interest in yet another one.

I truly feel shame. But, the truth is, I bought the Rotella in a moment of cheapness, then had second thoughts. Despite my shame, I am glad I posted this because I returned the Rotella today. My oil and filter arrived from walmart.com today also. My oil is changed, new tires put on this past Saturday (Hey.....any dark siders out there??........relax....just effing with ya'll). I just have to giver her a good cleaning/wax, and I'm ready for the season.

Hey, don't apologize. I said I learned something in this thread (can put my finger immediately on two things) and that is EXACTLY what this forum is all about. And as for returning the oil, nothing wrong with trying to save a buck. If its one thing I learned a long time ago, my time is worth something, and agonizing over this item or that item because this one costs $3 less is sometimes silly. If nothing else, you too, learned something here.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The OP very deliberately stated what he wanted to accomplish with his post. That made this an atypical oil thread.

The rest is forum decorum. I trust he's learned his lesson. LOL.

dwalby said:
oil threads???
:rofl1:

Too bad the API recommendation for gasoline engines is no longer there. C is for diesel applications, S is for gasoline. API SH/SL/SN used to be there but not anymore. The new API CK-4 standard drastically cut the amount of Phosphorus allowed in this oil and this was what was so good for valve train protection in past formulas of Rotella 5w40 and 15w40. It's gone now.
To confuse things even more have a look at this posting. OP spoke directly (so he says) to tech at Shell and this is what they said. Zinc levels are actually HIGHER in new formula. You'll also see that attached data sheets for the new formula vs old formula. API SN is still there...so are JASO MA M2. Here is link..... https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2820011

But look here and there is no API SH/SL/SN....lol....ah well. http://rotella.shell.com/products/full-synthetic-and-blend-oil/t6-full-synthetic.html

Last edited:
Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
The website "Bobistheoilguy" has tons of excellent information!
Agreed. Almost all discussions on oil go back to there. I keep one thing in the back of my mind when perusing their forums...the posters there are no more expert than you or I are. They just post a lot on an oil forum instead of a motorcycle forum. Eventually you can sort out who seems to know what they are talking about, and who just talks a lot. ;)

Chris

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Agreed. Almost all discussions on oil go back to there. I keep one thing in the back of my mind when perusing their forums...the posters there are no more expert than you or I are. They just post a lot on an oil forum instead of a motorcycle forum. Eventually you can sort out who seems to know what they are talking about, and who just talks a lot. ;)
and in the end, none of it really makes any difference anyway since the guys who just talk a lot have no more oil related problems than the guys who know what they are talking about. Just because you can analyze something to death doesn't mean you should.

Bike
R1200rt
Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe we should all buy Ducatis and then the energy conserving label will be irrelevant. :potstir1:

Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
No idea what that that means and I don't have any desire to investigate it either as I don't use it. I no longer use any oil that says that it conserves anything. I don't know what the situation is like in the US now but here it has become difficult to find any oil that isn't bottled specifically for motorcycles that meets the specifications in the manual. After all of the 10W30 went resource conserving there was still 10W40. No I can't find any of that either. All the retailers around here seem to have gone to 0W20, 0W30, 5W40, etc. Plain old 10W30 or 10W40 that is not energy/resource conserving seems to have disappeared. My last oil change I gave up looking for a suitable automotive oil and bought Honda oil.
IMO, I think we're headed that way, too. It may just take a bit longer for us to get there.

Bike
2004 ST1300
what about the old rotella t6 http://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-US/66803a4f-1305-49ec-b02f-1985fe7599bd.pdf states energy saving???? just want to make this thread last longer:threadbomb1:
It was meant to be a comparison between synthetic T6 and the conventional T3 15w-40 stuff in the intended market (commercial diesels, over the road semi-trucks, etc). Switching from T3 to T6 would save some fuel/energy.
Had nothing to do with the "Energy Conserving" and now "Resource Conserving" labeling that we with wet clutches want to avoid.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Chris
From BTOG........................

Attachments

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
I made a choice on what oil I'll use the next 30,000 miles in my bike. Found this on the closeout rack at the Walmart market store today.

Edit, after 7,000 miles on the "new" Rotella "blend" no clutch slippage has happened.

Attachments

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I made a choice on what oil I'll use the next 30,000 miles in my bike. Found this on the closeout rack at the Walmart market store today.

Edit, after 7,000 miles on the "new" Rotella "blend" no clutch slippage has happened.
$9 a gallon! I'm going to Wally World right now to look for some!

jdmccright

Vendor
Bike
2000 ST1100
If anyone cares on this old thread, I just walked into Walmart yesterday and bought some Rotella T6 15W-40 and it still bears the JASO MA/MA2 certifications. $22 for a US gallon.

Top Bottom