NT1100 is it the new ST?

Bike
VStrom 650
That's what they said when they stopped making Subaru's with turbo's. After years of everybody bitching they started making them with turbos again. Iphones got bigger and bigger and then small was the 'new cool'. Fashions will come around again. Question is will we still be around to see it...
Yes, fashion goes full circle, although I'm never wearing flares again.
But........manufacturers are already stating their end dates for ICE powered bikes and it's not that far away. We might get a V4 shaped battery before we get a new V4 ICE 1300 cc powered motorcycle.
I believe the V4 provides a great engine for a motorcycle, I even own one, but it's not the only answer to the power source for a motorcycle.
Honda have already produced new touring capable motorcycles, even V4's, but they haven't been warmly received by us. There is no appetite to spend millions on a new touring bike that few will buy.........because it isn't a Pan.
Just saying.
Upt'North.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
But........manufacturers are already stating their end dates for ICE powered bikes and it's not that far away. We might get a V4 shaped battery before we get a new V4 ICE 1300 cc powered motorcycle.
Absolutely. Need to phase out these capable machines and spoon feed us gruel so that when the electric bikes are ready our expectations will be low enough to make them palatable.

Bike
2014 CB1100DX
Despite the technological advances in chains, I also still prefer shaft drive. It's also daft they didn't make the panniers big enough to take a helmet.
I'm enjoying my VFR1200X Crosstourer (V4, check; shaft drive, check) but once I've fixed up my ST1300 I may well go back to that, even though it's twice the age of the Crossie.
The VFR1200X is on my wish list :)

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I just wonder if the AT motor will make a good sport touring powerplant.

The bike itself has heated grips and cruise, 2 things the ST 1300 sorely needed imo.

And with the NT no more burned-out windshield motors, no more SMC issues, and I've never read that of Africa Twins going thru thermostats. 3 weaknesses in the ST 1300.

IMO the weakness in the NT 1100 all depends on the desirability and function of the AT motor in a touring bike

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
That's what they said when they stopped making Subaru's with turbo's. After years of everybody bitching they started making them with turbos again. Iphones got bigger and bigger and then small was the 'new cool'. Fashions will come around again. Question is will we still be around to see it...
Might be around to see it, but too damn old to ride it! :(

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
NT1100 is it the new ST?
Not for me.
Not without shaft drive.
I don't think giving up two cylinders and 200cc would take much adjustment but no shaft drive no deal. It's otherwise nicely equipped even if I'm not crazy about the windshield.

The aesthetics are a little insecty for my taste but if it had shaft drive I'd be really really tempted.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
So if they don’t make ICE bikes any longer, are they going to be 1500 lb terrible handling bikes because of a big heavy battery (in the tourer form), or will they just have terrible range and basically be of little use to the riding crowd?

Bike
St1300PA
Honda sucks they never put farkles on the st, my last st had all after market farkles , looking for a new bike I was looking at BMW 1250 because they are loaded but after a ride on one I didn’t like The pulsating cylinders , the st is so Smooth so I picked up a 4,000 mile st1300 P that’s in the garage getting all the farkles, Honda gave BMW gift by not putting farkles on their bikes.

Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
So if they don’t make ICE bikes any longer, are they going to be 1500 lb terrible handling bikes because of a big heavy battery (in the tourer form), or will they just have terrible range and basically be of little use to the riding crowd?
Range and recharge time are going to be the issue. A coworker and I were researching them yesterday. $20K might get you 150 miles (at low speeds), then it has to sit and recharge. Same old story it has always been. Would be okay for low to medium speed urban use but the concept really falls on it's face for long distance highway travel.

Top Bottom