NT1100 is it the new ST?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nope.. it's the new NT... lol

There are a few non-Honda ST-alternatives if you don't want a Wing like the FJR/RT and then you cross segments like ADV bikes on one end before you go the other direction towards the Wings/K1600s.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It's not available here in the USA, and it's not known when or if it even will be. There are many ride reviews from across the pond on YouTube.

Bike
Vstrom 650
If they had made it shaft drive it had a real chance in that part of the market imo, as it is compared with the Tracer 9 GT and Versys 1000 GT etc it's got a lot of competition in the same category.
Looking forward to test riding an NT1100 though at some stage.

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Despite the technological advances in chains, I also still prefer shaft drive. It's also daft they didn't make the panniers big enough to take a helmet.

I'm enjoying my VFR1200X Crosstourer (V4, check; shaft drive, check) but once I've fixed up my ST1300 I may well go back to that, even though it's twice the age of the Crossie.

20220326_152409.jpg

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I think the 1200X, as per post #6 is about as close as Honda has come, so far, to a replacement for the ST.

No NT for Canada as well, as per a check on the Honda Canada site. I think the NT would appeal to many looking for a mid weight sport touring bike, maybe similar to the Versys 1000 or the Tracer GT. The 20 liter side bags are ridiculously small for a supposed touring bike, 30 L should be the minimum size.

If you're into a a direct replacement for the ST I think the FJR or the RT is about as close as you're going to get and both are great bikes.

Bike
VStrom 650

Has anyone ridden this Africa twin street? since Honda has all but abandoned the ST line is this the best alternative... I am simple not ready to all in gullwing ... NOT yet!
2022-honda-nt1100-first-look-sport-touring-motorcycle-17.jpg
I've only sat on one, but it's no ST. My knees were pushed up against the bodywork quite uncomfortably although a test ride and lower pegs might change my mind. I think they're pretty much sold out here with more arriving in May.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I think the 1200X, as per post #6 is about as close as Honda has come, so far, to a replacement for the ST.

No NT for Canada as well, as per a check on the Honda Canada site. I think the NT would appeal to many looking for a mid weight sport touring bike, maybe similar to the Versys 1000 or the Tracer GT. The 20 liter side bags are ridiculously small for a supposed touring bike, 30 L should be the minimum size.

If you're into a a direct replacement for the ST I think the FJR or the RT is about as close as you're going to get and both are great bikes.
Agreed. All of us that has owned an ST whether it be 1100 or 1300 know that these can't be beaten for the wind and weather protection they afford. Or the mounting capacity these things have or the true comfort on a 500 mile plus day. So that would be the bench mark. I ride with a member that has a couple of dual purpose bikes and he seems to be ok with the long distance ranges of his bike. Think I'll ask Dennis how wet he gets in those frog stangler rains I know he runs into.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Agreed. All of us that has owned an ST whether it be 1100 or 1300 know that these can't be beaten for the wind and weather protection they afford. Or the mounting capacity these things have or the true comfort on a 500 mile plus day. So that would be the bench mark. I ride with a member that has a couple of dual purpose bikes and he seems to be ok with the long distance ranges of his bike. Think I'll ask Dennis how wet he gets in those frog stangler rains I know he runs into.
Can't be beaten? The benchmark used to be the ST1300 for me but my BMW RT has better weather protection, no heat, and is quieter in the cockpit.

Bike
2000 ST1100
I like the look of this Suzuki 1000 GT. Maybe not for two up but I think it is very "Sporty"

1648747570373.png
This reminds me of the old Ninja' that Kawasaki tried to turn into a sports tourer. Yep it's been tried before long ago.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
Can't be beaten? The benchmark used to be the ST1300 for me but my BMW RT has better weather protection, no heat, and is quieter in the cockpit.
The RT1250 is very much on my radar when I have to retire old red. The bike not me:rofl1: Been watching you guy's owner reports especially Mellows. Most seem very favorable.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
NT what? V4? Shaft drive? Nope, sorry. Try again.
Cobbling together pieces from the parts bin isn't going to satisfy this crowd.

STOC #
The RT1250 is very much on my radar when I have to retire old red. The bike not me:rofl1: Been watching you guy's owner reports especially Mellows. Most seem very favorable.
I really like the rt1250 also, but in Canada it’s the same price as a new wing. Only the FJR is a similar priced shaft drive to replace the ST1300. All others are chain drive which I prefer not to go back to.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I really like the rt1250 also, but in Canada it’s the same price as a new wing. Only the FJR is a similar priced shaft drive to replace the ST1300. All others are chain drive which I prefer not to go back to.
In the U.S. it seems to be priced between the Base Goldwing and the Goldwing Tour so further clouds the issue.

The FJR is the direct competitor to the ST for a long time and still is... The RT and even RS are decent shaft drive options if you don't want an ADV style bike.

STOC #
In the U.S. it seems to be priced between the Base Goldwing and the Goldwing Tour so further clouds the issue.

The FJR is the direct competitor to the ST for a long time and still is... The RT and even RS are decent shaft drive options if you don't want an ADV style bike.
Would be interesting to see what a new St13 would be priced at today. Was about $10k CDN, cheaper than a wing. Now the chain bikes like loaded versys 1000 le se are that much

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Would be interesting to see what a new St13 would be priced at today. Was about $10k CDN, cheaper than a wing. Now the chain bikes like loaded versys 1000 le se are that much
Well, in the U.S. anyway, Honda no longer has any V-4... so, Would it be an africa twin engine w/shaft drive? That would take advantage of an existing powerplant but would need a lot of tooling to configure to a shaft drive.

Sadly, I don't know if the ST1300 or some form of it will ever return. Maybe a larger parallel twin shaft drive like what the Super Tenere has? For, such a small market.... doesn't make $$$-sense.

STOC #
Well, in the U.S. anyway, Honda no longer has any V-4... so, Would it be an africa twin engine w/shaft drive? That would take advantage of an existing powerplant but would need a lot of tooling to configure to a shaft drive.

Sadly, I don't know if the ST1300 or some form of it will ever return. Maybe a larger parallel twin shaft drive like what the Super Tenere has? For, such a small market.... doesn't make $$$-sense.
I agree. ST v4 won’t be back. Same as new 4 cylinder gl1200
Just glad I was able to have 2 of each over the yrs.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
That's what they said when they stopped making Subaru's with turbo's. After years of everybody bitching they started making them with turbos again. Iphones got bigger and bigger and then small was the 'new cool'. Fashions will come around again. Question is will we still be around to see it...

Top Bottom