NT1100 is it the new ST?

Bike
2008 ST1300
I was very intrigued by the idea of the NT1100. I like everything about it except for the chain, but because of the center stand it's manageable. I was considering turning my st and Harley into one (would be my first ever new bike) if/when it's available in the us.

I'm disappointed to learn that despite being built off of the AT, the NT lacks the adjustable suspension, and the IMU. (Both of which the AT has) I'm pretty sure I would give up the 30hp advantage of a n1000sx for an NT, but really wanted up to date safety tech in a brand new model. I would pay an extra grand up front for cornering abs, advanced tc, and adjustable suspension. I would also omit the TV in the dash if it helped...

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
I was very intrigued by the idea of the NT1100. I like everything about it except for the chain, but because of the center stand it's manageable. I was considering turning my st and Harley into one (would be my first ever new bike) if/when it's available in the us.

I'm disappointed to learn that despite being built off of the AT, the NT lacks the adjustable suspension, and the IMU. (Both of which the AT has) I'm pretty sure I would give up the 30hp advantage of a n1000sx for an NT, but really wanted up to date safety tech in a brand new model. I would pay an extra grand up front for cornering abs, advanced tc, and adjustable suspension. I would also omit the TV in the dash if it helped...
You probably shouldn't hold your breath. The IMU and safety tech are probably not coming because of the chip shortage.

As for the adjustable suspension, you may not need it. I have a BMW F800GT. It's much like the NT1100. I have a rudimentary Electronic Suspension Adjustment (Comfort, Normal and Sport). ABS, though not cornering ABS and traction control, though again, not cornering traction control.

I took some long test rides on both the R1200RT and RS models with their dynamic suspension adjustments, etc. I wasn't impressed. In the end, their suspensions felt worse than the GT's did. BMW did a good job with the F800GT's suspension, even though it was made to a price point. If BMW can do it, I know Honda can.

Chris

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #

The Versys LT SE I believe checks all of those boxes. It is essentially the same size/weight/dimensions of the NT. Might be worth looking into.

Bike
2008 ST1300
The Versys LT SE I believe checks all of those boxes. It is essentially the same size/weight/dimensions of the NT. Might be worth looking into.
My dad has a 2015 Versys, nice bike. I think my ideal new bike would be a ninja 1000sx with the hard bags, an inch of handlebar rise, painted a solid bright color (like white), not matte road camo with racer graphics, with a comfy seat. Call it a concours 1000...

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Well this thread is a bit of a read.... but I worked through it....

I have had many Honda motorcycles, including two ST1100's.... I have even ridden one of UP's fine dinosaurs, but that was eleven years ago.... had two NC750X's as well!

Most recent tourer was a BMW1250RT LE, which I enjoyed, despite the weight.... that there bike could be construed as having the wrong clothes on as it could lift it's skirt and go from nought to a driving ban really very quickly....

However, having put 20,000 miles on it in just over a year and with the "me getting older" bit starting to cause some issues with the weight, more the getting less fit really..... it was time to change before the warranty ran out and the next big service was due....

So, NT1100.......

Yep I found one in a dealer on the south coast and they were prepared to give me a decent trade in, so I rode down and picked up a brand new grey NT1100 DCT with the "Voyager" pack fitted.

That's topbox, comfort seats, comfort pillion pegs, spotlights and tank bag.....

Now someone mentioned a bike being second hand and having 27 miles on it... What is actually happening, a lot, is that Honda will not take an order unless it is for a customer, so bikes are being ordered with a "customer" name on it, supplied PDI'd registered and pushed into the showroom as a "cancelled order".....

So, brand new bike, less than one mile on it, but registered and now considered "used"!

I bought a brand new used bike. Comes with all the new bike stuff except there is a name on the registration document already.

All that said, the bike is good, it feels a lot lighter than the 248kg it purports to be and compared to shoving the RT up the incline from my garage backwards and turning it in a limited space, the NT is far easier to handle in this scenario.
Riding it, well it's not an ST11 or 1300, but the AT based twin delivers slightly more than 100bhp and ample torque.
The DCT, well, new to me, but I have had no issues as I used drive "D" mode and press the down shifter on approach to bends or junctions to be in the right gear that I want.
Also use the up shift if it doesn't change up when I think it should, which isn't very often.

Economy, I have only done 550 miles so far but at an indicated 70mph on the motorway and a bit of mixed riding it has been returning over 60mpg (imperial).

