Off-Season Book Reading?

Bike
09 ST1300
STOC #
We have reached the end of the season here in the Upper Midwest -- or at least the end is in sight. I spent last winter shopping for a sport-tourer and trying to sell the old cruiser, which will free up this winter for some basic farkling and some reading about motorcycles and/or motorcycling. I'm not necessarily looking for riding technique or instructional, although something along those lines that is actually readable and not a textbook would be interesting.

What books would people recommend for off-season reading? I'm thinking "Ghost Rider" might be a nice start, and am wondering what others might suggest?

(I've read both of the "Ewan & Charlie" books, so they're out.)

Thanks,

Andy
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Hi Andy,

If you're talking about "Ghost Rider" by Neil Peart, the drummer for Rush, you took the words right out of my mouth. That's the book I was going to suggest. He's a terrific writer and manages to insert humour, courage and hope into a pretty harrowing story. Hats off to him for having survived his ordeal and come out with a renewed love of life on the other side. :bow1:
Another one of Peart's books, called "The Masked Rider," is also well worth the read and is about his travels in Africa.

Patty

Patty

Bike
ST1300A 2006
I have to say that there are so many really excellent motorcycling book, both adventures and skills based offerings that it is hard to recommend just one. I live in Duluth, MN. So when I want a great book on motorcycling, I just go down to Aerostich (Duluth is their HQ) and browse.

The amazing thing is that Andy Goldfine and his staff live and breath motorcycling...they have done the work of collecting the best offering of motorbike books I have ever seen. I think they have seven or eight...maybe ten, categories of books so you can always find something of interest. Here is the link: <http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/books?order=position&dir=asc> I always tell my wife that she can't go wrong getting me a book on riding skills or touring adventures for birthdays or Christmas (...if it is something expensive, then I want to pick it out!).

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Leanings and Leanings 2 by Peter Egan. Both are collections of columns and short stories best nibbled rather than eaten all at one time.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
While you're reading Ghost Rider take note of some of the books that Peart's reading while on the road. I picked up Edward Abbey's "The Monkey Wrench Gang" after becoming aware of it there. Quite a good read. I'm also due to get some Wallace Stegner after his mention in GR. Not motorcycle realated but good reading nonetheless.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Leanings and Leanings 2 by Peter Egan. Both are collections of columns and short stories best nibbled rather than eaten all at one time.
I couldn't put either book down, and have read and re-read. Another suggestion is 'Island Man' by Mark Gardner. Chronicles his privateer entry at the Isle of Man a few years ago.

Bike
BMW 2019 R1250 RT
STOC #
My Faorites; "One Man Caravan" by Robert Edison Fulton, he rode a 500 Douglas Twin around the world in 1932 and not only wrote about it, he also filmed the trip.

"Jupiters Travels" by Ted simon, he rode a Triumph Tiger 100 around the world in 1973. He recently duplicated that trip.

"Riding the Edge" by Dave Barr, he rode a Harley around the world, after losing both legs fighting as a mercenary in South Africa.

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy, not a motorcycle book but an intriguing read. Quote from the book "You ain't got but two shells. May be one. And they'll hear the shot. Yes they will. But you wont. How do you figure that? Because the bullet travels faster than sound. It will be in your brain before you can hear it. To hear it you'll need a frontal lobe and things like colliculus and temporal gyrus and you wont have them anymore. They'll just be soup".

OP
OP
Prosqtor
Bike
09 ST1300
STOC #
Re: "The Road" - I agree, it's a great book. I actually liked "Blood Meridian" and "No Country For Old Men" better though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not a motorcycle book, but definitely worth a read is a book called Bad Land.

It's about the history of eastern Montana and how the railroad companies sold a bill of goods to unsuspecting homesteaders - citizens and immigrants alike. The reason I suggest this is seeing you're from the upper midwest you may be interested in an area where you may have visited.

Along the same theme is a book called Great Plains - I'm half way through that one at present.

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #
"The Longest Ride" by Emilio Scotto telling of his 10 year 500,000 mile epic journey is an amazing story, "Against the Wind" and "Against all Odds" by Ron Ayres are good reads as is "The Fastest Man or The Fastest Man Around the World" by Nick Saunders.

Gary

DixieFlyer

Terry Melton
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Try the link in this post..... https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52469
not a book, but an online true story about a young fella who finds $751 and decides to use it to finance a motorcycle touring adventure. He has a gift for writing and it makes for an interesting couple of hours reading on a rainy or otherwise inclement day.
Rgds,
Terry

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
... some reading about motorcycles and/or motorcycling. I'm not necessarily looking for riding technique or instructional, although something along those lines that is actually readable and not a textbook would be interesting.

What books would people recommend for off-season reading? I'm thinking "Ghost Rider" might be a nice start, and am wondering what others might suggest?
Andy,

Ghost Rider was a very good read.

Here's a few other threads about books people have read. Plenty of good ones out there.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74734

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66351

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=360271

And fellow Canadian Max Burns has some good books (http://www.worddust.ca/index.html). He used to write a regular column in Cycle Canada Magazine and "Around the Bend (again)" is a compilation of some of his columns, "On Any Wednesday" is a set of short stories of rides in Ontario and Quebec, and "These Are a Few of My Favorite Roads" is a motorcyclists tour guide of Canada from coast to coast.

Bruce

See the rest of the world and subscribe to National Geographic. Worth the cost of the subscription for the centrefold last month.

Yes, I got excited about a 5 page full print of a redwood tree, from base to top with human for scale. I need to ride more.

Top Bottom