The comfort seat, well maybe for short distances, but not IBA rides or long days without multiple breaks!

You need to bear in mind I had a Russel on the RT, so perhaps not too fair a comparison.

Luggage, well I took my RT shaped pannier inner bag, not a BMW branded one, out of my RT pannier and put it in the left hand Honda pannier without issue.

You do get inner bags for all the boxes with the bike, although the topbox bag is not full height so leaves space for other stuff.

On the last bit of my journey home with the bike, in the dark on a quiet stretch, I did open the tap.... not all the way initially and the exhaust note got a bit growly and the bike accelerate quite well, so I opened it to the stop and the world sped up and the exhaust note really got rorty!
As the speedo passed through a large number starting with a 1, I closed the tap and slowed down... still breaking it in you know.

Summing up, a decent touring style bike that will do whatever I want and I will not be worried about reliability or warranty issues, even after the two year warranty, then two year extension
I will buy if I keep the bike, runs out... well, it's a Honda.
It is reasonably well put together, doesn't have the fancy shmancy electronic suspenders, but then, the price isn't anywhere near the ones that do, even the ATAS that shares the frame and engine pallet, albeit in a slightly different state of tune.

So not a replacement ST, it has a chain, so what, pretty much anything will have that to meet Euro 5 and later legislation on this side of the pond.

I guess that we are done with big V engines in new bikes and even BMW will struggle to meet Euro 6 or other similar stuff.

When they do send it to the North American market, give it a try, whatcha got to lose?

Hope this helps.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, that NT is barely released, now this...

Bike
R1200rt
Well, that NT is barely released, now this...

340 not a big number considering how many were built. Recalls are becoming normal seehttps://www.femamotorcycling.eu/consumer-information/rapid-alert-system-recalls/

Bike
R1200rt
Which is the concerning part... :oops:
many are nothing. Worked at a Dodge dealer and one recall was make sure a cable bolt was tight. Never found one loose. some of the software issues are found by miles of riding. The fact that riders want all the fancy electronics add to the problems.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Going back to the basis of this thread, I was curious about the UK/EU Spec for the ST1100, having had two and the spec of the new NT1100 as far as the engine output goes..... the results are... interesting, to say the least!

ST1100, V4, 1084cc, BHP 101.4 (74kw), Torque 111 Nm (83ft/lbs), Weight 297 kg dry

NT1100, Parallel twin, 1084cc, BHP 100.6 (75kw), Torque 104 Nm (77ft/lbs), Weight 248 kg (kerb wt for DCT)

Remember you lose more power via the cardan shaft than via a chain drive and the NT engine is across the frame not in line, so less losses.....

I thought this very interesting especially as the NT is a lot better on fuel and in DCT mode acceleration is quite liner and rapid..... very similar if you are quick and smooth on the upshifts on an ST!

So perhaps not so dissimilar after all apart from the seat..... and the luggage capacity, but not a lot in it.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
ST1100, V4, 1084cc, BHP 101.4 (74kw), Torque 111 Nm (83ft/lbs), Weight 297 kg dry
NT1100, Parallel twin, 1084cc, BHP 100.6 (75kw), Torque 104 Nm (77ft/lbs), Weight 248 kg (kerb wt for DCT)
glossy pamphlet specs alone won't give much clue about the actual riding characteristics...
I'd need to experience/feel the thing during take-off, acceleration, handling trough our very narrow, steep backsweeps in 2n gear, etc...
And a 4-cyl has a working circle with every rotation, a 2-cyl only every 2nd...
So perhaps not so dissimilar after all apart from the seat..... and the luggage capacity, but not a lot in it.
Lack of fairing on current designs is one of my largest objection...
My GF and I just spent >2 weeks vacation, she on her NT700VA, me on the trusty ST1100...
Wind and weather protection? I sit in a comfy bubble, in a downpour (and we had like a whole day in some hefty rain) the tip of my boots and top of the helmet see some water... my GF on her only half/narrow-faired NT got pretty soaked though...

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
The only replacement for me is the FJR / RT, Shaft, windshield, great performance fair storage etc etc. I knowingly passed it up even with better performance specs for the ST 1300 (the whole is greater than the sum of its parts!). If I am ever forced to by an insectoid chain driven thumbnail for a windshield, I will most likely go with a Hayabusa with panniers. GREAT performance etc etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom